Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-18-07, 20:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Gluten Free/Low Carb Raspberry Crumb Coffee Cake

I'm still working on the recipe still but I've had several very delicious ones. It, like many of my recipes, doesn't have exact measurements.

Preheat oven to 350

3/4 cup of coconut flour
3/4 cup of rice bran
2 egg
3/4 cup sugar substitute (Please don't use a liquid concentrate... you'll see why)
(Note: You can and should use less if you combine two types of artificial sweeteners, I like the combination of Erythritol and Splenda). When I combine Erythritol and splenda I only use 1/2 cup.
1/3 cup of softened coconut oil or butter
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Butter milk or water and lemon juice (acid needed for baking soda)
1 cup of frozen or fresh unsweetened raspberries
Chopped nuts (optional, but really good!)
Cinnamon (1 tsp or more if you love it)
Fresh nutmeg (if you have it)

In a bowl blend together rice bran and coconut flour, add baking soda and baking powder. Grate in your nutmeg (it's fabulous!), add your cinnamon and your DRY sweeteners. Now add in your softened butter and beat it until it becomes crumb like. Take out about 1/2 cup of the crumbs and set them aside (the crumbs are why liquid sweeteners don't work here).

Add the eggs into the dry stuff and beat it. It'll probably stick to the beaters. Add enough liquid (buttermilk, kefir, or water with lemon juice -- acid is needed to make the baking soda poof) that the stuff sticking to the beaters unsticks. You might have to remove the beaters and whack them a few times. It should be thick but not sticking so much to the beaters. Not pourable, but spreadable with a spatula.

Now take an 8x8 pan and grease it up. Drop the fruit into the bottom of the pan and spread them out. You don't need to defrost them if they're frozen.
With a spatula spread the batter on top of the fruit, don't pack it down. Just lump it in there and gently smooth it a bit.

Take the crumbs you set aside and mix them with the optional chopped nuts and sprinkle it over the top.

Bake at 350 until a knife comes out mostly clean (usually takes me 40-45 minutes).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-07, 21:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Now this I have got to try, Nancy! Looks fab. Did you by any chance get a carb count (approximate)? If not, no worries, at some point I'll be punching it in to MasterCook, after I've cobbled (har!) one up and nailed down the measures.

Thanks, girl!

#3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-26-07, 20:11

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Will definately try this! DH is dying for coffee cake....but can't have gluten either.....looks like our entire family may be celiac.....oh well...makes it easier for the kids too....if we all just have to do it.

I think I may try almond meal/flour instead of rice bran.....what do you think?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-07, 11:04
Experimenter

BF:

That should work! I like the rice bran because it has a lower calorie count than almond meal. I am going to try it with all coconut flour some time and see how it works.

I plugged the recipe into Fitday, cutting down the butter to 1/4 cup and figuring on using 1 cup of raspberries.

For the whole thing (6 GENEROUS servings) I get:

1063 calories
121g carbs
69g fiber
36g protein

One serving would be
177 calories
20 carbs
12 fiber

This is figuring one is using regular Splenda for the sweetener. Using erythritol would save you 3 carbs per serving.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 07:13

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Is there any way to reduce the carb count even more? Cake is the weakness that makes me fall off the wagon very often. I thought I might try this recipe as cupcakes, making smaller servings but I'd like to reduce it even more so I can have a couple of cupcakes rather than one, it's psychological you know?

I love raspberries but that's probably what's really contributing the carbs? Halp?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-09, 09:24
Experimenter

BF:

You could try eliminating the rice bran and using all coconut flour. Raspberries are very low carb but you could eliminate them too.

You might also want to look into bowl muffins. They're basically cake for one in a bowl. Not so awesome as coffee cake but still it might settle your itch.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 15:44

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Made a variant of this today. I used 1 c. coconut flour and 1/2 c. almond flour. I skipped the berries but tossed in 1 t. rum flavouring and 1/2 t. vanilla essence. I topped with dessicated coconut.

I think next time I'll use less butter, I had forgotten how oily coconut and almond got when cooked

The texture is...interesting... very light and airy at the bottom with a crumbly, crunchy top crust. It doesn't really work for me although it is nice, just not very satisfying for me. Still, I think it's worth repeating. Oh, I made it in cupcake tins and that gave me 12 smallish cupcakes. Tastes yummy with the rum. If only I could find something that gave a nice pineapple taste, I could make some pina colada cupcakes. I'd be a happy camper
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 19:56
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

This sounds great, I may have to try it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 14:08

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Figuring powder Splenda, one cup of buttermilk and 1/2 cup walnuts, my cookbook and MyPlan calculates:

Whole recipe:
2080 calories
163 grams of carb
69 grams fiber
ECC 95

6 servings
347 calories
27 grams of carb
11 grams fiber
ECC 16

9 servings
231 calories