Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 04:10

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Is There Such A Thing As Eating Too Much Fat?

Granted this is a low-carb forum
BUT the purpose of low-carb is to lose weight

Is it possible that weight gains while eating at or less than 20 total grams carb/day may be due to overeating fats?

Or is it always just fluid retention?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 05:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Of course it is possible to Overeat Fat!! We don’t count calories but Calories Do Count. If you want to Lose Weight, you can’t drink loads of Butter and Coconut Oil in coffee. You keep carbs very low, under 20g, to force your body to use its own stored body fat. If you eat too much fat...it won't.

Don’t make these mistakes:
https://youtu.be/8mqHJh3xEWU

Ps: there are other health reasons that a high fat ketogenic diet works to control symptoms (epilepsy, dementia, etc) but you asked about weight loss.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-12-20 at 07:21.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 07:26

BF:

Janet, could not access the video.
I keep carbs at or below 20 gm total and calories at 1500 or less --mostly about 1200
I try to eat 110 gm protein but mostly don't get up that high
Just wondering if I should cut fats.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 07:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Janet, could not access the video.
I keep carbs at or below 20 gm total and calories at 1500 or less --mostly about 1200
I try to eat 110 gm protein but mostly don't get up that high
Just wondering if I should cut fats.

I found that without changing my "numbers," I broke a stall by grouping the same food into bigger, less frequent, meals. Instead of the classic "three meals and two snacks" so many of us were trained into, we just ATE BIG MEALS with the same daily stuff.

This was a game changer for me, who was used to calorie counting and those doll-sized plates of the Portion Size game.

Check out this thread:
The case against snacking
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=423179

For some tales of people who tried this tactic with the same success I did.

This is a less scary way to look at Intermittent Fasting, which most of us find really useful in breaking a stall and getting some dramatic results. We have to lower insulin to get the ball rolling right.

Just as contrast, in my case, I lost 40 pounds last year with lots of fat and very low carbs. When I eat a lot of fat, I seem to eat less of other stuff, and my meals keep me from being hungry for hours and hours.

For other people, cutting back on the fat does work wonders. That's why we say it's:

N = 1

because the key to success is figuring out what works for us, now. It's probable that decades of crash diets and disordered eating means I had to be on my current, to-some-drastic, program for success.

So don't be afraid to think outside the box you are in.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 08:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Don’t make these mistakes:
https://youtu.be/8mqHJh3xEWU

Link works for me, to find it yourself go to YouTube, Adapt Your Life channel, search for the topic: Don't Make these Mistakes. There are over 300! videos on that channel explaining ketogenic diets.

Three Biggest Keto Mistakes (net carbs, letting macros drive your protein, adding too much fat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mqHJh3xEWU

How to Go Keto the EASY WAY (Tips & Tricks) Comments on macros, fasting or time restricted eating, artificial sweeteners, and much more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_bdziQZS98

What Should My Fat Intake Be On a KETO Diet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRHS8oUDXFc

Keto Myths (calories again)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ-WZ2TYx58

Note in all of these explanations, it is a mistake to ADD fat. But DO eat the fat that comes with real, whole foods; bacon, eggs, chuck roast, dark meat chicken with skin, a pat of butter on your green beans to make them tasty. Not a half cup of butter in a dessert or coffee.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-12-20 at 08:07.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 08:20

BF:

Wearbear - I don't snack
My last meal in a day can be anywhere between 4 and 6 pm
first meal of day between 6 and 7 am
Sometimes last meal of day is just a low-carb hi-protein drink (which may be causing fluid retention because of the sodium content)

I am trying to be a diet detective to see what foods are causing fluid retention

or

if I am simply eating too much fat since carbs are under control

So I am looking to see what is triggering the weight gain
Protein at 110 gm/day or less is about 10% of calories (my computer program that I use to journal my foods does all this calculation for me) Carbs at 20 gm or less are around 2 to 5% so the rest is fat.

Questions I am asking myself:
Is it the macro percentages?
Is it a particular food? Or food group?
Is it the amount of added fat to give foods flavor?
Is it just the natural fluctuations of weight from fluid retention?

So, at the moment I am exploring the amount of added fat.

Is there a recommended limit to fat grams for fats other than those included in the food itself (i.e. Beef, eggs, olives) Looking at butter, cooking oils, salad dressings, flavorings, etc

As I said - just being a diet detective
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-20, 08:33

BF:

Thanks, Janet. Our posts crossed each other.

I am not a fan of u-tube, mostly because I can't hear well enough - so I prefer the written word.

OK - the point you are making is clear - NO ADDED FATS!

Just don't worry about the amount of fat contained in a given food

Sigh. It looks like eating will become unpalatable again, since I have lost my taste for beef, chicken and fish for some reason. Nothing really tastes good anymore.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 15:18

BF:

Jey, I have watched these 2 videos from Diet Doctor
Toward the end of the second video, he says it's OK to eat holandaise or bernaise sauce
I would consider them "added fat"
A contradiction?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/welcome-subscriber
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 17:30

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

I don't track anything but I can tell if I've had to much fat, because it causes um 'bathroom issues' When I first started transitioning to low carb I put 2tbsp of HWC in my cups of coffee. Within an hour I was running to the bathroom, as I was dealing with instant/uncontrollable loose bm's (sorry, TMI!). I actually thought I'd have to abandon low carb because I thought it was the removal of the carbs/fiber that was causing the issue, until I had a light bulb moment and reduced the HWC to 1tbsp per cup, and then spaced my coffee out further (so instead of back to back cups in the morning I wait at least an hour before next cup), and problem was immediately resolved.

If I have to much butter at once the same thing happens-it goes right through me!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 04:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Jey, I have watched these 2 videos from Diet Doctor
Toward the end of the second video, he says it's OK to eat holandaise or bernaise sauce
I would consider them "added fat"
A contradiction?

https://www.dietdoctor.com/welcome-subscriber

Those butter-based sauces would replace the pat of butter mentioned in post #5. Dr Westman and Eenfeldt do want you to use enough fats to make vegetables taste good...but not over- indulge. By no added fats, I meant what has become a problem with "internet keto" ....the butter in coffee, sweetened fat bombs, coconut oil smoothies. This is a "diet" that allows you to eat juicy, fatty burgers, whole eggs with a dab of mayo, so enjoy the real food. The 3 cups of veggies taste better with some fat...roast or stir fry a selection of veggies in some olive oil, add 2T of a butter sauce to asparagus, but don’t whip a 1/2 cup of cream for a dessert.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-15-20 at 04:30.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 05:08

BF:

Jey, by the way, thank you for the url from Diet Doctor. I was impressed with his weight chart. He recommends regular weighing and apparently he grafted his own weight fluctuations. WOW! And I thought mine were weird!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 05:51

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

I re-read the op and I did want to point out that doing low carb is not just for weight loss and many of us do it for health reasons. My recent blood work showed a 20 point increase in my HDL, and both my LDL and triglycerides went down, compared to my previous blood work, done right as I started transitioning to low carb. I haven't lost that much weight either, since I was already in maintenance when I made the switch, so the improved numbers aren't due to weight loss.

I have more energy now, all my GI issues are resolved. My mouth health has improved etc etc etc. And, low carb/carnivore has made maintenance easy for me, for the first time, which means I have a much better chance of continuing to maintain long term.

Anyways, just wanted to point out that weight loss is just one facet of doing low carb, there's so many more benefits than that though

Last edited by DaisyDawn : Wed, Jan-15-20 at 06:43.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 06:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Sometimes not eating enough will prevent loss. Seems contradictory, but I hear this over and over.

Perhaps ditch that hi protein drink for real food and see if that works. Real food has far more nutrients than what appears on the package label. Nutrients our bodies need.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 07:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I found that whey protein shakes caused a blood sugar bump. Even with fat, they digest too fast for my system.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 09:58

BF:

I got my first newsletter from Diet Doctor this morning. Is this really low carb? Vegetarian meals? The #1 recipe is made with rice and lentils?

"Want to get healthy?

Join our free 2-week Get Started Keto Challenge. It's the perfect introduction to a healthier lifestyle.

SUCCESS STORY: Can a simple diet change that breaks all conventional rules transform your life? Sarah would be the first to attest to that! All success stories >

VIDEO: With coconut cream, turmeric, and garam masala, this dish has an exotic and satisfying spicy flavor. All new videos >

TOP RECIPE: Dosa is a fermented Indian crepe made with rice and lentils. More new recipes >

MEAL PLAN: This week offers a delicious, colorful, and nutritious mix of vegetarian and vegan low-carb dishes. All meal plans > "

I wasn't enticed to follow the links

TOP POSTS

Coming soon: share with a friend and get a free month
We’re excited to announce our new referral program for members, coming later in January.

The best foods to control diabetes
What should you eat if you have diabetes? If you’re confused by this question because you’ve heard a lot of conflicting information, you’re hardly alone.

The New York Times starts 2020 with a feature on keto
The New York Times has released an in-depth article featuring the pros and cons of the keto diet.

Low-carb and keto pizza recipes
Do you miss pizza on low carb? There’s no need to – there are many great low-carb pizza options.

More posts