Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 23:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.6/143.2/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Newbie

Hi I am new to PPLP diet.

I have done Atkins for 2 weeks and don't like it.

I bought the book The 30 Day Low Carb Diet Solution by the Eades. I have ordered a copy of the PPLP and anxiously awaiting it.

For my height and weight I was considered moderate.

How much of protein/carbs/fat for a female 5'2" 145.6 pounds should be intaking daily. I guess it would explain it in the PPLP, which I don't have it yet.

Also, I cannot eat yogurt or cottage cheese because of the acidiity in it. I wonder if I made my own yogurt I would not let it get to that point and make it less tangy.

Any other cheese that I can substitute in place of cottage cheese. I was thinking Mascarpone, goat cheese, quark, etc. Are these safe to eat in PPLP?

Anybody know what I can replace yogurt with?

Thanks for your time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

From the chart in PPLP:

You need 27g of protein per meal, 3 meals a day. That is equal to about 4 ounces of meat, poultry or shrimp, 4 eggs, a cup of cottage or ricotta cheese, 6 oz of tofu. With each meal you eat 7 - 10g carbs. You can eat one or more snacks containing 7 - 10 g carbs but keep your carbs (net carbs so subtract fiber) to 40g or less per day.

Eat as much fat as you want/need. You can eat more protein -- the protein levels are the minimum you eat, the carb levels are the maximum you eat.

All foods are allowed. It's up to you to choose your carbs carefully to meet your needs. Obviously you can eat quite a bit of broccoli, green beans and a salad but if you choose corn you can only eat 1/4 cup. There are lists of foods and average carb counts in the book.

Standard warnings about trans-fats -- avoid them. The same suggestion of Splenda over Equal.

You might try Greek yogurt, which seems to be less acidic.

Hope this helps get you going until your book arrives.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 09:07
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Moretta,

Welcome! Let's see if I can be of assistance.

First I need to ask what you didn't like about Atkins? I think PP has similar principles, but I am wondering if it is the fat intake or the induction level carbs or what? You are new to this whole process, right? Either way, I think PP is a great place to be for you because the flexibility and encouragement to eat RIGHT is the key. It's more about health than weight loss, though that is a byproduct of eating according to plan.

I'm very pleased to see you are awaiting the PPLP book, which is a great read. I still review mine since there is so much information and it's very motivating to be reminded of what I'm trying to accomplish. To answer your question prior to your book's arrival, your stats indicate a need for 27g protein per meal (again, that's a minimum). This comes from the chart in PPLP. There is actually a way to calculate precisely based on LBM (if I recall correctly) in PP. However sometimes it's just easier to check the chart and forge ahead with a good ballpark.

As far as foods that are "allowed" the brilliant thing about PP is that really doesn't apply. Make sure you get your protein, watch your effective carb levels (minus fiber) and that's it. Of course there is more to it in terms of tweaking things properly...removing sugar, understanding the effect grains have on the body, realizing how sugar substitutes affect us, etc. But this is truly a sliding scale kind of approach where if you put in the effort to whatever extent, you'll get back results to the same extent. It is NOT an all or nothing approach. That was so important for me. I started slowly and just made basic changes and then kept making more as a went along. Before long I was eating FAR better than I ever had and even to this day, even during my pregnancy and when I went totally off the wagon, I realized I'm eating healthier than the majority of the people I meet on the street.

So, now that you have a better sense of the flexibility, it should make sense when I say you don't need to eat yogurt or cottage cheese unless you want to eat them. But might I suggest Greek yogurt, which is strained, creamier and less acidic, and much higher in protein? Also, if I were to replace cottage cheese for whatever reason - a recipe, let's say -- I'd immediately go to ricotta.

The other cheeses you mentioned are all "safe" to eat on this plan, I would just caution use of marscapone because of the high fat content. Just be aware. Now many people here do eat high fat and are very successful. But it's just something to keep in mind. (For me personally I'm trying to keep very moderate and watch calories to see if that helps.)

I hope this helps. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-08, 12:21

BF:

Thank you so much ladies for all your information and a warm welcome to this Board.

Quote:
First I need to ask what you didn't like about Atkins? I think PP has similar principles, but I am wondering if it is the fat intake or the induction level carbs or what? You are new to this whole process, right? Either way, I think PP is a great place to be for you because the flexibility and encouragement to eat RIGHT is the key. It's more about health than weight loss, though that is a byproduct of eating according to plan.

I like Atkins and all, but I feel after investigating into PP a bit, there seems to be more flexibility with choices and no restrictions like the commencement plan of Atkins. I know with Atkins it takes a while to get yourself to the fruit rung, etc. I like to be able to have the free ability in my food choices, but of course watching all my protein, carb and fat intakes in consideration by all means.

So this is what steered me to the PPLP plan. I will be starting probably after I receive the book, but may be back for further questions so I can geer myself up for this lovely PP.

Do you follow the Eades cookbook. I know the internet has various low carb recipes all over the place especially in different forums which are really helpful.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks again.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 07:54
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

LessLiz, looks like we had virtually the same advice, though I love that you mentioned trans fats. It's such a no-brainer for me anymore that I don't even think to mention it. Good suggestion!

I was just posting to Enid how I really don't follow recipes or have menus. I just know what is good, I stock my house with good quality ingredients and then make simple meals.

And Moretta, what led me to PP in the first place was my love of protein, but then I read the books and was really inspired and finally felt like I understood "why LC" and then absolutely clicked with the flexibility...and, like you, my love of fruit. LOL But seriously, it's good to have a WOE (way of eating) that allows you to make the choices for yourself, good or bad, as you go and to have the VARIETY you need to keep at it and keep making positive changes. To me that's the key to making it a LIFEplan not just a short-term diet.

Good luck! I can't post often but I'll try to check and see how you're doing. There are a lot of great and supportive folks here to help you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 08:06
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Yeah, Liza, we both seem to be members of the keep it simple club.

Two things led me to PP -- not losing anything on Atkins for about 8 weeks and wanting variety. Discovering I was undereating protein made a big difference. But the biggest difference was definitely not feeling restricted in my food choices. It just didn't make sense to me that I wasn't supposed to eat peaches or squashes because someone *else* had a problem with them, which is what OWL rungs are all about.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 10:07

BF:

I agree with both of you to the "T".

I just feel flexibility and choice in foods and not going over the allowed amounts are the best for a life time plan.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 13:49
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Had to peek in on this thread and agree about simplicity...if it's complicated....forget it!

I've discovered in the course of only a day on this plan, I was certainly not eating much protein! And I've started an account with Fit-Day to help me get more specific measurments on this WOE. I have to admit I tried to implement it before and just got impatient with all the imputing.

I'm feeling hopeful...

Good luck to you Moretta!

Cheers!