Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 19:48

Plan: my mom's
Stats: 500/180/180 Male 5ft 11
BF:
Progress:
Default 1:1 natural sugar substitute

Are you interested in a natural 1:1 sugar substitute that is zero on the glycemic index, virtually zero calories, no cooling affect, non bitter, fiber rich, caramelizes like sugar, and only $7.15 per pound? Cooking and taste just like sugar, but without tooth decay, sugar spikes, and other harmful sugar affects?

Well, I think I developed a potent formula.

Pete's Baking Sugar

Follow the plan below.

What to Buy - 24.5 pounds of 1:1 sugar replacement: 56 cups of sugar equivalent = 11 kilograms, 24.5 pounds

22g Sooolite Stevia Extract – Sooolite is a special non-bitter stevia extract - buy 1 container $13.50 + $1.50 shipping: $15 at iherb.com
8.1kg Erythritol – caramelizes just like sugar - buy 18 packages - $126 at netrition.com
900g Inulin - significantly hides cooling effect of erythritol, fiber rich - buy 4 containers - $20 at netrition.com
1.8kg Polydextrose - neutral taste, significantly hides cooling effect of erythritol, fiber rich - buy 4 containers - $9.16 at netrition.com
Netrition.com shipping = $5

What to do?
combine all the powders in big bag. this should be enough for like a year. Well at least for me. That's it. You are done. Never use chemical sweeteners again. Say bye to Splenda!!!

Total for 24.5 pounds:
$175.16
Per Pound: $7.15

Per cup of Pete's Baking Sugar
150g Erythritol Powder 75% SE
.39g NuNaturals Pure Stevia Extract Powder 25% SE
16g Inulin
32g Polydextrose

Per Serving: 4 teaspoons: (16g weight) 16g sugar equivalent
12g Sugar Alcohols
4g fiber

Articles:

"One important aspect regarding Erythritol is that it only has a negative heat of solution (cooling effect) in its crystallized state. Dissolved/glassed Erythritol has no cooling effect whatsoever. Achieving a stable glassed state with Erythritol is no mean feat, however, and requires copious amounts of crystallization inhibitors.

Both contain inulin, a crystallization inhibitor (with a similar molecular structure to polydextrose, also a crystallization inhibitor), but more importantly, the Hershey's contains polyglycitol syrup. This leads me to believe that the erythritol in the Hershey's is in either a fully or a partially glassed state, and that there is a trace amount of water in the final product. Water in chocolate, as we all know, is a very bad thing, but I think with the restricted water activity from the inulin, erythritol and polyglycitol syrup, the cocoa solids can't hydrate.

Some traditional diets contain up to 20g per day of inulin or oligofructose. Many foods naturally high in inulin or oligofructose, such as chicory, garlic, and leek, have been seen as "stimulants of good health" for centuries."

"The glycaemic index (GI) of Polydextrose was measured by Jie et al5 in 30 subjects each consuming 0, 4, 8 and 12 g Polydextrose with 50 g of glucose. The GI from ingestion of 4 g was 101. Ingestion of 8 g resulted in a GI of 95, and of 12 g a GI of 88. The authors concluded that Polydextrose is non-glycaemic. They suggested that ingestion of Polydextrose results in a reduction in glucose absorption from the intestine, possibly resulting from increased bulking and viscosity in the bowel and a subsequent delay in gastric emptying.

McMahon investigated the effects of Polydextrose on plasma insulin and glucose kinetics in 10 subjects with non insulin dependent diabetes. Standard glucose tolerance tests were administered after ingestion of 0 and 50 g of Polydextrose with either 0, 50 or 100 g of glucose. There was no effect from Polydextrose on insulin or glucose kinetics."

"Stevioside acts directly on pancreatic beta cells to secrete insulin:
actions independent of cyclic adenosine monophosphate and adenosine
triphosphate-sensitive K+-channel activity.

The natural sweetener stevioside, which is found in the plant Stevia
rebaudiana Bertoni, has been used for many years in the treatment of
diabetes among Indians in Paraguay and Brazil. However, the mechanism
for the blood glucose-lowering effect remains unknown. To elucidate the
impact of stevioside and its aglucon steviol on insulin release from
normal mouse islets and the beta-cell line INS-1 were used. Both
stevioside and steviol (1 nmol/L to 1 mmol/L) dose-dependently enhanced
insulin secretion from incubated mouse islets in the presence of 16.7
mmol/L glucose (P < .05). The insulinotropic effects of stevioside and
steviol were critically dependent on the prevailing glucose
concentration, ie, stevioside (1 mmol/L) and steviol (1 micromol/L) only
potentiated insulin secretion at or above 8.3 mmol/L glucose (P < .05).
Interestingly, the insulinotropic effects of both stevioside and steviol
were preserved in the absence of extracellular Ca2+. During perifusion
of islets, stevioside (1 mmol/L) and steviol (1 micromol/L) had a
long-lasting and apparently reversible insulinotropic effect in the
presence of 16.7 mmol/L glucose (P < .05). To determine if stevioside
and steviol act directly on beta cells, the effects on INS-1 cells were
also investigated. Stevioside and steviol both potentiated insulin
secretion from INS-1 cells (P < .05).
Neither stevioside (1 to 100
micromol/L) nor steviol (10 nmol/L to 10 micromol/L) influenced the
plasma membrane K+ adenosine triphosphate ((K+)ATP)-sensitive channel
activity, nor did they alter cyclic adenosine monophosphate (cAMP)
levels in islets. In conclusion, stevioside and steviol stimulate
insulin secretion via a direct action on beta cells. The results
indicate that the compounds may have a potential role as
antihyperglycemic agents in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus."

"Erythritol does not cause undesired gastrointestinal effects under its intended conditions of use. Based on clinical studies in which erythritol was administered with foods and beverages at daily doses up to 75-80 grams, there are no discernible issues. That means you can have multiple servings of per day and not feel an effect. Compared to the other sweeteners classified as sugar alcohols, erythritol has the highest digestive tolerance, which is 2 to 3 times better compared to xylitol, lactitol, maltitol and isomalt, and 3 to 4 times better compared to sorbitol and mannitol." It's only .2 calories per gram.

I did the research by myself and came up with the formula. Hershey's sugar free chocolate used to have a similar formula but without the stevia, since the FDA prohibits stevia for food production only because they are money hungry little bitches and get a nice billion dollar pay check from the makers of sucralose. So the chocolate ended up bombing because of the cooling effect from the erythritol. If hershey's used stevia it would be perfect. But the world is not perfect, so we can't have perfect.

Anyways. Enjoy. Remember, too much of anything is not good for you. Phsyche!! Enjoy as much as you desire!!

Here is the sweeteness profile

Per cup of Sugar Equivalent (200g)
75% Erythritol - 150g (70% as sweet as sugar)
25% Stevia - 1/4 teaspoon 39mg (300 times sweeter then sugar, that's why 1 teaspoon of pure stevia equals 1 cup of sugar)

By the way if you want to make your own chocolate bars, use the sooolite pure stevia extract. Use a pinch of it per 3 ounces of chocolate. The chocolate comes out perfect and no need for days and days of blending the liquid chocolate with the sweetening ingredients since the stevia is so tiny.

Last edited by GoodCarb1 : Fri, Mar-16-07 at 20:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 20:05

Plan: my mom's
Stats: 500/180/180 Male 5ft 11
BF:
Progress:

it actaully maybe a tad less sweet then sugar....but that's good because stevia is extremely sweet and stays on your tongue for a very long time. Just add more stevia for like 50 cents more per pound and it will be just as sweet as sugar. I don't like really sweet. It's of personal choice.

Last edited by GoodCarb1 : Fri, Mar-16-07 at 20:50.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 20:33

Plan: Almost vegan,lowGI,lowfat
Stats: 270/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

GoodCarb1, this looks awesome and just what I have been looking for, as I am diabetic, and I'm afraid of all of the Artificial Sweetners. So, it is 1:1 like sugar? Cup for cup? And have you tried making anything like a simple syrup with it?? Thanks so much for sharing this!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-08, 23:15
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Do you have to keep it in a certain way? To protect it for that year that it lasts you??

e
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-08, 00:27
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

*bump* Is that brand of Stevia really non-bitter? I've become attached to my SteviaPlus (stevia and inulin).

I might try this with Xylitol in place of PolyD...
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 08:22

Plan: Almost vegan,lowGI,lowfat
Stats: 270/236/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcstudent
*bump* Is that brand of Stevia really non-bitter? I've become attached to my SteviaPlus (stevia and inulin).

I might try this with Xylitol in place of PolyD...

lcstudent, I haven't experimented with sweeteners, just wondering about why you will try this with xylitol in place of polyd? Personal taste, or...?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-08, 19:07
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by justducky2
lcstudent, I haven't experimented with sweeteners, just wondering about why you will try this with xylitol in place of polyd? Personal taste, or...?

Hi justducky, I would use xylitol simply because PolyD is very hard on my intestines, if you know what I mean! Very uncomfortable after effects. Xylitol is also more useful as an all-purpose sweetener in smoothies, baked goods, etc. It might require adjusting the recipe though because it's sweeter than PolyD.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-12, 15:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/173/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi...is this carb free?