Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 12:01

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 152/139/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default decaf coffee question?

i've come to realize that life without coffee of some kind is bleak. i almost switched to protein power because regular coffee is allowed. but then i decided that if giving up caffeine would help me, gosh darn it, i would give up caffeine.

so i'm planning to buy decaf coffee and light cream and have 1-2 cups a day.

but i have two questions:

will the cream make me stall?
isn't decaf bad for you?

how many of you drink decaf w/ cream on a daily basis?
how many of you use half and half?
heavy cream?
light cream?

i can't wait to start enriching my life again when i don't have my daily cup of coffee i try to reward myself with other foods...and then i get in BIG trouble!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 12:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I guess I'm not a purist when it comes to caffeine. I still have a couple of cups of "real" coffee.

As far as cream, I think heavy cream is best. It shouldn't cause trouble if you don't overdo it. Kind of like cheese, etc. it all has SOME carbs, but it all has a place! The extra fat in it keeps you satisfied a LOT longer than you'd think.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 14:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/196/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default has caffiene, too

I drink the half decaf coffee and am fine. But I started that a while ago. And I still lose weight. DH is using half and half but I thought the more fat the better with creams... Don't they have carbs listed? I know milk does and the less fat the more carbs. DH is losing with half and half and caffiene.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 15:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins (7/28/03)
Stats: 272/218/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 48%

I switched to decaf when I started, two cups each morning (with 1 tblspn heavy cream). I have since switched to half-n-half without any apparent problems (yet!). Having been a caffeine addict since my teens, I was surprised at how easy it was to give it up - and I don't miss the caffeine-withdrawal headaches I used to get in the mornings if my coffee was late!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 15:23

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

That's the reason I never allow myself to get into regular coffee. I'm afraid I might get myself addicted to it lol. I looooove coffee, but because I don't have an addiction to it, I am ok not drinking it. I drink about 2 mugs of decaff a day, with a total of 4 tbsps of heavy cream and 6 packs of splenda. Yeah I like my coffee sweet and creamy lol.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 20:31
Fully Caffeinated

6 packs of Splenda would be almost HALF my carb allotment for the day! I need those for the veggies.. which are NOT as much fun...<pout>
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-03, 20:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I switched to decaf and am enjoying it immensely! I splurge on Decaf Sumatra from Starbucks....a bit pricey but a very rich coffee flavor. Make about 1/2 pot at work each day for am sipping only.

Add some REAL cream to my coffee and I'm in heaven. I have used both half and half and table cream, the carbs are slighly different, but not by much. I understand the half and half is probably cheaper and lower in calories for those that care.

Have used this since the begininng (about 2-3 oz per day) and so far so good!

Froufie

P.S. Recently invested in a French Press coffee maker (single serving)...wow what a treat!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 06:25

Froufie, how's that French Press coffee maker different from the others?

I am trying to cut back on the Splenda actually. I think I am wasting too many carbs from consuming it
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 07:27
Registered Member

Stats: 345/310/240 Male 6'3
BF:
Progress: 33%

Wife and I like Chocked full of Nuts

Decaf with Chickory

tastes yummy

and is a little cheaper than folgers!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

I used to drink about 3/4 of a pot everymorning and after I started Atkins, I just stared drinking less and after about 4 days, I didn't make it anymore. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old so I do miss the pick me up a little.

I now have heavy cream a couple times a day i Decaf. I make 2-3 cups in the morning and save the rest for later when I want a snack. I use some splenda and I also have an Atkins vanilla syrup. I bought it several years ago at the grocery store. It's really good and made with liquid splenda, it has no carbs!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 10:59
Fully Caffeinated

I'm actually trying to fool myself now... I'm slooooowly starting to mix decaf with my regular. I did, however, almost entirely cut out the diet Cola. <pat self on back> I'm going to save it for a once-in-a-while treat, but no more than 3 a week.

My biggest problem with the coffee is the old habit of having to have a "go-with"... that little sweet snack that isn't really necessary!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 11:15

Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I have two cups of some chocolate almond decaf with the Chocolate Atkins syrup and 2 T of heavy cream. Really fills me up and helps breakfast keep me full a little longer.

Can't do without my ritual coffee. Just love that tastey warm beverage in the morning.

I was a caffeine-aholic. Diet Coke all day. Full caff coffee in the morning. No wonder I was having low blood sugar reactions in the afternoons.

I have felt much better since weening myself of caffeine.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 19:55

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

French press is a small glass coffeepot contraption, with a plunger and metal filter. You put some scoops of coffee into the pot, add hot (not boiling water), stir and let brew for about 4-5 minutes....then the fun part - you push the plunger/filter contraption down to the bottom of the jar.....like squeezing the coffee grounds and pressing out the coffee flavor.

Then pour into cup and enjoy with some cream...very yummy!

Froufie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 19:57

haha sounds like fun Froufie
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 22:02

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I switched to decaf. I have 1 cup a day during the the week. On weekends I sometimes have 2 cups. I use 1 tb whipping cream and 1 tsp of splenda or sugar twin per cup.