Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 08:42

Plan: LCHF / IF
Stats: 333/113/138 Female 5'6"
BF:BMI 56/18/22
Progress: 113%
Default The wakies

So I've recently found myself not sleeping -- surviving on only about 4 hrs sleep a day for a few days before exhaustion of that hits back. What do you do if your sleep patterns have been disrupted due to deep ketosis - I was well under 20g carbs a day then

I couldn't even force myself to sleep - is that normal? What do you do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 10:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Ramp up the carb count thru the day with the least at first meal and most at last meal.
This resets the cortisol- seratonin balance.

Seratonin is necessary to make melatonin.

Also take magnesium at end of day.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 17:59

thankyou so much, I shall be implementing that
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 19:33

BF:

let me know how it works for you....
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-20, 23:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've had this issue for years, although I don't consider it a "problem" as long as I make sleep a priority and nap if I'm tired.

I do what Arielle suggests - save carbs for dinner, take Mg at night. I also avoid caffeine after about noon, same with vitamin supplements. Vit D can keep you awake, as can B vitamins. (Read the ingredients on a can of Red Bull.) I use a sun lamp for SAD, but only when I first get up and maybe a bit in the afternoon when I come home from work - I dim the lights before bed and that includes my screens. Once I hit the hay, NO screens at all. I listen to sports talk radio if I need to calm my brain.

Overall, I'm satisfied with my sleep. My alarm rarely wakes me up; I'm almost always awake already. I try to look at it as an advantage. I hope you get things sorted out.

Oh, another thought: during this sleep struggle, were you losing weight fairly rapidly, and/or not eating enough food? When I was low-fat/low-calorie dieting as a foolish youngin', I was plagued with the same early waking. There's a theory that this is a throwback to our caveman times, when basically if you were starving, you'd better get up and go kill something to eat.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 07:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I got tremendous improvement in my sleep by following Dr. Jack Kruse's instructions for a Leptin Reset. Very keto, as well.

Leptin Reset Easy Start Guide

I start the day with a pound of ground pork or beef; topped with condiments like keto BBQ sauce and some coleslaw or pickles for taste & a bit of fiber. (My system can't take much.) Steak and eggs is another tasty way to start the day. When I first did it, I was so badly off I used whey smoothies and Betaine HCL to help me digest it. The goal is AT LEAST 50 grams of protein/fat within 30 minutes of waking.

But the energy bump was considerable, the sleep was deep and refreshing, and that's when the real healing starts.

With such a long lasting boost to my day, I have a "normal" lunch several hours later, like a generous meat and cheese sandwich on a coconut wrap, or a big slab of pork rind French Toast, no sweetener, topped with cream cheese and berries.

Even on "feast days" I'm done eating by 4pm, go to bed like 8 pm, and I'm up at 5. I'm shifting this since I used to go to bed at SUNSET and get up crack of dawn, which had some advantages for creative projects... but I never saw DH. And I like DH

So it's gradually getting more normal, but I'm just not going to push it to midnight, like I used to, because the sleeping hours before midnight are supposed to be particularly valuable. I figure if I can make it 9pm-6am that will fit my lifestyle now, and allow for social outlets with other people, not just the cats Who were thrilled to get up with me at the crack of dawn.

All part of resetting the endocrine system!

I cannot emphasize enough that my near-Carnivore/90% animal products Plan is the right one for me. I have NEVER enjoyed my food so much, or had such dramatically good health results, so quickly. So when my sleep started foundering, I went back to the Big A$$ Breakfast (as it is known in Kruse circles) several days ago, and got immediate good results, with improvements in the gap areas, and unchanged good things still perking along.

UPDATE: I had also drifted into lots of coffee, which I love, but two French Presses a day were too much. I cut it to ONE, then down to the present 2-3 cups of green tea before switching to non-caff beverages.

Coffee will return. When I can handle it. And after a grueling week at work, I consider it a useful evil. As long as I don't let it go too far.

Last edited by WereBear : Sun, Feb-02-20 at 07:04. Reason: addition
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 08:52

Thankyou for all your helpful posts

I was undertaking an experiment which was helping me get past ummm a weight stall - stall isn't the right word, it's a weight you've been before and cant get past it - up and down up and down geeeesh

I think I was eating enough - it worked
dinner and one or 2 shakes - low calories - under 20g and also using intermittent fasting hehehe I got that boost of energy on the 2nd day and I couldn't rest, bright eyed and bushy tailed for days lol I would go to bed at 6.30pm and be awake again at 11pm - thats it!

I'[m definitely going to be adding more carbs and magnesium I feel lost without (have had that yrs ago and felt healthy then), so will be getting some of that. Although I can't reset myself with servings of meat - I'm vegetarian - or lacto, ovo,pescatarian if I want to be politically correct hehe I am going to add higher carb vegies a little. Thankyou all so much onward to my pillow....
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 10:58

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I've had difficulty getting to sleep & staying asleep for years. I finally started taking melatonin - & it's working! I started low & increased the dose until I was falling asleep easily. Eventually, I started staying asleep (except for my normal getting up once to go to the bathroom - but now I'm falling asleep again after). I'm now reducing the amount of melatonin because I don't seem to need as much.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 12:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluej
Thankyou for all your helpful posts

I was undertaking an experiment which was helping me get past ummm a weight stall - stall isn't the right word, it's a weight you've been before and cant get past it - up and down up and down geeeesh

I think I was eating enough - it worked
dinner and one or 2 shakes - low calories - under 20g and also using intermittent fasting hehehe I got that boost of energy on the 2nd day and I couldn't rest, bright eyed and bushy tailed for days lol I would go to bed at 6.30pm and be awake again at 11pm - thats it!

I'[m definitely going to be adding more carbs and magnesium I feel lost without (have had that yrs ago and felt healthy then), so will be getting some of that. Although I can't reset myself with servings of meat - I'm vegetarian - or lacto, ovo,pescatarian if I want to be politically correct hehe I am going to add higher carb vegies a little. Thankyou all so much onward to my pillow....

Fasting can reset that "setpoint". See dr fungs information......its in there...
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 12:53

BF:

Also, choose the right magnesium. Mg oxide us useless. Try Mg citrate. It has a far better absorption rate than Mg oxide.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
I've had difficulty getting to sleep & staying asleep for years. I finally started taking melatonin - & it's working! I started low & increased the dose until I was falling asleep easily. Eventually, I started staying asleep (except for my normal getting up once to go to the bathroom - but now I'm falling asleep again after). I'm now reducing the amount of melatonin because I don't seem to need as much.

That’s wonderful! It didn’t work for me. Which just means different tactics work for different people.