Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Low-Carb
Stats: 245/221.8/140 Female 5' 5'
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Angry!!!

I'm so mad...I don't even know where to begin...I guess I'll just dive in...So here it goes. Every holiday my DH cooks...today's menu consists of: greens, barbequed steaks, chicken & baby back ribs . Now, I don't have a problem with that...however I do have a problem with the candied yams, mac & cheese (my absolute favorite food since childhood), hot water cornbread & potato salad (which I don't eat). Then, on top of that he has a bag full of freaking chocolate candy, skittles, starburst and cookies....I FEEL LIKE I WANT TO CRY!
The temptation is killing me so much that I'm afraid to go into the kitchen. My head is hurting because I really haven't eaten anything, just a few nibbles of meat that can off the grill. How do you deal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 15:11

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

I can't give you to many suggestions here.

But you have my support. Just stay strong through it, it is only one day.

My go to when there is a need for sustenance is coffee with HWC. Fills a whole and at least will put something in your hand that you can keep and look at least that your are partaking.

Every-time I go to the cupboard in the kitchen I am confronted with bags of candies and chocolate bars. The temptation is a nightmare, but OH won't be rearranging the cupboards on my account!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 15:31

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

not to be harsh, but you need to get over it.
He cooked a beautiful meal with PLENTY for you.
The world isn't going to all go on low carb with you- you have to learn to make it work for yourself.

hang in! it will get easier!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 16:49
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I'd tell him to stop having/cooking stuff around you can't eat -- he should respect you enough to do that.

Temptation is a horrible thing. Some days we can control it, other days -- not so much. When I get tempted, I eat "legal" foods. Hope you stuck it out...

Wishing all of us continued success on our personal LC WOE journeys!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I've lost 1/2 myself (125 lbs) in 41 weeks!!

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 17:47
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks all for your replies....I maintained though...I had greens & a small chicken breast w/a 32 oz cup of water...oh and my DH did apologize for bringing in all that candy & cookies....I guess he felt bad when I gave him the look of death! Once again thanks all for letting me vent a little
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 17:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Yeah, I think he should have adapted. There was a similar thread a few weeks ago, and I know a lot of people argued that we need to just "deal with it" but I couldn't disagree more. You should not HAVE to in your own home. That is where you should have full support - I assume he'd like you to lose weight and be healthier? Well, then, he needs to support that. Around here "carbs" still get made, but NOT my favourites. Case in point - we had prime rib tonight. My favourite thing EVER is yorkshire puddings with gravy. Hubby and Daughter cheerfully skipped those, and we made them some carbs they like. The chocolate is tempting me a little, though....I DID buy her the usual treats!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 17:50

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I used to get so angry in the beginning. Seemed like people at home and particularly people at work were putting so much temptation in my way that I began to believe they were doing it on purpose to sabotage me. I did a lot of fuming and sighing, trying to reason with them, outbursts of rage, you name it. Well, it's been a few years now, I lost my weight and kept it off, and they are still putting as much temptation in my way as ever before. The difference now is that it has become very easy to ignore it and I no longer get angry or think they are doing it on purpose. I've come around to Robin's way of thinking: the rest of the world isn't going to change their way of eating for my sake.

I fully sympathize with what you're dealing with. The temptation is terrible, I know. It helped me to channel my anger constructively: having told someone how their food effected me, if they ignored my distress I then refused to give him/her the satisfaction of ever knowing again that their carbage was still tempting me and I would have cut my hand off before I'd let them see me eat any of it. Of course, that was all paranoia in my mind, but it helped me walk away from temptation. I also made sure I had my own real food with me at all times and that I was never actually hungry or thirsty.

Each day without giving in to temptation makes the next day easier. It takes time, but you can get passed this. Actually, you HAVE to if you're going for long term success. Good luck!

Last edited by Whofan : Sun, Apr-20-14 at 17:58.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 19:26

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I hope this doesn't come out as being mean...I really want to be supportive of you. That said, we need to be responsible for ourselves. Why should your family be deprived because you lack willpower? (I do at times, too...believe me.)

It sounds like you are angry with him because he can eat these foods and you can't, but that's not his fault. Maybe in the future you could put in your requests for what you would like to have during the holidays, or make sure you have stuff in the fridge that you could grab if it turns out there is nothing for you to eat.

Really...we all need to stop blaming others. I know it's hard to do, but in the real world, temptations are going to come. Isolating ourselves does not help us in the long run. We need to learn to do this in spite of everyone around us eating poorly.

Just my humble opinion. I am sorry you had a bad day of it.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 19:55
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, I understand what you all are saying...you can have all the willpower in the world, but there are times when temptations are to hard to deal with...Especially when you are in the beginning stages of healthy eating. I am no way trying to deprive my family of the foods they enjoy, by no means what-so-ever...they can eat whatever they like...I'm just saying that TODAY was a monster of a day being that the foods that I have enjoyed in the past, triggered something. I know this will pass!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 20:36

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaGoss
The temptation is killing me so much that I'm afraid to go into the kitchen. My head is hurting because I really haven't eaten anything, just a few nibbles of meat that can off the grill. How do you deal?

One of the ways to get over cravings and not to succumb to temptation is to make sure you are not hungry, to eat plenty of the foods that you CAN eat before you are faced with the tempting ones. There is no reason to be so hungry that your head hurts. If you are eating low carb, your mission is to reduce the carbs in your diet and replace them with fat (and, maybe, protein- depending how much you were eating before). Fat is filling, fat has virtually no effect on your blood sugar, fat is tasty.

Good for you for getting through the day. For the most part, it gets easier as you go (which is not to say you won't sometimes have cravings). All the best to you.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 21:19

Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I agree with Liz53. It is so much harder to deal with temptation when you are hungry. There are ribs, steaks and chicken so make sure to eat plenty of what you can, I agree there.

But also, I think one of the important things is to try to find ways to make acceptable versions of the foods you love. I know there is a recipe on here for Faux Macaroni and Cheese using cauliflower and several kinds of cheese. It has RAVE reviews! I have done mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes, too. It's really a good substitute.

Depending on how far along you are, you could make your own yam dish. Use sugar free maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon, bake them and enjoy! It's a special occasion and Atkins says in the later phases of the diet many can enjoy an occasional potato or sweet potato. You just don't want the sugar in it.

Craving chocolate? Make those little treats with coconut oil, almond butter and cocoa that you freeze. Take out a few and indulge. Or, make yourself hot chocolate with cocoa, cream, a little water and the sweetner of your choice. I use stevia. This is incredible with English Toffee Stevia.

The thing is.. you have to plan ahead for some of these, but it's worth it to be able to indulge a little legally and still feel the satisfaction of a good meal!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 21:32

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Totally understand the frustration and everything I could say has already been said that I could add. I deal with it every day. My wife and my kids do not eat low carb and I'm the primary cook in our house. It's hard some days making sandwiches, or pasta, Mac and cheese, etc - things we can't have. Some days I'm fine, some days I'm not. Someone alluded to the thought of where are we directing the anger - is it we are mad at them for eating it or mad we can't have it? And for me I find most often I'm mad I can't have it!

Hang in there. Discuss what you need from your spouse/family and go from there. Every house is different - some can't have any temptation in it, others are fine. Find what works for you!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 21:50
Registered Member

BF:

I truly appreciate all of you I think the problem was I got up and started cooking trying to get everything ready for everyone else...all the while not making time for myself...the stress most likely got to me...but I'm over it now...tomorrow is a new day! Oh, and I ran across Kent Altena (sp?) youtube channel...he has some really awesome LC recipes that I can't wait to try.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 21:58

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Being prepared is key for this woe. I was going to make a roast today but forgot to thaw it out. Instead, for my DH and FIL, I made creamed ham with biscuits and for myself, a ham and cheese salad. Now, I loooove biscuits, but earlier in the day I made a batch of coconut bark with some cocoa nibs a friend gave me. It's mine not theirs, lol. I have my chocolate candy, they have their biscuits.
It sucks when you know other family members can happily munch away on stuff you can't have, but we can have so much good LC stuff. The FIL bought ice cream a while back, but instead of having it stare me in the face every time I open the freezer door, I tossed it in the chest freezer in the mudroom. If they want in they can go get. I'm not going to dish it up for them.
Like Jaywood, I like my coffee, and a treat for me is a tall iced w/cream.
So just try to be prepared for those times...it'll get easier. And good for you for not succumbing.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 22:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like there was plenty of great food you could eat. I always just concentrate on that and gorge so the other stuff is less important. It seems like you only focused on what you couldn't have. Always a mistake, IMHO. Focus on what you can have!