Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 07:45
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

The best form of D3 that I've found is Bio-tech Pharmacal's which you can get at about half-price from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Tech-D3-5...000+iu+100+caps

It is a dry capsule that comes in 5k or 50k doses and should be taken with a fatty meal.

Often it is the oil in the d capsules that makes a person ill. Often the oils used in processing are subject to heat in storage or processing making them rancid...if they are not already rancid to begin with. That's why I like the dry capsules taken with a fatty meal.

Vitamin D is added to milk but so is vitamin A. They are added in a oil solution before homogenization.

Also it is EXTREMELY important to take magnesium when you are taking vitamin D3. You can take vitamin D3 in a larger dose weekly but you MUST take magnesium daily.

The best and most absorbable forms of magnesium are chelated magnesium and magnesium oil.

You also MUST make sure your vitamin D IS D3 and that the back of your label doesn't just list vitamin D or specify that the vitamin D is from vegetarian sources.

Vitamin D3 can ONLY be derived from animal/fish sources. If the vitamin D is vegetarian sourced it is D2 and is a much more toxic and less effective form of vitamin D.

Additionally, any vitamin A you take MUST NOT be beta carotene NOR preformed vitamin A/vitamin A palmitate.

Beta carotene is a vitamin A precursor and is only converted at a 12 to 1 ratio by the body...some people cannot convert beta carotene to vitamin A at all.

Preformed vitamin A/vitamin A palmitate is manmade vitamin A and is 10 times more toxic than natural vitamin A. Natural vitamin A is made from fish liver oil. Look for "(from fish liver oil)" on the back label.

Do NOT give beta carotene to children. Children are not able to convert beta carotene to vitamin A AT ALL. Children must have natural vitamin A for growth.

Unadulterated cod liver oil is a good source of both vitamin D3 and vitamin A. However, READ THE BACK LABEL. Many companies are now putting manmade vitamin A in their cod liver oils to maintain D/A ratios (what they say) or to cut costs (what I say).
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 13:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

I have been taking liquid vitamin D I bought from IHERB.COM or is Vitamin D3 better? I take liquid vitamins so they are quickly absorbed. Most pills do not even digest. Since reading this, now I know why I have been stuffy and feeling ill and having bathroom issues. I am taking about 5000 IU a day sometimes more.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 14:51
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayKNJ
I have been taking liquid vitamin D I bought from IHERB.COM or is Vitamin D3 better? I take liquid vitamins so they are quickly absorbed. Most pills do not even digest. Since reading this, now I know why I have been stuffy and feeling ill and having bathroom issues. I am taking about 5000 IU a day sometimes more.

Vitamin D3 is available in drops. There are good and bad products out there. IHERB usually has good products.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-14, 08:48

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default resolution?

Missy, not sure if this is still active thread or you are onsite, but did you ever get resolution to the Vit D issue? I have the EXACT same issues you do with it. I've been using mag very day for a couple months before I started trying to add in Vit D again and it didn't help me with the issues, but I wonder if I upped my magnesium if it would help more.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-14, 19:17

Plan: Vegan
Stats: 125/125/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress:

I have problems with d3. It makes me sick. I almost black out. I am not on a low carb diet. I have been searching the Internet for answers. I am getting an EEG this week. My dr thinks it could be causing seizures. I can take D2. My blood calcium and magnesium levels are normal. My D levels are low and my Dr said D3 has autoimmune benefits that D2 doesn't.

Magnesium makes me feel worse. Actually supplementing with calcium makes my brain much better. All of these minerals and D are tied together with PTH. Be careful playing with your health based on info from someone selling their latest book.

Ill be back of I figure out what is going on.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-14, 10:57

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

For years I searched this and have tried many different brands of Vitamin D, never being able to maintain it for long.

After I posted this last message, I finally found a small article that mentioned if your stomach hurts after taking Vit D then you probably need Vitamin K. So, when I started taking large doses again earlier this month, I added Vit K and have not had one single issue since.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-15, 12:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

When I was initially tested for D3, my level was 38 ng/dl and I was taking 2,000 IU a day. I worked my way up to 10,000 IU a day and my level was 85 ng/dl in the summer and dropped to 59 ng/dl in the summer. Before testing in the winter, my doctor was concerned that I may be getting too much but after the winter testing, he said I should continue with the 10,000 IU.

I do take magnesium and calcium with it. At first he told me to cut out the calcium, but later told me to start taking it again.

I feel so much better when I am on the D3.