Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/general LC
Stats: 230/216/150 Female 5foot5inches
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 18%
Default Starch Blockers

Has anyone seen the latest copy of Women's Day. There is a whole article about the new starch blockers in them, the one's with Phase2 in them. Has anyone tried them? I know the old starch blockers in the 80"s didn't work but these are supposed to work. Anyone have any info?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 16:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/general LC
Stats: 230/216/150 Female 5foot5inches
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 18%

Sorry the article is in women's world, not women's day. Well I decided to try them, maintain my usual LC, but still try the blockers. NormallyI would never try any of these products but after I read the article I checked out some of the research, and some of it was fairly solid. Also, a friend that is an endocrinologist and works with diabetics said that although far from certain, the research is promising.

I am trying the Metabolife Brand, 2tabs per meal. I have taken them for two days, two meals each day. I lost another pound, during that TOM, and I'm still in Ketosis.

I would not advocate going back to a high carb WOE, my body has made it clear that it does best with LCing but I want to know all of my options.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 17:19

Plan: Atkins-ish :D
Stats: 210/205/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have Phase2 pills.. I gave in one day and purchased them on Ebay.. I would take a few before a meal I knew I was going to cheat at... I dont remember ever experiencing any significant changes because of the pills though.. which I guess could be a good thing..??

Sorry my response wasnt that helpful.. I guess I could try taking them again next time we go out for ice cream, but then again, every time we go out for ice cream it seems like I lose a pound or two the next day.. go figure..! (its happened twice already..) Take care!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 13:45

Plan: checking out Atkins plan
Stats: 140/128/120 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I saw that article in Womens World today while I was in the check out lane at Walmart. I tried to read it but didn't have time & didn't want to buy the magazine. Please let us know if the metabolife pills help you. How expensive are they, and where did you purchase them at?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 15:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

All of the carb blockers usually only block a few types of carbs, such as starch, not sugar. Read the lable carefully too. I saw some carb blockers that actually contained 2g carbs per pill :\
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:30

BF:

I just bidded on some carb blockers on Ebay. My reason is ..we are going on an extended vacation begining the 1st of Sept. I have been doing ALOT of cooking & food prep to stay on this WOL. I have been concerned about how I will be able to eat * on the road* Hopefully if I try to be careful about carbs, and take these carb blockers I will be able to enjoy my vacation and not totally fall off the wagon.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 225/00/170 Female 5.11
BF:
Progress: 409%

I would like to hear from someone else on this too: I am tempted to use them, but am sticking at under 25 carbs a day as it is: I do take the Atkins basic 3 tho
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 18:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/120 Female 67.00
BF:24%
Progress: 40%

I have added "Carb Phaser" since I am now in pre-maintenance. I think it has helped. I have been eating baked beans and rarely eat a high carb food. I am slowing losing the last 7 lbs. But I do feel good and enjoy a wide variety of food without gaining. For me, this is a more realistic way for me to stay on this WOE. I am sure it is a YMMV issue. I am headed to New Orleans for vacation and I am drooling just thinking about the pecan pralines. I will probably eat a few on one day and use the carb phaser. I probably will wait at least a week before I weigh myself.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 11:03

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!

I bought some yesterday -- but plan to use them along with low-carb WOE. This morning, I took them with my breakfast (eggs, Atkin's bread, and strawberries) -- will not touch carbs other than a salad for the rest of the day. I'm also trying to cut back on the fats (cream and butter, particularly) ... somehow I am going to get my weight back down where it should be!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 12:37

BF:

I got some from Ebay, but haven't received them yet. I also plan on continueing on with keeping my carbs down. I will probably only use them when we are on vacation for one meal aday..( dinner ) Breakfast is easy for me to keep Low carb. Also my hubby is diabetic and he is going to try them, to see if he can cut back on his pills using them.
I will let everyone know how it goes..
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:31

Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!

Today (after yesterday taking the carb blockers for the first time) I am down 1.5# -- which is insignificant, my weight fluctuates quite a lot -- but I'm hoping that it's the start of a trend.

One "hint" -- I am terribly bloated and (painfully) gassy today -- when I was researching the blockers it said one of the side effects could be mild bloating, so I think it's probably related ... this is supposed to pass in a couple of days, so I'm hanging in ... perhaps it would have been smarter to have built up to the recommended (1000mg) dosage???

I have absolutely no intention of eating pizza or cake ... but I do mean to up my fruits (cantaloupe and berries) and some veggies (tomatoes!) if this stuff works. So far, I am still in trace ketosis (had a bowl of strawberries and 2 thin slices of Atkins bread yesterday morning, prob. about 12 g ECC -- for the rest of the day the only significant carbs were from my dinner salad) -- will continue checking that, too.

I'll keep posting my experiences -- hopefully others who are trying them will post regularly too...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:44

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

All I have to offer is hearsay--but I will, anyway I saw a woman at my health food store buying them, and being such a nosy person, I asked her about them. She is diabetic, not LC, but I figure that means she has a lot more to lose than me. She said she takes them for special occaisions, not daily use, and she monitors her blood sugar with real blood (yikes!) not the ketone test strips, and they work for up to +/- 50g carbs (for her).