Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 05:50

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%
Question decaff coffee

i'm kinda lucky in that i don't notice much of a taste difference between decaff and regular coffee. therefore, i stick with decaff and i have no problem with that (besides, reg coffee makes me way too hyper and keeps me up at night). i usually have about two mugs of decaff a day, with 3 splenda and 2 light cream in each (yes i know, i love my coffee very sweet and creamy lol.. tried the da vinci syrup but didn't like the bitter taste of it).

anyway, my question is, how healthy is decaff coffee? am i drinking too much? does it still act as a diurectic like regular coffee?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 05:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

a cup of decaf 1 roughly 1 carb. plus the carbs from the splenda and the cream. But since you are already in your weight range I would not worry to much about it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 06:06

well i am not really worried about its affect on weight. i guess i'm just kinda wondering if there's anything unhealthy about drinking so much decaff coffee? sometimes i have like 3 big mugs of decaff a day! yeah that ends being too much splenda too!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 06:13

Well some decaf is made with chemicals to take the cafienne out. Some is water decaf. I have been told the water method is best for us. I know that water decaff taste better. But who knows in these days what is healthy or not.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 06:29

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I am ok with one cup of regular coffee, but if I have more I feel spacy and shaky . I know you work ,so you like to have more. I know when I worked in an office I drank a lot of coffee, then I switched to tea. Tea for some reason doesnt have the same effect on me that coffee does.
I have been putting my cookie dough davinci in my coffee and I like it. Reminds me of caramel I am nowhere near my goal so I try not to use splenda when I dont have to.

I think I have heard some bad things about decaffeinated coffee. Just do a search on the internet.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 06:29

I found this for you on the net. I hope it helps

"In order for coffee to qualify as decaffeinated, it must have at least 97 percent of its caffeine removed. What does that chock up to? An eight-ounce cup of decaf coffee would have no more than 5 or fewer milligrams of caffeine (compared to the range of 40 - 180 mg. typically found in one eight-ounce cup of brewed, dripped, or percolated java).

Today, most processors use safe methods to remove caffeine. A few different techniques are available, and understanding them may help allay your concerns about coffee contaminants. Coffee beans are decaffeinated by softening the beans with water and using a substance to extract the caffeine. Water alone cannot be used because it strips away too much of the flavor. The goal is to extract the caffeine with minimal loss of flavor. Substances used to remove the caffeine may directly or indirectly come in contact with the beans, and so the processes are referred to as direct or indirect decaffeination.

In one process, coffee beans are soaked in water to soften them and dissolve the caffeine. The water containing the caffeine (and the flavor from the beans) is treated with a solvent, heated to remove the solvent and caffeine, and then returned to the beans. The flavors in the water are reabsorbed by the beans, which are then dried. This process is referred to as "indirect decaffeination," because the beans never touch the solvent themselves. The most widely used solvent today is ethyl acetate, a substance found in many fruits. When your coffee label states that the beans are "naturally decaffeinated," it is referring to this process, specifically using ethyl acetate. Although it doesn't sound like a natural process, it can be labeled as such because the solvent occurs in nature. Other solvents have been used, some of which have been shown to be harmful. One, methylene chloride, has been alleged to cause cancer in humans and therefore is not often used. Back in the 1970s, another solvent, trichloroethylene, was found to be carcinogenic and is no longer used.

Another indirect method soaks the beans in water to soften them and remove the caffeine, and then runs the liquid through activated charcoal or carbon filters to decaffeinate it. The flavor containing fluid is then returned to the beans to be dried. This charcoal or carbon process is often called "Swiss water process" (developed by a Swiss company).

A direct decaffeination process involves the use of carbon dioxide as a solvent. The coffee beans are soaked in compressed CO2, which removes 97 percent of the caffeine. The solvent containing the extracted caffeine evaporates when the beans return to room temperature.

Your concern over the safety of decaffeinated coffee probably stems from solvents used in the past. If your coffee is labeled naturally decaffeinated or Swiss water processed, you can be assured that no harmful chemicals are used. If you are uncertain, you can ask or call your coffee processor to learn about the method used."
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 08:19

thanks ian. didn't realize there are different ways of making decaff coffee..