Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#46   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 10:17
Registered Member

Plan: my own low carb
Stats: 100/100/100 Male 50.0 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

ROOBINSKY...do you have a nickname that is shorter hate to call you ROOB!!! I think it is great you are ocming on board and smart as well to get the book. It makes a lot of sense. YES.. we aare ALL LOW CARB except for 6-8 hours a week!
Please com and post while going through the newbie jitters and getting ready to start. The more the merrier and love to share all of this!!

PAULETTIEPIE>>> can say that PIE word LOL.. PLEASE supply the link for that good find! I am going tr return the protein powder I got.. $10.00 is still ten bucks! SO, my smart and creative friend.... I do not like breakfast either... so have the coffee and cream, add a little later some breakfast ATKINS style.. how about a slice of the bacon or two, canadian ham? a slice of meat/chicken..venison>> egg?? Even on ATKINS he always said to have a protein with each meal...I prefer to have a crispy couple of slices of pig butt with my tea or coffee.. works for me to have a little something with the fluids
YES, I love the non tracking method and we have done the nutrient tracking for so long I know I do not even need to consider stressing over his charts.. we know our intakes on the same foods and which fall into P or F.. the N has me up a tree though That I would need to follow. YOU NEVER GAVE A THOUGHT TO BREAD???? I would use a loaf for a PILLOW if I could!!! OMG... I also have a brazillian pretzel in my future plans LOL!
ALL I CAN and WILL say is that plan is potentially fantastic and POTENTIALLY a disaster if not followed correctly. It is so easy to ignore gains and want to eat more everytday. On the TEAM where Paulette and I met, we have learned constraint. We have practices perserverence and CONTROL. We know the importance of weighing in and how the body works to make gains appear and not be fat gains. WE KNOW the importance of support. I HOPE to see others join in this CARB NITE thread. BE POSITIVE and OPEN MINDED and CAREFUL TOO !
I have not yet weighed in but will and I will chart my stats each day here as well.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 11:50

Plan: VLC
Stats: 331.8/182.0/175 Female 68.5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Here is the link for the Isopure protein on Puritan's Pride:

http://www.puritan.com/brands/natur...isopurezerocarb

It shows the serving size to be 2 scoops for 50g protein! I will probably only have 1 scoop at a time as I DO eat protein through the day, and I don't want TOO much of an overload.

When I look at the food rating for bacon, it shows it to be an F. A fried egg is an F (a boiled is an N), so since my cream is an F+ I would need a pure P or P+ to balance it or I will be heavy on the fat. That is why I would prefer having a scoop of protein powder (P+) - I can whiz it up with a cup of almond milk (F+) and have a nice balanced morning shake. Easier and more pleasing than having to make ham or some other meat. Although I love bacon & eggs, I would actually prefer them for lunch!

From what I understood, an N food has a good balance of fat and protein, so you don't have to worry about adding something extra to it. A ground beef patty is an N, so I can have that at dinner with my condiments and some asparagus (P+) with butter (F+) and be a well-balanced happy camper. I already had a chicken breast (P+)/spinach (P+) salad with avocado (F+) and sour cream (F+) for lunch, so that is well balanced also. I wanted some of my yogurt (F+) as a snack today, so I will need a P to balance it. I am thinking of SF jello (P+). I may mix the yogurt with the jello as I make it so it is a creamy jello. That will make a nice balanced snack for a few days.

It may look confusing, but it is actually simple. I just looked up the foods in his list. I had to figure my own yogurt and the avocado from his formula sheet. Both are F+. As long as I basically keep the balance, I should do fine. I am not going to fret much if I am not perfectly balanced. But I want to be sure I am not overly P or overly F day after day.

By the way, I am still tracking all my foods, but not paying much attention to the calories now. I just like to see what goes in my mouth. Besides, it makes it easy to see if the foods fit in the F, P, N ranges that way. I would like to get a handle on the things I eat and how they rate. I know that after a few weeks of this, I should be able to figure things out by heart.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 11:55

BF:

OH - I am considering posting my weight and measurements on the morning of my Carb Nite, then updating it daily so I can see the trends as the days go by. I am not sure if I want to start on Wed. the 17th or Thur. the 18th. It depends on how I feel and what the doc says because I may need to get new meds. I will see how the days after the CN progress to determine my next Nite. I am hoping to have one every 7 days.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 12:25

Plan: IF+Keto+Carb Nite
Stats: 239.2/231.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Welcome to the new members on the thread.

Saturday was my Carb Nite. I look forward to starting it all day long. I usually fast that day. On Saturday I had cereal with 2% milk, pulled pork sandwich with quoinoa salad and fries and gravy, and finished the night off with one bite brownies and cinnamon buns, heated up and topped with ice cream and whipped cream. Also had a donut.

Yesterday I just had coffee and bacon. Again, I'm usually not hungry the day after carb nite.

Today I've had bacon, scrambled eggs fried in bacon grease and topped with sugar free ketchup. Also enjoying my coffee and water, which I have throughout the day.

I *feel* lighter today and I don't have any cravings for the leftover carbage that is all over my kitchen counter.

I picked up some more zucchini yesterday and I'm thinking for supper I will make zucchini noodles and scallops. Not sure what the rest of the family will have.

A bit about myself. I'm 48 (birthday June 4). Married with a 17 year old son and 14 year old daughter. I'm a legal assistant and have been for the last 28+ years with the same firm. I love my job and honestly it's what keeps me sane a lot of days as our family is a bit dysfunctional to say the least.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-15-16, 14:27
Registered Member

BF:

PAULETTIE~~ You are going to ROCK THIS PLAN!!! Dumb ass me for thinking protein on the bacon.. I KNOW it is a fat and the eggs too!!! You are right to track. I will do that again too when life gets normal for me.. does it ever LOL ?
I begin my CN on Thursday.... wanna jin me? THE next week will be on Saturday though.No issues with a acouple of days later...Posting that way sounds fine to me.. It will begin with the upswing weight
TY for that link.... I will order some and add my sf syrups for a shake with ice. Sounds like great plan to me!

HI LIANNE.. Your meals sounded SOOOOO good! I enjoy the same things.. problem is that I am trying to find the perfect things to have that will not fill me up too much and that I can have all the way through! Gee... my older kid turns 50 in Oct!!! My grand sons are older than yur kids.. May want to adopt you ...GReat to enjoy your profession. Makes all the difference in the world. Family dysfunctional?? Even Ozzie and Harriet had druggies for a son and OMG THe dad in BRADY BUNCH is gay! no such thing as FUNCTIONAL or NORMAL.. or BALANCED PAULETTE knows what we have here, and there is no limit to what depth of dysfunction can be obtained This is my 2nd marriage.. met in 2001 not 3 months after my divorce of 37 yr marriage..Carl is 17 years younger happy me Would you post your weights and progress? That would help us see that we are just as normal in the losses and gains.. Both Paulette and I have remained on the A-TEAM as will Jodi ( my 45 yr old) and there we track daily and are supportive with the others that really is so great!
If you ever want to go there pop on!...
If you ever see me heading for a pitfall... YELL AT ME and warn me!!!
Here is a post from my J..~~~~~~
had a LOT a HUGE 20 oz mug of bouillion..last night.. really condensed as well..loved it and it did not love me I could not make a fist and my shoulder was beyond painful.. any swelling really shows up there now..had to pry the ring off my hand that last eveing was sliding off my finger!!! So, the 1.0 gain was not a surprise! That was after I had some serious time on the throne with GI activity only ! OY.

It dawned on me that my hopefull successful plan that is like my maintanace one can be altered....the basics are actually less strict and easier than Indution foods on Atkins...if i do that and then the one carb blitz as directed, the same things will happen and maybe a little more effectively.HMmmmm

My ex SIL lives in Ketchner, Onterio..Ex MIL was born in La Belle Provence ... I am in SE ALABAMA just north of the FL line where we do not use watches.. they use calanders and just days are a couple of decades old LOL..So, Jodi is here on this farm with her equestrian center..medalist and GRand Prix rider in dressage.... older one is an RN and older GS is in universtiy fast track to med school..younger is 16 and autistic and ahoot who is a genius in all things math and logic
SO, that's it for here.. no to the A-TEAM

I usually pop on this several times a dy in non harvest time
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 10:33
Registered Member

BF:

have some questions and have some answers too.... I am again reading the new bible CNS! Are we to have one protein portion with a fat portion together or can it be separate? Not sure on this.. re reading for that... I know carbs are better at night etc... but have a friend thatsays she has a protein shake 1.5 hours before bedtime. Is that best??? SIGH... newbie life can be hard.. back to the book
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 11:20

BF:

From what I read in the book, Keifer was stressing the importance of FAT to be included with any protein, and a protein/fat balance should be included with every meal. This is important for those that have never done ULC before.

My problem is that I tend to have a fat-only meal at breakfast. I am sure this is not bad, but I will try to change my habits and include a protein at breakfast just for the balance. I never have a protein-only meal. I know better than that. Low fat dieting is not for me!

I would highly think that having the fat first then the protein a little later would not hurt. Or visa-versa. As long as they are not too many hours apart. Drinking my coffee/cream first thing in the morning, then having a little protein later seems easier for me than having to cook and eat something so early in the morning. I prefer to relax and drink my coffee right away, if you know what I mean, then think about food a bit later.

At least that is what I believe. I may be wrong. I may be over-thinking this whole thing. I just want it to be natural and stress-free. Therefore, coffee first, then maybe a small protein shake late morning.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 11:35

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I would love to try this program but read on a Q&A at Keefer's site that women have to eat a cleaner carb nite. Did anyone read this?
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 11:52

BF:

CRICKET - I think having a protein shake before bed should be A-OK, as long as it is not TOO much protein with no fat! In the book, Keifer notes: "Eating high levels of protein without enough fat or carbohydrates actually
accelerates the rate of muscle loss."

I wouldn't want THAT to happen!

JEAN - I, too, read that. In a couple places. He mentioned that men may be able to get away with eating a ton of junk, but that may not work well with most women. I agree. I am not a body builder, or even an exerciser. I don't want to pack on tons of sugar and fat in the form of donuts or pizza for the sake of pigging out on my carb night. I plan on eating something low fat initially to get the first insulin release, then eating a "normal" dinner with carbs included, then a carby snack before bed. That is my plan. I will ere on the side of caution - especially since I am diabetic. A donut splurge does not sit well on my mind...
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 15:07

Plan: Carb Nite Solution
Stats: 22/14/06 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 50%

Howdy! I'm Chelle. Ive known Mici for years I know a few of you from the challenge on the Atkins site and when it moved here. I dropped out as I was honestly not as strict as I should be for the A team but I also hate weighing all the time. Baggy pants and the tape tell me what going on. I just wasn't quite there yet when I joined the challenge.

I found CN last year and it made a lot of sense to me. I did low carb with a cheat day for years successfully before I found out I was doing it all wrong once I found LC message boards. As people who know me can attest the harder I tried to be the perfect low carb dieter the more I failed and the fatter I got! Bye bye cute little jeans I gain the 80 I had kept of for years back along with plenty of friends. Turns out I wasnt wrong with how I originally lost and maintained. It was right for me. Sound ridiculous typing it out! I was always thinking I needed to be stricter, better etc. I may be a slow loser but with CN is consistent, enjoyable and pain free!

Its nice to see you all giving this a go I'm excited Mici decided to try it.

Last edited by **Chelle : Tue, Feb-16-16 at 15:37.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 16:22
Registered Member

BF:

Hi ALL Y"ALL this is my planned thursday CN
OK... breakfast.. a cup of protein drink made with HC in it..4:30-5p, is the corn on the cob with some butter and another serving of protein drink... then pancakes with my home made home grown blueberry syrup and canadian bacon..dessert late snacks will be bakery items smile emoticon and of course the protein drink to wash it down!

I was told that just having the coffee and cream for breakfast and then have the protein an hour or so later.. I will do that. I can have a late hot drink and then have tuna salad..

HI and welcome JEAN...Of course men always get away with stuff LOL! I think our eyes are always bigger than our tummies anyway. So, my plans are set but I know that I will likely cut out the corn. No popcorn either as planned a while ago. ANd the bakery items will be replaced by the candies Carl brought home for me for Valentine's Day. I can munch on then here and there throughout the day ( maybe that pie IS coming back lol)... I think I have a slight grasp on my food companions now.

My life is a big mess right now so i need to keep this simple. Doing the ULC as we have done for years is easy so it is just putting the foods together. Jodi is coming on board tomorrow when she gets home from work.

CHELLE!!!!! XOXOX... I am thrilled you did come here! PLEASE do post your menus and meal pics.. this is right up Paulette's alley too!!! I am the one here that does not cook though! I think after this next cycle I will be doing the carb nights out for dinner meal and just bringing home veggie chips etc for snacks..I cannot have the donuts and breads.. aside from triggers they will kill my GI tract! Even choc is not good for me so after this first THURS that will end it. I will probably do a small amount of ice cream and pie for dessert. I like the idea of small amounts of protein drinks during the day.. I make it with HC anyway so killing 2 birds!

How does that sound???
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 16:23
Registered Member

BF:

Shout Out To Lianne And Glenda!!
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 18:34

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 166/156/145 Female 66
BF:24
Progress: 48%

OK so I am tentatively in. This seems like a fun group! Sunday night was a CNS before the actual start of the 10 days of <30 carbs for 10 days. But the week before I had started to get my food intake under control. I was bouncing arouund in the 161-162 range all week. So Sunday night my husband was moping around because we weren't having a Valentine's Day extravaganza and I finally snapped and gave in. I ended up having a very nice evening but high carb. I will spare the details.... Any how today, second day after the carb fest I lost 1.8 pounds. Monday I ate high fat very low carb. Medium protein. I wondered if this was from the carb fest on Sunday night? Besides. I have sincere doubts I will ever be 100% on plan forever. I can go for shorter periods but need to get back on low carbs once I've been off which is not always easy. Perhaps the structure of CNS plus support will be the missing link for me! My weights are in my log but Monday I was 162 and Tuesday 159.8.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-16, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:

HI Ya ROOB YEP, that's us...HEY.. maybe we have a name for this thread thanks to yu.. THE MISSING LINK TEAM!
I cannot speak for everyone, but CHELLE and I began Atkins a good 9+ years ago and met on a LC site She has learned that it was not right for her. I kept to it for many years and neve thought of going off UNTIL.... well, PAULETTE and I have been A-TEAM MAES for a year or sonow and we both had done extremely well..UNIL... I gained and she stalled... I finally became open minded enough to listen to CHELLE and checked out this CNS stuff.. so here I am.. and here is PAULETTE and hope you come on too.. LIANNE IS GREAT AND GLENDA too!! We are positive here. NO bashing>>>No stresses!!
With CHELLE here to help, this should be a musch easier deal. ROOB>>I am here because I began to find myslef going off plan more often. THis plan has facts and research behind it. I think the WHOOSH you had may have been contributed to with the hormone surge like CNS says.. at least that is what I would think to be positive Does not matter.. you lost so yea
Take your measurements!! You will lose inches more than numbers. I did fast!
I was 165.4 I think.. have to ceck my log I went up over the past 2 days with mega water retention.ALL OK.
I keep changing my CN foods!! YIKES... I have a feeling that I will get good and sick from the carb load! AND I know from past experience that when I go off big time I cannot wait to get back on the wagon! TOday is day 8 for me and I am ok. The carb nites once a week will seem too close!LOL
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-16, 12:50

Plan: IF+Keto+Carb Nite
Stats: 239.2/231.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi and welcome to everyone new!

I was on this site 9 years ago when I lost over 60 pounds. I maintained for over a year and then carb creep started and I just got lazy. Fast forward to last January when I discovered CNS. Bought the ebook and started. Fell in love with the program and noticed big changes, especially in my body shape. Slacked off for the better half of last year and recommitted on January 3, 2016.

I love my dirty carb nites. I would like to lose about 60 pounds, so maybe that's why I have more leniency. The 'pros' suggest following the book exactly for at least 2 months before you start tweaking things.

I only weigh once a week - on the morning of my carb nite. I don't measure my food or track my food, other than in my journal on this forum. If I had to start doing that then it wouldn't be fun anymore and would be something that I dreaded. As long as the overall graph line is going down I am happy.

The only exercise I do consistently right now is on my lunch break. I go on the treadmill and/or elliptical for 30 minutes.

My last carb nite was on Saturday. I started with 2 bowls of cereal (Lucky Charms and Chocolate Chip Cookie) with 2% milk. Went out for supper and had a pulled pork sandwich with fries and gravy and quinoa salad. Finished the night with 2 bite brownies (warmed in the mic) and topped with ice cream and whipped cream.

I usually fast the day of carb nite and most the day after carb nite.

I have not experienced any post-carb nite cravings or binges. The only time this has happened is when I have gone off the plan and my carb nite extended into more than the allotted 6-8 window (i.e. days long or more). When that happens is back to reorientation.
Closed Thread