Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: Eric Westman Ketogenic
Stats: 294/220/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:plenty
Progress: 45%
Default UK NHS and Gluten Free Food

This is a gripe of mine. I haven't knowingly eaten anything with gluten in it for four years and I'm still alive! Not sure if the total cost is accurate, but it is certainly true that pizza, pasta, bread rolls, loaves etc are handed out on free NHS prescriptions. People ... this isn't medication, it isn't treating a disease, these are groceries. It absolutely infuriates me.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-past-year.html

Stella
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 15:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Ugh. I think it's similar here, though I think it's income tax deductions as a medical expense, not a 'script. Friends have assured me that I should get a diagnosis so I can "qualify" for deducting gluten-free junk food. Yeeeeeah, no thanks. Not unless all of my veggies and plain meats qualify. :P
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 18:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

It certainly seems outrageous to give people "prescriptions" for chocolate biscuits and muffins and cake!If you are going to spend that kind of money then it seems like you should spend it on giving people cooking lessons! I live a gluten-free life also and manage to get along just find without all that alternative gluten-free "junk food" except on a special occasion.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-17-15, 21:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
It certainly seems outrageous to give people "prescriptions" for chocolate biscuits and muffins and cake!If you are going to spend that kind of money then it seems like you should spend it on giving people cooking lessons! I live a gluten-free life also and manage to get along just find without all that alternative gluten-free "junk food" except on a special occasion.

That reminds me of the quote from Dr. Pennington in GCBC: he used to say to his diabetic patients, "You want me to give you insulin so you can eat Danish pastries!"
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 07:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, I'm with you on that. JERF. You don't need a prescription or tax deduction (receipts) if you JERF. (Just Eat Real Food)
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 10:34
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Heh. I looked up the info for Canadians with celiac disease who want to make the claim.

Quote:
What items are eligible?
  • Generally, the food items are limited to those produced and marketed specifically for GF diets. Such items include, but are not limited to, GF bread, bagels, muffins, and cereals.
  • Intermediate items will also be allowed where the patient suffering from celiac disease uses the items to make GF products for their exclusive use. These include, but are not limited to, rice flour and GF spices.

Hmph. I wonder if coconut flour and flax seed are eligible.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: Eric Westman Ketogenic
Stats: 294/220/130 Female 5' 6"
BF:plenty
Progress: 45%

More news from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-33970598

Interesting that one of the interviewees regards bread and spaghetti as vital.

Like I said, I'm not dead.

Stella
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-27-15, 09:52

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

Coconut flour and flax seed would probably be OK if you said it was part of a gluten free flour mix. The Government wants you to frame it as a wheat sub. Hmm maybe Almond flour too.

Anyway I did this a couple years ago(we have 3 celiacs in the house and used to buy a lot of GF products). I had to save all my grocery receipts, make a spreadsheet that compared the cost of GF/verses a comparable regular product and use the difference between the 2 as the tax exempt value. It gets rolled into other medical expenses, which is of course only usable if it is less than 3% of your total salary. In a family of three I never had a differential of more than 500 dollars which maybe got me 150 dollars back in tax. And I only got it once, when I had other big medical expenses (one year DD and HUB had a lot of mouth drama) because 3 % of my salary is more than 500 (you’d have to make below 20K).

I’ll bet not many people use this Canadian tax exemption.