Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 21:47

Plan: CKD
Stats: 324/171/180
BF:55%/20%/8%
Progress: 106%
Lightbulb My CKD plan.....open to suggestions

first off: 5'8", 171#, 20% bf (closest estimate).

I've done quite a few types of 'diets' in the last few years and have hit a brick wall. I've gone from 324 to 171 and my body is now completely adjusted to the effects of dieting (damn adaptive nature of humans

Since I used to be on the 'fat-is-satan' type of diets, I decided to read up on how humans physiollogically respond to food. The CKD seems like it might just help me meet my goals since I do brief (20 min) HIIT cardio sessions 3x a week and lift 3x a week.

I'm planning on staying in ketosis up two 2 weeks or so, sooner if I can't complete my workouts to see how long I need to set my intervals. I started keto on Saturday and believe I'm in ketosis now....will have a better idea tomorrow since I just picked up some ketostix.

Right now my diet is comprised of 141g fat, 172g pro and 44g carb (with fiber, 19g without fiber). Which makes my caloric intake 2050 calories per day (171 x 12 = 2050). I also use ALA to limit blood glucose, right now I use about 1.7g/day but will switch to about 600 mg/day during LC days and use 1.7g/day on my carb-load day. I also use a ECA stack and plan on adding some yohimbe HCL to it (small ammount at first to see if I can tolerate it). I also use glutamine, 30g a day split up. 10g waking up/going to bed and 10g before a workout. I also use thyroid enhancers since I have been dieting for so long (I REALLY can feel a difference in body temperature when I use thyrosine or glucolean!). I also use a little 5-htp and green tea extract just to cover my bases , along with zma (want to keep testosterone as high as possible...legally) when going to sleep along with good ol' EFA's.

Other boards have vast ammount of variation in what needs to be done to accomplish ketosis and what type of ratio f/p/c needs to be.....so I'm still fuzzy if I have the basics down (which is a pain in the a$$ since I've read so much info about CKD lately). My biggest concern is with my supplements since it seems like few people have tried ALA or use glutamine while on a CKD. A few people who have had great success with a CKD though have strongly suggested basically every supplement I have included (5-htp being the least spoken of).

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 16:02

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow, I'd like to see your supplement bill! <g>
Looks to me like you've got that part well covered. IMO, get in some Vitamin C, B-complex, E and Potassium. If you are trying to crank up the testosterone, take something like Saw Palmetto for prostate support. Possibly some I3C to suppress estrogen, as it rises along with the testosterone. Just sync up all this with a workout plan like Lyle's or TrainerDan's (it's in the CKD post). Or some of the other plans around here.
And of course eat according to the CKD plan. There's a calculator in one of the stickies that will give you some guidelines.
You aren't fat, so I assume you want to add some muscle and get more cut? This should work.
It's said that losing fat and adding muscle simultaneously is difficult, and you have to find your 'sweet spot' in your program that will allow that to occur. So just experiment and see what happens. Let us know how it's going.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 16:51

LOL.....yeah, my supplement bill isn't small

The most expensive stuff is the ECA stack and the thyroid enhancer from biochem. Of course all together it's a good chunk of change!

I just picked up some potassium (NoSalt)....oh my gosh I feel better after one day! I calculated that I was only getting about 1g of potassium a day, 2.5g short of the RDA, maybe 3g or so short of what I should have since I work out. Of course it could be the yohimbe hcl added to the ECA as well

I might not be 'fat' now, but I've still got a significant gut to get rid of. Comming down from 324 lbs. takes it's toll, and of course the midsection is the hardest to get rid of. Right now I'm in ketosis so most of my excess water weight is gone and I can get down to the details of keto to see if it's working or not.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 09:28

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Holy shite!
I just noticed your starting weight. That is totally incredible! You've gotta be one for the record books.
Did you recently switch to CKD? How did you get where you are today?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 10:49

Tomorrow will be the end of my first week of starting a keto diet.

LOL....I don't think that I'm one for the record books, I've seen posts on this board of people who have weighed more than I ever did and still lost a lot of weight.

I started very poorly, eating wise. I started walking everyday since I was pissed off that I couldn't walk 1-2 miles SLOWLY without breaking a massive sweat. Then I got a home weight machine and very, very slowly started eating 'better'. At the time 'better' was < 900 calories and < 7g fat a day. I was totally convinced that fat = pure evil. Long story short I started exercising more, now HIIT cardio + more intense, shorter lifting. I have been slowly raisning my fat ratio of my diet ever since I started 'dieting' as I read more and more information. 7g/20g/60g/160-170g

Understanding how the human body works and exercising + educated eating has helped me more than any single diet 'plan' out there.