Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#2341   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 05:50

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Maryh,

I usually can only find Dubliner cheese at Costco - though I haven't been during this Covid crisis, I may venture in sometime soon. It is hard to imagine how difficult it is to get certain products, and Costco is a source for me when I want to get items in quantity.

You sound well - glad to hear it!!

My knees simply can't handle this weight along with the arthritis and bone spurs, I know it, I know what to do. I clearly have an eating disorder and need to deal with it much more diligently, and need to be permanently successful with that

Today is, again, Day 1
Sponsored Links
  #2342   ^
Old Mon, May-04-20, 08:50

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Awwh i hear ya Patricia.
I do too more or less. Work is a great distraction. Have to go abstinent with some things as no matter how long I've stayed away from them, no matter how 'on plan' i am...once my brain registers them, its like throwing gasoline on a fire. And its back to square one. No lessons learned..no healing...nothing.

I take back what i said above..i realised i'm actually not always below 10g Carb in my meals/snacks. Zero hard or fast rules works better some times.
Anyway i'll muddle on-wards...I'm good for...now. A bit dithered here.

Bone spurs sound tremendously painful. Think you are right to just go with the click and collect service. I'm trying to do the same here. Don't want to take any unnecessary risks...actually i declined going into the shop yesterday as there were too many people about. Avoided a lot of temptation.
With you in spirit anyway Patricia...Day 1 all the way.
  #2343   ^
Old Thu, May-07-20, 07:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
With you in spirit anyway Patricia...Day 1 all the way.

Happy to be past day 1 and working on a good finish to week 1. I have good plan in place for Mother's Day - always an introspective day here...not having been able to have children, and then the loss of my mom two years ago, and the memories of good and bad, dh is very sensitive to this day, which I very much appreciate. I try to be sensitive when it is Father's day.

It is always good to hear from you, post here or in my journal to keep me up to date with how you are doing.

I am so grateful for all the recipes I've collected, saved and created over the years that work so well for calp - they are very helpful to me as I try to solve this lose and then maintain puzzle.
  #2344   ^
Old Fri, May-15-20, 11:09

Thought I would share this recipe a friend sent me, it is cm or darned close making it a wonderful salad/veggie option for RM.

Asparagus Egg Salad (by Skinnytaste)
serves 1

1-2/3 cups trimmed, chopped asparagus
1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (*I have been able to find sugar-free Dijon)
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
pinch salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
2 slices cooked and crumbled bacon (*be sure to use sugar-free bacon)
1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and sliced.

Boil the asparagus until al dente.
Drain and run under cold water, then set aside.
Combine mustard, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, tarragon, arrange your asparagus on a plate, top with the crumbled bacon, and sliced hard boiled egg, drizzle with the mustard dressing and enjoy.
  #2345   ^
Old Sun, May-17-20, 10:56

BF:

My gosh that sounds delicious Patricia, especially the dressing.
Will definitely try it, and again what a co-incidence...egg salads have been a regular feature in my lunches these days.

I will probably need to substitute the asparagus for green beans as i cannot digest asparagus well at all.
I'm trying to be more mindful to focus on what i can actually have and enjoy instead of focusing on what i cannot have.

A busy work week ahead for me, once its over though i will have to try harder to adhere to the CAD guidelines if possible. I know trouble will loom on the horizon otherwise...
Have to meal prep now, soup, porridge bread, and a red Thai curry i can also bring to work with rice.
The soups and smoothies are now a regular feature which is helping me feel healthier. It's like a military operation at times...shopping, planning, preparing, eating the right things at the right times.

Hope the meals and week ahead is a good, healthy and happy one for us all!
  #2346   ^
Old Mon, May-18-20, 03:37

Mary, I think green beans would be a delicious substitute in that recipe
  #2347   ^
Old Mon, May-25-20, 04:53

Memorial Day menu for dh and I:

breakfast will be smoked salmon (a cm, sugar-free brand) with scrambled eggs and lemon cream (made with clean sour cream, bit of lemon zest and juice, and thyme), coffee with half and half.

snacks (in lieu of lunch) will be a cm tonnato sauce, and a dip dh asked me to make up of simply diced Kalamata olives with a clean cream cheese, raw veggies such as broccoli, cucumber, celery and cauliflower.

rm will be my cm coleslaw, asparagus egg salad, grilled burgers for him, a grilled rib steak for me, I may add a little leftover rice from a recent rm for me, small piece of blackberry buckle with vanilla unsweetened whipped cream. Coffee with half and half.
  #2348   ^
Old Mon, May-25-20, 04:56

Posting the link to the recipe for the Tonnato Sauce here in case anyone might enjoy this:

Tonnato Sauce by Michelle Tam

In less you want to read all about it, just use the "jump to recipe" button.

She lists the full nutritional stats for it.
  #2349   ^
Old Tue, Jun-09-20, 15:15

BF:

Good news: No longer over-weight. Weighted myself last week for the first time since last October and was down almost 30lbs.
So I've been managing my health issues quite well especially since last March even though i was not officially 'on plan'.

Bad news: Am still a carboholic.... ,,,,very much so given half a chance Its not over and i'm not cured.
So lots of room for improvement as always.

I have been reading about people who are pre-diabetic who are having great results from fasting for long periods of time, in terms of their blood glucose readings.
Might try it in future but for now; all i want is to hold steady and strengthen my 'health'.

Just thought I'd stop by and say the battle is still underway here.
  #2350   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-20, 03:08

So good to hear from you Maryh! Congratulations on the weight loss, I am so happy for you!!!
  #2351   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-20, 21:36

BF:

Thanks very much Patricia.

I'd say work had a big part to play in how things played out weight wise so
it will be interesting to see what happens next...Glad to be off the hamster wheel for now anyway.

Not going to keep hopping up and down on that scale though...think sometimes it's better to just go with how your feeling.

I'm going to try out that lemon cream you make with the smoked salmon. It sounds really nice.
  #2352   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-20, 09:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
Thanks very much Patricia.

I'd say work had a big part to play in how things played out weight wise so
it will be interesting to see what happens next...Glad to be off the hamster wheel for now anyway.

Not going to keep hopping up and down on that scale though...think sometimes it's better to just go with how your feeling.

I'm going to try out that lemon cream you make with the smoked salmon. It sounds really nice.

Let me know how you like it, I think the fresh thyme is a nice accent for the lemon cream, and a very nice accent to the salmon (along with the lemon).
  #2353   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-20, 09:37

BF:

Will do Patricia, Thanks again. Love anything lemon
and i heard Thyme was anti-viral too.

Was going to try to include Thyme more in the diet, the plan
was to make garlic oil bread croutons with Thyme and the herbs de province.
to add to soup.

#2354   ^
Old Wed, Jul-15-20, 04:07
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

I can't believe I'm writing this post on my 17th anniversary of starting CALP and the LC way of life. I'm posting as a way to acknowledge this anniversary, to give myself a hug for this achievement, and maybe even to provide support for others. We hear~so much on this site about losing weight and not too much about maintaining this as a way of life. It has been an AMAZING journey.I am in my sixties, and my healthy~body gives me the ability to have the kind of life I want. I feel good, have lots of stamina and energy, and the kicker is that I think I look good too.~ I feel so right and~so "normal" eating LC and that's what keeps me motivated and keeps me on plan. I actually weigh less now than I have at any time in the 17 years since starting CALP and while the number on the scale and my size is less important to me than my health, this is still amazing to me. I am so grateful to all the doctors, scientists and researchers, authors, and fellow LC followers who have made this all possible. I give the credit to low~carb and the~CALP plan by the Hellers- and Dr. Atkins and Dr. Eades and Dr. Westman and writers like Gary Taubes -~ I know it saved my health~and possibly my life.I still stay on plan everyday- I have read enough on this site to know that getting off plan is a very slippery slope that can possibly end up with me in trouble. For me trouble would be diabetes, heart disease and other chronic health issues. For me, staying OP seems easier than getting back OP if/after I've fallen off- so despite the discipline and determination needed to stay OP - I stay the course. Trust me- I have every excuse in the~book ( that little voice talks to me in my head) to~eat carbs and more carbs all day- but I can talk back to that little voice and tell myself that my~health is worth the sacrifice. Plus I can always have that carb as part of my carb meal if I want it then. That way I don't feel too deprived. Being home all the time because of Covid-19 really limits my food choices, as I'm only going food shopping every two weeks and not eating out at all. I focus on getting plenty of protein and veggies and basics (for me) like eggs and~H&H, and keep the carbs to~stuff I really like to have with my~dinner.I still eat mainly protein for both breakfast and lunch, with dinner having salad/protein/veggies/carbs. Since the Covid-19 crisis, my meals are simpler. Breakfast is typically iced coffee with H&H, then an egg with turkey bacon, or smoked salmon or avocado. Lunch is cottage cheese and nuts. I try to drink water all day, and I do treat myself to a club soda~in the afternoon.Dinner has become an activity to prepare and then a second activity to eat. I make enough for two dinners each evening and have the second meal the next day. Typically I change the carb or add a different~veggie for the leftover meal. Today dinner was a salad with homemade dressing, two small chicken and feta sausages, cucumbers and yogurt, a piece of french bread with feta cheese,~ with water to drink. I do have an alcoholic beverage a couple times a week- either a cocktail~of a glass of wine or very infrequently a beer- and that is my carb for that meal.~
I still walk everyday- usually for an hour or~ 90 minutes. I was going to a gym, but now I try to do some easy weights at home and try (not always successfully!) to do a plank a day. I am very thankful for my health and try to be grateful and not take my health for granted- I credit low carb for my continued health and general sense of wellbeing.
I don't post much anymore- I have found that Maintaining gets pretty boring.But I really wanted to celebrate my 'Planniversary' by posting. Thanks for reading this- and thanks for being part of this site and this WOL.
  #2355   ^
Old Mon, Nov-23-20, 16:45

Plan: CAD
Stats: 220/217/180 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi,
I’m just starting out with CAD. I had started before but didn’t stick with it. Hoping to stay with it thru the holidays and see how it goes. I have the original book that came out and will follow that.