Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-20, 04:30

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default High-fat keto diets can prevent or reverse damage from heart failure

High-fat keto diets can prevent or reverse damage from heart failure

https://www.studyfinds.org/high-fat...-heart-failure/

Quote:
It seems like there’s a new dieting trend every year which fans say is the best for your health. For those who enjoy diets that include more fat in their meals, a new study has good news for you and your heart. Researchers at Saint Louis University say diets high in fat and low in carbs, like the ketogenic diet, can not only prevent but also reverse heart failure.

The study on heart failure in mice and humans finds the muscles of the heart need large amounts of chemical energy stored in nutrients. This energy fuels cardiac contraction. The results show keto diets — which are rich in seafood, low-carb vegetables, meats and cheeses, and superfoods like eggs and avocado — fuel this process better than foods rich in carbohydrates.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-20, 07:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

While eventually supportive of keto for heart health, the intro sentence was poorly chosen. "It seems like there’s a new dieting trend every year which fans say is the best for your health." Keto has been rocking along since DANDR published in 1972.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-20, 09:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

The full University press release was on Medical Express.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020...s-reverse.html?

My first response was ~justsaysinmice but first post version of the story specifically states human hearts. Not clear how they decided that but whatever.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-20, 10:33

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The term "high fat" is relative. Compared to the high carb, low fat drumbeat recommendations we've heard from the "experts" over the past 40 years, eating low carb to produce ketones and use fat as energy may be perceived as high fat comparatively, but it's not if done correctly. I'm tired of hearing "high fat" associated with a keto approach, as it's confusing and brings me back to the days when bulletproof coffee and fat bombs were popular before people were corrected by Drs. Westman, Unwin, Naiman, Hallberg, and others providing better guidelines and convincing many that fats are healthy, but they don't have to be an emphasis. To the uninitiated coming from the high carb, low fat approach, "high fat" is a lightning rod that introduces what may be a healthy lifestyle option in a very negative way.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-20, 11:30

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Being weight stable for years now, I figure my net intake of fat is around zero.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 04:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Being weight stable for years now, I figure my net intake of fat is around zero.

Teaser: balanced diet!

I also suspect, as with so many things, proportions vary. Mr WereBear is squicky about fat, and wants all meat drained, while I revel in it, and VLC with lots of fat works well for me.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 10:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Is your husband Jack Spratt? :-)
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-20, 10:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

They left out that ketone supplementation by itself didn't improve heart function/decrease damage much. As a muscle, I'm not sure the heart would turn to ketones for energy in a big way, with keto adaptation, muscle relies heavily on beta oxidation of fat. The twenty four hour fast mentioned--it takes days, maybe a week, for a mouse to starve, so that's relatively long.

Entirely different but somewhat related;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2700149/

Quote:
Studies in mice indicate that the gut microbiota promotes energy harvest and storage from components of the diet when these components are plentiful. Here we examine how the microbiota shapes host metabolic and physiologic adaptations to periods of nutrient deprivation. Germ-free (GF) mice and mice who had received a gut microbiota transplant from conventionally raised donors were compared in the fed and fasted states by using functional genomic, biochemical, and physiologic assays. A 24-h fast produces a marked change in gut microbial ecology. Short-chain fatty acids generated from microbial fermentation of available glycans are maintained at higher levels compared with GF controls. During fasting, a microbiota-dependent, Pparα-regulated increase in hepatic ketogenesis occurs, and myocardial metabolism is directed to ketone body utilization. Analyses of heart rate, hydraulic work, and output, mitochondrial morphology, number, and respiration, plus ketone body, fatty acid, and glucose oxidation in isolated perfused working hearts from GF and colonized animals (combined with in vivo assessments of myocardial physiology) revealed that the fasted GF heart is able to sustain its performance by increasing glucose utilization, but heart weight, measured echocardiographically or as wet mass and normalized to tibial length or lean body weight, is significantly reduced in both fasted and fed mice. This myocardial-mass phenotype is completely reversed in GF mice by consumption of a ketogenic diet. Together, these results illustrate benefits provided by the gut microbiota during periods of nutrient deprivation, and emphasize the importance of further exploring the relationship between gut microbes and cardiovascular health.

This makes fat metabolism not an alternative fuel, but more of an essential element
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-20, 08:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Is your husband Jack Spratt? :-)

LOL! We laugh about that