Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2026   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 14:25

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

How come you will be having chocolate in your RM for weeks now Patricia...???
Were you inundated with chocolate gifts this year?

I know what you mean about having 3-4 carbs made up of 'little bits'.
I did this yesterday too because there was just SO much delicious things around. I had like 1/4 of a hot cross bun, a thin slice of baguette...that kind of thing at my RM. I just couldn't resist tasting these things but I won't make a habit of it.
I'm going to try to curtail my treats to just once a week really!

Well its been the first time in living memory when I didn't eat my body weight in chocolate on Easter Sunday.
I had a big ice-cream (Magnum; Almond) & 3 individual chocolate sweets as part of my RM.
I've never felt more in control in my entire life. Ever!!! I did probably over-carb but
its a vast improvement to be able to even identify the amount of
chocolate I had; whereas previously it would be a case of 'too much to mention'. It is like a whole new world now &
I'm so pleased.

I just wondered how do other people cope when they visit some people's houses and they provide things like tea and cakes & biscuits.
Or the people who kind of insist on you taking a sweet or mint from them.
You just say no thanks?
I still find those kind of situations hard really.
Sponsored Links
  #2027   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 14:53

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryh
How come you will be having chocolate in your RM for weeks now Patricia...???
Were you inundated with chocolate gifts this year?

I know what you mean about having 3-4 carbs made up of 'little bits'.
I did this yesterday too because there was just SO much delicious things around. I had like 1/4 of a hot cross bun, a thin slice of baguette...that kind of thing at my RM. I just couldn't resist tasting these things but I won't make a habit of it.
I'm going to try to curtail my treats to just once a week really!

Well its been the first time in living memory when I didn't eat my body weight in chocolate on Easter Sunday.
I had a big ice-cream (Magnum; Almond) & 3 individual chocolate sweets as part of my RM.
I've never felt more in control in my entire life. Ever!!! I did probably over-carb but
its a vast improvement to be able to even identify the amount of
chocolate I had; whereas previously it would be a case of 'too much to mention'. It is like a whole new world now &
I'm so pleased.

I just wondered how do other people cope when they visit some people's houses and they provide things like tea and cakes & biscuits.
Or the people who kind of insist on you taking a sweet or mint from them.
You just say no thanks?
I still find those kind of situations hard really.

When I'm visiting, I do just say no re the treats (or ask to take a cookie etc. home for later), and enjoy a hot cup of tea or coffee. My husband ordered some of my favorite dark chocolate with nuts for me, but due to a shipping oops, it wasn't going to arrive before Easter, so he went out and got me some...and then the box arrived the day after. Now I have tons..lol.
  #2028   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-14, 16:18
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 287.4/287.4/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello all, slinking back after a two year absence. When I left, it was because there was a LOT going on in my family.

Let me just summarize, starting with May 2012-

1. Mother-in-law was diagnosed with gall bladder/liver cancer, died in October, three days before my hubby's and my anniversary.

2. Speaking of gall bladder- I came down to visit my mother-in-law in that July, when I had to go to the ER- I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery- I had no choice in the matter, if I didn't have it out within two days, I would have died. Strange, as both my mother-in-law and I had the exact same symptoms for the same amount of time (7 months), yet neither of our doctors picked up on our gall bladder problems.

3. My youngest daughter had (and still may have) cancer. She has to have radiation treatment in July- they are worried about one of her lymph nodes and a potential small malignant tumor may be growing. The doctor is allowing her time to go to her prom and graduate before she has to have this done. Needless to say, my nerves some days are shot. Hoping the radiation will destroy any cancer cells if they are in there.

4. Oldest daughter had to have major surgery in Sept 2012 in her sinus area- 7 procedures done at once. Go figure, doesn't she fracture her nose the week before Easter and had to wear a splint and have it cracked into place, poor girl. She is the one who suffers from PCS (Post Concussion Symptoms)- her migraines have still not gone away, and it's been six years now. She still struggles with math- thankfully, she won't have to take any more math classes at college. she wants to be a teacher and will transfer to a four year college in the fall.

5. My youngest daughter had surgery to remove her thyroid which had cancer on both sides in January 2013. Incompetent doctor didn't follow up with radiation, and now we sit, biting our nails, wondering if she has it again.........

6. The morning before my youngest daughter had her cancer surgery, my son got into a bad accident- flipped the car over completely, landed right side up. Usually, my youngest daughter rode to school with him, thank God she didn't that day, or I shudder to think of how we could have lost her then. It was not my poor son's fault- the school had a two hour delay, the roads were icy. Several witnesses said that not only was he driving safely, but that he was way below the speed limit (his Principal was in front of him- said he saw him flip over, scared him half to death!). thankfully, he was ok, just shaken up, but our Expedition was totaled.

7. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and low oxygen level. I am on a CPAP machine with oxygen while I sleep. Thank goodness, I feel better.

8. It took three years to get my vitamin D level back up to normal- oy!

9. On a good note, my Grave's Disease has improved, and both the medication for that as well as my blood pressure was lowered.

My youngest daughter wanted to lose weight before her prom. She saw the Paleo article in First magazine back three weeks ago, thought it sounded good and wanted to try it. It lies- you do not lose 40 pounds in a month, lol, and there was so much cooking involved, I was hardly ever out of the kitchen!

I decided to do it with her, as I had stalled out on the high fiber diet I was on, hit a plateau, if you will. So, we did it for two weeks, lost a total of four pounds each. I told her all about the CAD/CALP diet, and I asked her if she would like to try this diet with me instead of Paloe- whenever she heard that she could have her Baked Lays Sour Cream and Onion Chips and ice cream or a Snicker's bar, she didn't hesitate changing diets one bit! She has a gluten allergy, and does well to not eat it most of the time, but she did miss some food items like all of us, such as her chips, Tostito s with salsa or hummus, ice cream, etc. Paleo was just way too restrictive for the both of us.

So, here I am, hoping THIS time I succeed for life. I was doing so well two years ago, til all the medical issues happened in our family. Just keep us all in your good thoughts or prayers list, please? I think we've had enough for one family.

Enomarb- I have missed you. How are you? I need to catch up with you all- I love this diet, but it is very hard to follow when you have to travel out of state to doctors and visit sick loved ones. We've had a few deaths amongst family and friends, too, inbetween all of the medical issues. Hence, why my diet went down the drain, literally. Good to be back, I loved it here and all the wonderful and positive folks on here!
  #2029   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 06:25
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-

welcome back Steels! OMG!!! You have had an unbelievable couple of years. Of course our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I hope BOTH daughters do well. Wow.

I have been able to stay on plan despite lots of travel and medical issues in my family- if I would go back to how I used to eat I'd be sick and I need to be at my best to deal with life! So I eat this way. I find that I can almost always get some kind of protein for breakfast and lunch and then freestyle it for dinner. Notice I put "almost" in there- there are times there is nothing else to eat but something including carbs. If I don't have any other options besides not eating at all, I might (probably will ) eat that food, call it a bad RM and do the best I can. It's funny- I will eat a hot dog without a bun off a cart in NYC anythime for lunch (veggie is kraut)- DH did that last week and complained about how bad it was! I laughed.

MaryH- I do what Pat does when I am at someone's house. I will have a beverage and just decline the food. I was at a friend's house for 'tea' a few months ago- she served tea (which I hate), scones and jam and clotted cream and fruit. I took a cup of tea which I played with. No scone or fruit. Just saud 'no thanks' and had a good time. If someone has cheese and crackers I will have some cheese. But my health and wellbeing is more important than being polite and eating something I don't want. If I REALLY want it I will ask if I may take some home for later.

Last night I had salad, leftover grass fed beef burger, onions, slaw, and a pita bread toasted with butter and peach jam. YUM.
DH went out to dinner- got home at 11 pm!

Tonight he wants sausage - but I'm having a hot dog for lunch (COSTCO!) so no sausage for dinner. Have not decided yet what I will make.

Going out for dinner the next 3 nights. Tomorrow I am supposed to bring dessert for 9 people- including 3 kids- so I am baking a cake! I used to bake lots now hardly ever. So I have to get all the ingredients! It will be fun.

Before Costco I'm going to my new exercise class. I also had my 20 year old bike fixed up- new tires, brakes, and a general tune-up. I will take a ride tomorrow with DH.

later-
E
  #2030   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 08:44

Hi Steels,

I can't imagine having so much to deal with in my family. I wish all of you the very best. and welcome back
  #2031   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-14, 08:45

Default Ah...

back to 207.7 this morning. Maybe I can see a 206 again this week!
  #2032   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 07:26

Default New one day low!!

I am so pleased! I am 205.5 this morning! I knew that 211+ on Monday wasn't "real" but didn't expect to see a 205 this week.

And yes, I'm still having chocolate candy at my RMs. It was never that which caused the upswing.
  #2033   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-14, 13:24
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

hi-
that is great, Pat. You are headed for 'onderland!"!

We are going to a friends for dinner and I was asked to bring the dessert, so I baked a cake! I never bake anymore- so I made a kid friendly chocolate chocolate chip sour cream pound cake. And ice cream. I got Rocky Road ice cream- which I don't like. I made a cupcake for me for another RM. I'm having a diet root beer soda this afternoon as a sweet treat- and I will NOT have any cake at dinner. I know it will be way over the hour, and I don't want to over carb. So the diet soda will be my treat.

I haven't bought a new bathing suit in 4-5 years, and last year with DH being so sick we never even went to a pool the whole summer. So I went shopping at Marshalls today- found ONE suit and it looks great. I could not believe I found a size 10 DD suit with an underwire bra!!!Even DH likes it. I feel like I won the lottery!

Going to have my soda while the cake cools-

Later
E
  #2034   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 09:14

Eno...I will never get into a swimsuit again, but have thoughts of maybe a tank top (albeit one with short sleeves) and shorts combo I don't intend on skin removal surgery and just have too much loose skin on my thighs and arms to ever want to wear a bathing suit!
  #2035   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-14, 09:14

Default Yes it is because I slept in but...

I am 204.0 this am!! Woot! Just to see it.

Now I'm dreaming hard of seeing that 199.
  #2036   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-14, 07:30

Default Wish every week were like this!

Another new 1 day low this morning, and I didn't sleep in! My weight is 203.4!

I think my weeding/gardening yesterday helped
  #2037   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 08:16

I lost what I had gained last week plus another 2 lbs. Last week went really well for me!

I'm very happy as I come up on the 1 year anniversary of adding calorie counting as my way to control my portion sizes with CALP.
  #2038   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 17:12
MAINTAINING ON CALP

BF:

Pat- you are amazing!!!

We are going out to dinner tonight- with a reservation at 8pm. I cannot eat that late- so I decided to have a CM type meal and then order an appetizer for my dinner. I had a big salad and a hot dog. I have not decided you about dinner appetizer. I will not have any alcohol or dessert. Sigh. DH made the plans.
Later-
E
  #2039   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-14, 20:21

Plan: Carb Addicts
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 5 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hi Steelslady & welcome back.
So sorry to hear you were going through such difficult times;
I will certainly keep you & your family in my prayers too & for God to give you all the strength you need to face all those issues.
It always helps me to know that Jesus is so close to the broken hearted, he has helped me SO much in my life!
Hope your enjoying being back on these kinds of plans.

Such fantastic results Patricia; you always inspire & motivate me too!
I love gardening & I mowed the lawn today!! Love being out in the fresh air!

Our garden has never looked so great this year with lots of spring colours & purple tinged tulips but I miss my cat so much; He was the little 'king of the jungle' feature in the garden.
He passed away last September & absolutely broke my heart; I cried for 6 months solid & still do actually if I allow myself to think of him for any length of time. He was my fur baby! I know you'll understand how it is since you have a cat also in your avatar!!

Hi Eno & thanks so much for the advice about what to do when offered things when visiting. I'll keep a lunch box with me...
I do have blood sugar issues so hopefully they'll understand my 'weirdness' or whatever!!
Hope you really enjoy your dinner out with your DH!!

Today I stepped on the scale & it told me I'm not in the over-weight category anymore! Its not an average weight so I'm not letting myself
get too excited yet but I am feeling so optimistic and hopeful
that I'm finally resolving this issue that has haunted me all my life.

Thanks so much to the lovely people here- Pat, Eno, Mayflowers, etc. who have encouraged me, answered all my questions & inspired me all the way along.
Seriously wouldn't have made it this far without you all!!

Although there seems to be no rest for the wicked as I have discovered I
have a 'silent reflux' issue.
I looked it up online & the foods I was told to avoid included literally everything I eat & love!!!
(No tea, coffee, chocolate, lemons, citrus, mints, spicy foods, onions, tomatoes, fatty foods like cheese, nuts, avocado, peppers....the list goes on)
I swear reading this list of 'to avoid' foods nearly pushed me over the edge & made me crave a 'diet coke'...Bizarrely!!

Still I'm grateful to the CAD as I was told losing weight and being sure not to eat too much at one time really helps it too.
My doctor noticed I'd 'lost weight' {cringe}....so I'm grateful he didn't take the opportunity to tell me to!!

Hope you all have a great week this week!
  #2040   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-14, 08:54

Hi Mary H..congrats on feeling better and things going well Granted I was sooooooo much heavier than where you began, but I had wicked acid reflux, all gone now..though without my feeling any issues, they did see some evidence of gerd last year.

My weight this morning is 204.6 again - I'd be happy if it was this all week, as then I'd have a nice new average next Monday

Made a nice zucchini single serve fritatta this morning, turned out nummy!

Eno - I've begun to consider a small plate or appetizer and a half salad as my rm from one fav. local restaurant. I'd never have dreamed I'd find that enough, but between portion sizes and calories and a tummy happy with far less food, it's now a serious option.

I've even...gasp...caught myself eyeing the entree salads as a "treat" option!
Closed Thread