Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 12:31

Plan: low carb vegeterian
Stats: 120/120/105 Female 154
BF:
Progress:
Question Not a Vegetarian but Meat and Dairy Free

Hello All Lowcarbers!!

I am a totally new to this site and have so many questions! I can't call myself a vegetarian because I would still have fish, but would avoid milk products and meat alltogether. I enjoy organic eggs and all sorts of fish that wasn't farm raised. My questions for now are: are teas still OK? That would include herbal teas as well. Or, can I use stevia powder in my recipies? I read it is still carb free but very sweet in flavor. How about licorice? I have just started my low carb diet today and I'm a bit scary. I can't call myself very fat, but losing at least 10-15 pounds would make me happy My height is only 5"1!

Please forgive me if I made some spelling mistakes: English is not my first language .

Yours Always Abbey

Last edited by abbey_i : Mon, Mar-22-04 at 12:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:25

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

I am sure it can be done it will just take a little more planning than with some. Just make sure you are eating enough though. I know I have had a hard time getting my calories up even using some dairy to help. Make sure that you get plenty of healthy fat like olive oil into your diet. I would also get on a really good vitamin. Once you are past induction you can eat nuts which will help a lot with getting your fat/calories up enough. Teas are fine and so is stevia. Goodluck.

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 17:27

BF:
Progress:

Hello Again!

Thanks Jenn for such an immediate response! That's what I actually thought. I also think it would be smart to get one of those "Low Carb Diet " books to read. It is just I have so little time for that.

Regards,

Abbey
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 21:19

BF:

You can get a lot of info off of the atkins official site. It's www.atkins.com They have the induction list of foods to eat and not eat for the first two weeks. After two weeks you get a lot more foods you can add back in. Almonds are high in calcium and a bunch of other vitamins and minerals so you might want to keep those in mind as a snack ((After the first two weeks are over)) My suggestion since your diet will be so limited anyway is to get on the Ongoing weight loss as soon as possible so that you can have a wider selection of foods to eat.

Jenn
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 06:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

How about nuts? Nuts are a good fat, too.

Teas are fine. I love tea. As long as it isn't presweetened you should be alright.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 09:37

BF:
Progress:

Hello All!

I was away for a while and it was so nice to find all the responses from you after I signed in. Thanks again for the suggestions!

I'm down by 4Kg (about 8lbs), and very happy. It was a rough week for me because I felt very weak all the time, but I survived. I guess one more to go?

Always yours,

Abbey
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-31-04, 09:49

BF:

LOL yep one more week then you can add more things back. Congrats on the weight loss so far. I know I felt like crap too my first couple weeks. I wasn't getting enough calories in I don't think. Once I moved into OWL after the 2 weeks were up I felt MUCH better.

Jenn
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:18
Registered Member

Plan: Pesco vegetarian/lowcarb
Stats: 180/175/127 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey_i
Hello All Lowcarbers!!

I am a totally new to this site and have so many questions! I can't call myself a vegetarian because I would still have fish, but would avoid milk products and meat alltogether. I enjoy organic eggs and all sorts of fish that wasn't farm raised. My questions for now are: are teas still OK? That would include herbal teas as well. Or, can I use stevia powder in my recipies? I read it is still carb free but very sweet in flavor. How about licorice? I have just started my low carb diet today and I'm a bit scary. I can't call myself very fat, but losing at least 10-15 pounds would make me happy My height is only 5"1!

Please forgive me if I made some spelling mistakes: English is not my first language .

Yours Always Abbey

I am a pesco vegetarian, which is no poultry,red meat, or pork , some fish, no seafood , and I am limiting my dairy to yogurt, maybe eggs if I go out.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:20
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmango
I am a pesco vegetarian, which is no poultry,red meat, or pork , some fish, no seafood , and I am limiting my dairy to yogurt, maybe eggs if I go out.

I love herbal green teas , and I am also a coffee drinker I drink lots of water 64oz. some days 40oz What do you usually have for Breakfast and lunch!!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:23
Registered Member

BF:

lets stay in touch, we almost eat the same thing!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:24
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmango
also go to fitday.com a free site to use as a food journal daily.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 14:29
Registered Member

BF:

I also started my plan june 7th seriously I have loss 10 pounds ,since the end of may!!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-04, 22:03

Plan: PP
Stats: 149.5/140.5/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 37%

sweetmango -- stevia is an excellent sweetener. I use it in liquid form (a few drops sweetens tea, water & lemon/lime) and also the powder for mixing into foods (ricotta filling, cheesecake, etc.). It has no aftertaste; the "licorice" taste people describe is a mystery to me, but maybe I just can't taste it. It's got 0 carb, 0 cal, 0 sugar alcohol, 0 chemical. Look in the "supplement" part of your store (it can't be labeled as a sweetener because the FDA is protecting the sugar industry by preventing stevia from competing, despite the obvious health advantages). It's awesome -- can't imagine ever using sugar or the frankensweeteners ever again!