Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:02

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up WOW - I never realized.........

I got the new LowCarb Magazine, and in reading this issue, I had NO idea there was so much low-carb STUFF out there! I never realized there is a low-carb equivalent to just about every low-fat, low-calorie item out there. There are doritos, corn chips, chocolate up the wazoo, candies, cakes, breads, ice cream!

How can anyone lose weight eating all this stuff, and how can they afford it? $5+ for a pint of ice cream? $6.99 for low-carb ice cream Klondike bars???? I'd be broke in a month on that much indulgence, I'd rather buy my real ice cream and have a spoonfull once a week and be done with it already. Add to that the fact that there is no legislation for carb labeling, so honestly, you have no idea literally how many carbs you're getting.......

I haven't visited a low-carb store yet, maybe I'd better stay away, I'll have to give up my nice apartment and go live in my nice car to eat ice cream, cakes, candies, chocolate, etc.................haha

I've had to up my fat because I've stalled, so I started Oil of Oregano and made up cream cheese, sour cream, vanilla, heavy cream, just munch on some and leave it in the fridge. Down 1.5lbs this morning pigging out on my snack! Who'dve known?

LL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You asked the right question: how can anyone lose weight eating this stuff?

And the next question is: how can a person learn to change their eating habits when they just substitute "lower carb" junk for the high carb stuff?

The Induction List indicates that "real food" is the preferred way to go. The 'products' were supposed to be for Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance and we were to eat mostly low carb forever. Or as an occasional treat to feel we were still part of the culture. But not every day or even every week.

You may not be in a stall. You could just be in a period of adjustment. Things can be going on, even if the scales don't seem to be moving. This may be the time when you should stick to the plan and not bother trying to accelerate things.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:36

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

All the 'low carb' processed foods are questionable.

Lots of them aren't even that low carb, some of them just have half the carbs which may be good for maintenance, but not while on induction or early on in OWL.

I just stick to the whole foods. The rising cost of low carb foods is getting to be a pain though.

I usually have beef sticks for snacks. Last week, I went to the store and they'd stuck orange 'Low Carb' stickers on the beef sticks and increased the price by 40 cents.

What a load of <beep>.

I don't know what upsets me more...that or the rising gas prices. The cost of living is rising rapidly for everyone and even more for those of us on low carb diets.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 19:52

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 200.6/156.8/120 Female 5' 4"
BF:Flabby
Progress: 54%

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't lose weight eating a lot of LC foods. I had some sugar/carb cravings a few weeks ago and ended up eating Atkins muffins thinking that'll be safe. WRONG!!! I ate the whole batch in 2 sittings. LC sweets don't satisfy by sugar cravings and I end up eating even more. I am so jealous of those folks that can have just one piece of LC candy or a bite and their cravings are satisfied. I had to stop eating any of those foods because the cravings got worse. Regular junk food has the same effect on me. As for how they can afford it? I don't know. I've bought a few things from vitacost when they had 60% off Atkins products, but even with that discount, it's still on the pricey side. I paid almost $6 for a small jar of LC jam. How crazy is that??
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 20:59

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%

If they could prove gasoline was low-carb, they'd probably raise the price of that too!

LL
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 21:27

Plan: low Carb..sim to atkins
Stats: 200/155/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 82%

"Atkins friendly" BS. I don't buy that crap, and I'm kinda upset about atkins name being attached to a lot of that stuff, it's all chemical. This diet is supposed to be about non processed, natural food. I have yet to buy anything with the atkins brand on it, I think it's totally a for profit venture and is absolute crap.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 21:46

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I don't use the so called "low carb" foods either.. and what really bothers me is when hydrogenated oil is one of the ingredients... Dr. Atkins was to the point on that never being a part of our diet at any point.....I was already avoiding it even before I had read his book because I had done research on how it collects in the arteries.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-16-04, 21:55
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

I started LCing the end of January and have not tried any of the lo carb food products. Some of the posts made me scared to try and as I never have really had sweet cravings it's been easy to leave them alone.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/175.5/145 Male 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

Dr. Atkins pointed out in his book that you should shop the perimeter of the grocery store where the whole natural fresh healthy foods are generally located and avoid the center aisles where the unnatural processed foods are located. It's really that easy.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 10:27

Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I stay away from most of those foods except for the occassional bar, shake, and atkins vanilla syrup.

Anything with sugar alcohol I absolutely avoid since I have heard too many reports of stalls attributed to that.

I just saw that Snackwells is coming out with "Carbwells" ... geeze.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:32

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue

The only reason I have Atkins brand bars in the cupboard is because my husband thought he was doing me a favour and getting me a treat.

Don't need them.

Prefer whole foods.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 14:59

Stats: 221/200/121 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 21%

Yep whole food is the way to go. I fell into the trap of buying all that LC junk food about a year ago & it reversed my progress. I re-did induction & have been eating the whole foods ever since. What a difference! Don't give into those glossy ads.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue

As long as the glossy ads keep the magazine in business, that may be a good thing.

We don't, however, have to fall prey to their trap.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-17-04, 15:10

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Guess I'm a long, long way from being a purist ...

My husband and I love to have a small bowl of the Carb-Sense ice cream sometimes in the evening. And we frequently eat a piece or two (never more!) of low-carb chocolate. And low-carb tortillas are a favorite.

Breakfast each morning is a bowl of Atkins cereal with Hood's low-carb milk (and raspberries and/or blueberries and/or strawberries) -- it hasn't stalled us (my husband is at his weight, my weight gain is finally turning around again) and is a really nice treat after eggs every morning.

I've gone the "only-natural" route, and I was never happy with eating (nor was I losing weight, in fact I was slowly gaining) -- these new choices make eating a pleasure again.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 19:42
Registered Member

Stats: 285/251.8/150 Female 5'8"
BF:50+/46.5/30
Progress: 25%

The Atkins Essentials book recommends not eating more than 1-2 of these supplements per day.

I always keep the bars in my purse in case I get caught in a meeting that lasts past lunch. A half a bar is usually enough to fight off the starvin marvins.

And I love the Blue Bunny Chocolate Mint Chip ice cream - but have a portion control problem with it - My view - each container is a portion = a night in the bathroom with abd pain.