Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/293.5/145 Female 5'6"
BF:probably 100%
Progress: 9%
Question need help with numbers, hormones, thyroid

Hi all,

I've just been on this forum for a few days. (See my newbie post) And I just got back test results. The Dr. wants to put me on Cholesteral meds and I just don't want to take any more meds! I am on BP, depression, avandamet (the Dr. said glucophage wasn't helping-I was on 500 mg. per day. And the avandamet is making me ravenous!! He is switching to a lower dosage. Anyway, here are the numbers:

Cholosterol, total 232 mg/dL
Triglycerides 165 mg/dL
HDL 47 mg/dL
VLDL Cholesterol Cal 33 mg/dL
LDL Cholesterol Calc 152

LDL/HDL Ratio 3.2

The numbers don't look terribly bad to me. Is there a way I can reduce the "bad" numbers and raise the HDL naturally? I just started back on low carb about three days ago. I have read what the numbers mean at the beginning of the thread but some of those normal numbers are higher than what is stated on the test results.

Also, on a personal note, does anyone fight a low sex drive? I had my hormones checked and the testosterone was 0.5, the progesterone was 0.3 ng/mL (I think the "n" is a mistake)
I have also read that heavy women tend to have too much estrogen and not enough progesterone, and also that low progesterone can cause hair loss. And my hair has gotten very thin on top and thin everywhere. I am not "postmenopausal" yet so shouldn't my progesterone be higher?

I also have most of the symptoms of low thyroid and my TSH is 1.243. The test says the limits are 0.350-5.500.

I need help knowing what to do. I just don't want to fill up on meds if something else can be done. Please help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 23:49
Registered Member

Default questions, questions, questions??

Hi all,

I am posting again because no one has replied to my other post. Is there anyone out there who has any info? Please see my "need help with numbers" post.

Any info. would be appreciated. Thanks, Tina
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 02:39

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

The low carb diet should lower triglycerides, at least. HDL isn't real easy to raise. Exercise helps, and I have had luck with policosanol, available at health food stores.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 02:55
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tina,

If you have only just started back on low carb, your cholesterol numbers will improve greatly within the next few months.

Try not to worry too much, Tina. I would definitely refuse the drugs. In fact I have. My doctor would prefer that I take Lipitor because my LDL is a little high (higher than yours ) but as my HDL is now high, and my trigs low, I am happy with my numbers.
Quote:
HDL isn't real easy to raise.

Low carb will easily raise HDL. Mine has risen dramatically since I began low carbing.

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 07:00

Plan: protein power-GO diet
Stats: 224/179/166 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Everyone is different, I guess. After a year of low carbing, my HDL was the same, but my trigylicerides were dramatically down..bUt I completely agree that if you're just starting out on the diet you need to give it a chance without drugs.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:47
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

You're quite right, Ira, we are all different. From my reading, I had assumed that the rise in HDL was pretty common in LCers, but obviously not all.

I do take fish oil capsules, which has the double effect of helping my arthritis as well.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 23:00
Registered Member

Thanks Rosebud and Ira- I appreciate the support. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right path.

the pharmacist has called twice to say the meds are ready. I just don't respond to the messages!
Thanks again! Tina