Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 17:46

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 260/198/145 Female 65
BF:I do
Progress: 54%
Default endamame??

So I've seen so much hype on this lately... low(er) carb... high fiber... supposed to be really healthy...

Has anyone tried it?

1/2 cup has 8 carbs
5 gram of fiber...

so 3 net carbs?

I'm on DADR, but I had some of them today... sort of exploring a few more carbs because my weight loss has been so slow... these are yummy!

Just curious what anyone else has thought of these???

Oh, and if someone would tell me how to pronounce this veggie, I'd be forever grateful!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 17:58

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

EH dah Mah Meh

Pretty much the freshest soy beans you can get. Usually you see them as an appetizer on a Japanese menu.

They are really good for low carb and super low fat *if you care about that* They are fine for low carb. I don't know how much I like them myself, but I like everything else that is soy based though. I might give them a try at a Japanese place though, because I made them for myself once and they came from frozen so maybe that was the issue.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/127/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 87%

Edamame are delicious! They are "the Japanese peanut" in the sense that they are served, in pod & well salted, in bars! You can buy them in pod or shelled. I prefer eating them out of the pod with a good load of salt on them. You just pop them straight from the shell into your mouth.

I am pulling up different nutritional information:

Nutrition Facts Cascadian Farms Shelled Edamame
Serving Size 2/3 cup (85.0 g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 120Calories from Fat 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 5.0g8%
Saturated Fat 1.0g5%
Sodium 10mg0%
Total Carbohydrates 9.0g3%
Dietary Fiber 3.0g12%
Sugars 2.0g
Protein 10.0g

Vitamin A 2% • Vitamin C 20%
Calcium 10% • Iron 10%

* Based on a 2000 calorie diet
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 19:33

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Does anybody have a good recipe for them? I have a bag in the freezer and have no idea what to do with them? Boil them, bake them? Just put salt on them? Any other substitutes or flavoring because salt makes me puff up like a balloon.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 19:49
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Do fresh soybeans not cause the same problems, such as disrupting the thyroid gland, as other soy products do? : :
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-08, 20:44

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

It is a soybean...I don't see why the freshness should make a difference.

I avoid soy mostly for that very reason, but I do have some once in a blue moon when I go out for sashimi.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/162/145 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Recipe?
Easy Easy Easy!

* Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add edamame and continue boiling until beans are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. To prevent overcooking, start checking for doneness approximately 7 minutes after cooking. (To check, remove one carefully, dip in cold water to cool, and taste.)
* When done, run cold water over, or put in ice water, to stop cooking. Drain well; pat excess moisture off, and sprinkle with salt (preferably kosher or sea salt to taste). Start with 1/2 teaspoon.
* To eat, hold pod by stem end, and slide the individual beans out with your teeth. Discard pod.

ENJOY!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-08, 10:37

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 260/198/145 Female 65
BF:I do
Progress: 54%
Default Steamables...

I bought the frozen ones in those Steamable bags. I did what is said to do on the package... 6 minutes microwaved I think?

Then I rinsed in really cold water and sprinkled kosher salt on them. I really enjoyed them!

I'd like to find them fresh, but honestly, from what I've read about frozen veggies, they are actually 'fresher' than the fresh ones... simply because they are picked at their peak then frozen... the fresh veggies/fruits are picked 'early' and finish ripening in boxes and/or warehouses on their way to your local grocery store.

I enjoyed them last night... ate them almost like an appetizer as I made fried porkchops (in porkrinds/parmesan cheese)... and boy those were YUMMY too!