Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/140/117 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 18%

BRat, I got the file size down sufficiently but it still seems that the problem lies in the type of file it is. The message I'm getting reads: "The uploaded file is not a valid GIF, JPG or PNG file". I found a morfed picture of my DH that we e-mailed back to ourselves from EPCOT that was a JPG file and it seemed to take. I just cannot figure out how or where I can choose what type of file to save the scanned photo as. I'm hopeless!!!
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 11:54

Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

If you use "paint" for instance as your photo editor, when you choose to save it a dialog box pops up. Your choices are where to save it as well as what format. If for instance jpeg is in the box, click on the arrow at the end of the small window displaying the word jpeg and you should see several choices drop down. Pick whatever one you want and it will save your file in that format. Hope that helps.

BRat
  #168   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 12:22
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:

I have started with http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/browse...pe=SearchResult Carb Block to combat with the many Holiday meal issues coming up. I personally found that along with low carbing my first day of pills I was down 3lbs. And I have hung at 163 for months now with diet and exercise, so that was cool. Then Thanksgiving - high carb meal and dessert... gulp. Up to 165 next morning and back to 163 next day again. But TOM started and also an understanding that eating carbs usually causes water weight gain so this daily check in as a test can't possibly be fair. Working out with weights causes water retention, lots of salt cause water retention. So many ways that a daily weight test won't show honest results.

So I believe I am going to continue for a month. This will be my test month - say January 1st I will check the evil scale and my measurments to see if it was helpful overall. That will give me about 4 or 5 optional cheat meals with carb blockers and see overall if I only maintain or does it help me break lower.

Other then that LCing is my WOL so i'm not using it as a magic genie thing... just a crutch in some hard to handle situations.

Last edited by lkonzelman : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 12:27.
  #169   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 16:42

BF:

You are right on with the scale thing Lisa. I run in spurts, I'll check every day and then won't check for a week. Depends upon what I am doing with the diet and if I am trying to track the results of the blockers. I am trying to recover from Thanksgiving so only checked once this week, will try again Thursday to see if I am back where I started. Please let us know of your results, especially if you cheat.

BRat
  #170   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 07:04
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:

No problem.
  #171   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 08:58
Registered Member

BF:

BRat, I don't have "Paint", but I did try Corel Photo Shop and that one had the jpeg option as well as a neat resizing option. As with my DH's picture yesterday, I can get it as far as my profile and then it says that there was an uploading problem. I'll get through this...it just might take some time and is quite frustrating!

I stopped the Carb Blockers yesterday...figured as long as I was LC'ing, what's the point. I'll start them up again just before we leave for LasVegas (Dec. 12th).

What did you say that you take for supplements?
  #172   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:05

BF:

I have tried several brands. Currently I have Block and Bind which I used at the Thanksgiving dinner along with regular Phase 2 that I purchased mail order some time ago. Still gained a couple pounds that day.
  #173   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:

I'm sorry, my question wasn't clear...I meant what other (vitamin/mineral) supplements are you taking with this WOE. I take a multi, an extra E, C, Fish Oil, potassium, and calcium. I was wondering whether you've ever tried L-Carnitine, chromium & CoQ10.

Hey, you got the week off? Me, too!

I'm gonna work on my picture problem, now. Back with ya later!
  #174   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 12:25
Registered Member

BF:

By gum, I think I've got it!!!!

The reason that it wasn't going beyond the profile page is because I loaded it as a Profile Picture instead of an avatar

Anyway...it only took, what four days! Next I'll work on the quality. It was cropped from a 3 x 5 photo (taken at EPCOT a few weeks ago) and to get it under 20kb I had to decrease the dpi's. Now that I know what I'm doing, I'll change it when I get a better shot.

Thanks, BRat for your help!

P.S. I also set-up my PM.

Last edited by CeeTee : Wed, Dec-03-03 at 12:40.
  #175   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 06:35

BF:
Default Congratulations!

I see you made it work, that's great. Obviously that picture was not taken around here, it was 10 degrees at 6am this morning. I am off this week, trying to catch up on jobs that I normally can't do when I'm taking care of the summer chores. Going after the chimney today and hopefully mount my snow removal equipment on the tractor. I was thinking you were trying to attach a file to your post, but it's the same process except a different location for the avatar as you found out. The file size is usually the stickler, at least for my pictures due to my not selecting a smaller file when I shoot them. I posted a scanned picture to the new gallery yesterday and I had no problem due to the large file size you can use there. Glad you finally made it!

For supplement I use calcium, potassium, magnesium twice a day and take a powdered vitamin supplement from Vitamin World. It contains pretty much everything else you should have and is the most complete I have found other than the three times a day routine. It costs $13 if you purchase it at their 30% off sales once a month and lasts 30 days. I mix it with a small glass of water. As far as taking large doses of chromium and the the others you mentioned, I had muscle spasms and an increase in nervousness with extra doses of them, so I use only what is in the multi now.

BRat
  #176   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 15:13
Registered Member

BF:

The picture was from our week in Florida...one of the 80+ degree days! Just plugged into weather.com and was surprized at the 7 day forecast for Las Vegas. Its colder there than I thought it would be...50's daytime, 30's evenings! I guess its still better than the weather that we've been having.

We're celebrating an early Christmas with some friends tomorrow night, so I thought that I would just eat...not go crazy, but not LC or not avoid anything that isn't usually on a diet. I've been dieting non-stop since the day after Labor Day without cheating!...I figure that maybe my body needs a little shock. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have you used up your vacation for the year yet or are you able to take some time over the holidays? I used to try to stretch the heck out of mine (taking lots of long weekends in the summer and tacking a few extra days onto long holiday weekends. It always po'd me back when my DH would have to take 2 weeks of his vacation for "shutdown"...especially back when that was all I got.

Well, I'm gonna get back to wrapping Xmas presents. Take care.
  #177   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 15:31

BF:

Hey CT, just stepped out of shower and heard the mail come in. I was outside most of the afternoon power-washing some of my equipment, about froze to death after one hose broke and doused me.

I have some vacation left for the holidays, usually take long weekends all summer to "stretch it" like you mentioned. The only extended time I took this past summer was to tackle a large project I had here at home. Next year I will not save as much for Christmas, I will spread the winter holiday cheer to my subordinates at work. I don't believe in the current method of "screw the new guy" so I promised all holidays would be divided evenly among the group when I took over. They took advantage of the summer holidays this year along with Thanksgiving week for hunting.

Good luck with your dieting, I hope you achieve the weight loss you are looking for, you deserve it. I have fully recovered from Thanksgiving, now to see if the loss continues.

BRat
  #178   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:

BRat-Upon waking this morning I decided that this was going to be a "refeeding" day. Made waffles for breakfast and had a couple of slices of pizza for lunch and tonight at our early Christmas celebration we're having lasagna, garlic bread, salad, wine and apple pie a la mode. I decided to give the carb blockers a real test...since my carb intake was pretty low while previously taking them. I will definitely let you know what damage I did!

You sound like a pretty fair guy to your employees. Although I never had too many problems taking the vacation I wanted, I had a !~$&*! of a manager my last year or so working...that's why it wasn't so difficult a decision to leave even though I wasn't yet retirement eligible. Sure, I miss the money...but I have maintained my sanity!! Well, sort of...

Gotta get ready for my company...see ya.
  #179   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 07:43

BF:

I had one baked, stuffed shell last night along with some scallops. Took carb blocker prior as well, we shall see if it had and affect. My biggest downfall is the German Riesling I enjoy several times a week prior to meals. I was real good resisting it up until the last couple months!
  #180   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 09:29
Registered Member

BF:

Boy what a day I had yesterday!!
Saturday evening we had our celebration dinner as planned...although I wasn't very hungry after my breakfast and lunch of eating carbs. It was an unusual full feeling..hard to explain. By the time dessert was over I was in agony!! I had a very restless night and sometime early in the morning started with diahrea. I laid on the couch for part of the day unable to get anything past my lips except water...then I started with the vomiting! Once everything was gone I began feeling a little better. I had a 101 fever and felt achy. I was able to get a couple tylenol down as well as a few mouthfuls of soup. This morning I feel much better! A bit weak...but that's understandable! I was able to eat a pouched egg for breakfast. OK, so, DH thinks I had food poisoning...but nobody else got sick! It could have been that stomach virus that's going around. Of course, initially I thought that it had to do with all the carbs I had eaten along with the effects of the carb blockers, but I don't think I would have had a fever. So, the bottom line is that I'm down two pounds!! Tough way to get there...and it probably won't last...but I'm sure not going to eat like that again!
Gonna start my packing for Las Vegas...