Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 05:33

Plan: Low carb, suff. protein
Stats: 115/103/95 Male 191cm
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Does the Calorie-Slashing Method for Cooking Rice Really Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amergin
I'll continue to watch this space.

It's been a few months now since this story broke and I've occasionally done a web search for any sign of a published paper or anything that might add to it's credibility.
Unfortunately all I've seen are cut and paste echoes of the original vague and unsubstantiated press release.

With the exception of one actual journalist who critically examined the story and contacted the source for clarification. Clarifying that the the actual reduction in digestible carbs had been 10-12%, rather than 50%, with a guess that it might be possible to get to 50%.

http://health.usnews.com/health-new...ice-really-work.

Nevertheless the 50% figure continues to appear as fact all over the web. Including in many of the pseudo-scientific "Science" journals such as in Science Daily.

The story therefore best serves to separate those news sources who report or misreport utter nonsense, and those who still retain a shred of integrity.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 06:55

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Good thing I don't like rice. I will not be tempted to try it
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 07:15

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Okay, that makes sense. Take a rice with 1 percent resistant starch, put it through a process that multiplies the level of resistant starch by 10. Then suggest the possibility that starting with a rice that normally has 5 percent resistant starch might yield a 50 percent resistant starch content...

Science Daily really isn't a newspaper. It just puts out, unaltered, whatever some university or in this case the American Chemical Society puts out as a press release.

Even so, the truth is often buried in the copy. Should have caught this;

Quote:
By using a specific heating and cooking regimen, he says, the scientists concluded that "if the best rice variety is processed, it might reduce the calories by about 50-60 percent."

Which is as much as saying that the best rice variety hasn't been processed, and they have no idea what will happen once the actual experiment is carried out.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 10:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

It's all a matter of indifference to me. Rice is a grain. Grains lead to inflammation. I don't eat grains. Period.

It's not the carbs, it's not the gluten. It's the inflammation. THAT I can live without, thank you.

I just asked my 64 year old joints if they want me to go back to eating grains. They said, NO!. Especially my right index finger, which is misshapen from spending entirely too much time on a computer since 1989.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-15, 09:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
However this pans out, my bet's the cauliflower rice trick works better.

That's where I'm at with all this. With much lower carbs, the additional nutrients and some fiber, there are increased benefits, and I don't really notice any significant difference in taste, mouth feel. Matter of fact, I prefer riced cauliflower at this point.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Sep-16-15, 20:16

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Funny thing is that I've never much cared for rice my entire life and equated its taste as about like eating styrofoam, but lately I've been craving it.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 17:01

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

If I never eat rice or a potato again that'll be fine but if someone ever says this can work with bread, I'm in. Take a hot, fresh, crusty baguette straight from the oven. Let it cool for 12 hours in the refrigerator, then reheat back in the oven to crispy goodness, slather with Kerrygold butter and enjoy. I'll stop fantasizing now and wipe the drool from my chin. I got a bit carried away.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-07-15, 18:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The reheated pizza diet never worked for me. So I'm skeptical.