Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 22:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 157/139.2/126.8 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:no idea!
Progress: 59%
Default Shiitake mushrooms - why so high in carbs?

What is the deal with shiitake mushrooms?

According to Fitday, "normal" mushrooms (cooked, from fresh, fat added in cooking) have 8.03g of carbohydate and 3.42g of fibre per cup.

But Shiitake mushrooms (cooked, with salt) have 20.71g of carbohydrate and 3.05g of fibre per cup?

That's a huge difference! I had no idea! What's going on? Why is one mushroom so different to another?

I really blew it yesterday then, I had at least a cup of Shiitake mushrooms. I guess they will be firmly off the menu in future though.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 22:48

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

I don't know but I understand your frustration. I ate ONE bamboo shoot today in a stir fry and it was a whopping 8 carbs!

I would NEVER have guessed that. BUT....it has taught me never to assume any veggie is low carb. Going to try to check them whenever possible first!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 22:56
Registered Member

Stats: 157/139.2/126.8 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:no idea!
Progress: 59%

Thanks for the understanding! No wonder I put on 0.6 lbs this morning! But I also had some corned beef yesterday so I am hoping that some of it is water due to nitrates.

I sympathise too about the bamboo shoot incident!

Incidentally how big is 1 bamboo shoot? Because Fitday has them listed (cooked, fat added) at 10.48g of carbohydrate and 4.41g of fibre per cup?

So if you say that one bamboo shoot is 8g of carbohydrate (nett I assume) that would imply that 1 bamboo shoot is more than 1 cup?

Excuse my ignorance, never had a chance to eat bamboo shoots - well not knowingly anyway, I'm sure that in reality I eat a lot of things that I don't really know about when trying the local foods here in Singapore!

Last edited by Juliegilla : Tue, Jun-03-03 at 22:59.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-03-03, 23:07

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%

LOL, shoots are common in stir frys but are usually cut up into small pieces. Seeing them but not knowing how long an actual shoot is I decided to err on the side of caution and call it an entire bamboo shoot.

Fitday logged it as:

Bamboo shoots, cooked, fat not added in cooking (oil was added but I counted it separately).
Amount Per 1 shoot, cooked
Calories 39.84
Calories from Fat 3.98

Total Carbohydrate 7.67g (3.25 fiber though)

Live and learn.........AND check Fitday first!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 15:43
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I know this thread is about a hundred years old, but I feel I have to let gracecame (or any other reading this) know that a bamboo shoot is HUGE!! You couldn't possibly have downed a whole shoot in one sitting.

It's not like it's the size of an asparagus. If we ever see what looks like whole shoots in a can or so, it's likely to be the top shots of it. I use bamboo a lot in my stirfrying. It's really good LC-food. Taste-dense. 1 oz of pure sliced bamboo shoots has only 0.84 g carbs if no nonsense is added in the process of canning it.

#6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-11-03, 16:09

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I was gonna say , I have been making stir frys and my bamboo shoot can said it only had a few net carbs. Dont scare me like that.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-03, 14:53
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I am totally cracking up .... can you see it... a bamboo shoot the size of a huge sugar cane
Fit day says it is 10lbs... but that is the only option so you go with it... hehehehe.... gotta love fitday...
cincin... i read it like you and was like Sh!~* I eat them all the time... no wonder i am doomed... LMAO