Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 05:05

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%

What is embarrassing is that I call my son by my younger brothers name and my brother by my son's name. I am senior to both of them but not that senile surely?!

Last edited by rustpot : Sat, Aug-09-03 at 05:06.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-03, 13:17

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Rusty! Have we met before?
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 162/118/110 Female 63 inches
BF:29%/22%/20%
Progress: 85%
Default memory loss after 50

miz steaks
I noticed about a year ago that my short term memory was really getting bad, so I started taking ginkgo biloba. I think it has really helped me.
I haven't had any bad lapes of memory at work lately. It was getting really hard to cover it up, and now I think my memory is almost back to normal.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Aug-22-03, 19:32

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi Donna916ga--I'm not Mizsteaks- but I am impressed with what you had to say about the ginkgo biloba. What dosage are you taking? How long was it before you noticed an improvement? Thanks for the information. Alice
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 00:49
Registered Member

Default memory loss after 50

Ginkgo Biloba improved my short term memory I think after taking it a few weeks, 1 60 mg tablet per day. Now for about a month I have been taking 2 tablets of 60 mg per day and I think it works good. I'm going to go back to 1 tablet because I don't know how much to take and don't want to overdo. If I notice any setback I'll go back to 2 tabs of 60 mg per day.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 00:52
Registered Member

I still can't remember names of movies or people even though I can see their faces and other details in memory. That doesn't affect my job so I don't really care I just stay away from those subjects.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 03:50

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Gingko has helped me too. Brain processing speed slows down with aging, so that memory retrieval is affected...ever notice how when you try to think of something and don't remember it straight away, it often comes after a few minutes? (Or in the middle of the night!)

Val
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 09:29
Registered Member

Yes I do remember a lot of things later. My kids are probably getting use to my saying that I will let them know later about something. I wish I had started taking Ginkgo Biloba earlier and maybe I would not have lost so much memory. I also decided not to cut back on my 2, 60 mg a day. I can't take a chance on going backwards. I'm also don't think fast on my feet, so to speak. I always think of good answers later to questions. I don't know if I just process thoughs slower than others or I'm digging around in my memory for accepable answers. I also have become a horrible speller, it could be due spell check on computers.

These over 50 problems are almost overwhelming. I really did not expect all these medical problems to I was well over 70.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:01

I am 63 and only started taking Gingko about 6 months ago but for different reasons....I suffered a massive deep vein thrombosis in my leg over a year ago..gingko help circulation and thins the blood a bit. I participate in an online discussion list that is pretty intellectual, and the list owner observed recently that my contributions had taken a step up...so clearly it has helped a bit. But I still have word retrieval delay problems and blank spaces that happen...I am not freaked because I knew this was coming..it is just plain annoying. But it contributed to my desire to retire a year ago... Donna, looks like you are doing well on Atkins in any case! It is very slow going for me, even though I remain in ketosis.

Val
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

I find this interesting, must try this ginkgo b...

I tend to forget words -- plain old ordinary, every-day words -- and it does interfere with my job (I'm a tech writer) -- when I'm keying information in, the words flow; but when I'm talking I sometimes can't come up with a word. Never the new terms, or the huge strings, or the really-complicated ones -- but ones that I look like a fool for fishing for....

Several days ago, the word server got "lost" -- and in the computer world that's about as basic as you can get.

I mentioned it to my doctor, total non-worry on her part -- she said it's not Alzheimer's, just overload -- so does that mean senility is setting in (hey, I'm only 59, don't expect that until I'm in my 90s!).
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

and I also can never get my kids' names right, have to work down the list -- but then, I well remember my parents doing this, must be somewhat normal!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:46

As far as I understand it, it is normal. I too can forget everyday words. Here's what happens when you have Alzheimer's (fromhttp://www.aging-parents-and-elder-care.com/Pages/Age_Dementia_Symptoms.html):

Recent memory loss. Everyone forgets things for awhile, but remembers them later. Dementia patients often forget things, and never remember them. They might ask you the same question over and over, each time forgetting that you already answered it. They don't even remember they already asked the question.

Difficulty performing familiar tasks. Patients might cook a meal but forget to serve it. They might even forget they cooked it.

Problems with language. Dementia patients may forget simple words or use the wrong words. This makes it hard to understand what they want. That can cause an outburst of anger directed at the person they're talking to.

Time and place disorientation. Patients may get lost on their own street. They may forget how they got to a certain place and how to get back home.

Poor judgment. Anyone might get distracted and forget to watch a child closely for a short time. Dementia patients, however, might forget all about the child and just leave the house for the day.

Problems with abstract thinking. Anyone might have trouble balancing a checkbook from time to time, but dementia patients can forget what numbers are and how to use them.

Misplacing things. Patients may put things in the wrong places ... an iron in the freezer or a wristwatch in the sugar bowl. Then they can't find these things later.

Changes in mood. Everyone is moody occasionally, but patients may have fast mood swings, going from calm to tears to anger in a only few minutes.

Personality changes. Patients may have drastic changes in personality, often becoming irritable, suspicious or fearful.

Loss of initiative. Patients may become passive. They might not want to go places or see other people.

So relax.

Val
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 19:39

Plan: general low-carb
Stats: 194/184/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

I can't begin to tell you how much better it makes me feel to know that others have the same darn problem with memory that I do! I had several surgeries four years ago that left some residual brain damage (and don't my kids love THAT idea! LOL!) Usually by-pass patients regain that short term memory, but I have not recovered it very well. I also ended up with what I call alphabet dyslexia. I will be typing, writing, reading a simple word and reverse at least one pair of letters in it. So frustrating!

Thanks for keeping me company guys! LOL!
Nance
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 20:02

Yes, many people who have had by-pass surgery complain of memory problems, and many don't get it back too well either...but at least you know its not a progressive dementia disease thing like Alzheimers. I get the letter scramble when I am typing more than I used to...really annoying.

Val
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 21:05

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%

I always scramble or leave out letters too so unless I am in a hurry--I re-read things and correct them..Is that you Steaks!!!! Ha Alice