Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 20:48
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Sorry for the intrusion...just posting so that I can subscribe to this thread. I'll tip toe out now
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 21:04

Plan: Atkins Modified?
Stats: 148/134/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid
There are recipes for cookies and apple pie in the "Eater" link of my signature file. They don't involve shite.

This is a scary thread.

I agree.... VERY SCARY....
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 08:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

No hand-wringing allowed!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 18:55
Registered Member

Plan: Natural/organic low-carb
Stats: 412/251.5/175 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Yes, baked goods aren't paleo. No question.

But, I miss baking. I really miss the smell of something fresh and sweet and spicy making my house smell good all day. And I miss having something with a bready texture to eat with a mug of tea on a cold morning.

I don't miss this stuff at all in the warm months but yesterday we got 3 inches of snow.

I thought about putting this in the regular cooking forums, but traditional 'low carb' baking makes heavy use of gluten powder, whey protein, soy flour and cream cheese. I thought some of the people here in Paleoland were probably experimenting with some of the same things I am. I saw Nancy posting about a molten chocolate cake thing...

So, the challenge is:
Basically, adhering as closely as possible to the paleo ingredient guidelines while still coming up with something recognizable as a baked good.
Gluten Free
Soy Free
Minimal dairy-limited to ghee, small amounts of butter, maybe tiny amounts of cream.
Mostly grain free
at least moderately low carb

I'm late to the party here, and I can't post any of my recipes, as they're going into a book, but I do all kinds of baking that meets your criteria and a bit beyond it.

Recently, I've begun doing some professional chefing on the weekends, and my clients have all kinds of restrictions (because I only take on clients with restrictions), and I do my best to give them back their favorite foods.

Myra
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Paleo
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 0%

I posted this recipe on another board because I couldn't stop myself from buying rhubarb last month. I've always liked Rhubarb Crisp but of course the topping would not be paleo. I modified a recipe for Warm Rhubarb Cups with Whipped Cream as a base, located here.

Rhubarb (my version)

4 rhubarb stalks (about 3.5 cups)
1/4 water
stevia (two individual packets)

Slice rhubarb into 1/2 inch pieces. Put water and rhubarb in pan. Cook on low for about 15 minutes or until desired softness is reached. At the 10 minute mark I stirred in the stevia.

It tasted good though it was on the tart side but I like tart. This makes about three servings. I believe the carb rate is a little higher than stated in the recipe.

Next time I'll try using pecans, coconut and butter as shown in this cheesecake recipe for the crisp topping.

Also, as someone else mentioned, make applesauce using sliced apples, a small amount of water and a lot of cinnamon (but no sugar).

I realize these aren't really baked goods, but they can still be satisfying on a winter day, especially if you add a little fresh whipped cream (without sweetner).
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Oct-24-07, 11:55

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 282.8/244.2/120 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bionda
Also, as someone else mentioned, make applesauce using sliced apples, a small amount of water and a lot of cinnamon (but no sugar).

A good applesauce is made from 3 apples and 6 fresh dates processed in the food processor.

Kim
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-07, 21:22

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I tried the pumpkin muffin recipe using 1/4 cup rice bran instead of gluten free bake mix.

ewww.

Definitely not the right answer. My package was sealed, but may have been rancid, or it might just be the way that smells. I ignored that and made muffins anyway, but they did not turn out well. Just as mushy as when made with 100% almond flour and the flavor was a little odd, and most importantly, it makes my mouth and lips that tingly-numb feeling which usually means bad things.

Back to the drawing board.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 06:45

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

some of the squash I dried yesterday I had sprinkled with fresh ground cinnamon and I also dried unsweetened cranberries to use as garnish on dishes ...some nuts in the crockpot with spices on them roasted and let me tell you it it is a paleo bake fest in here I think!!! I have some very nice fairly low carb very natural healthy treats and my whole house smells like I have been baking this morning!
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 10:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like you might have an allergy to rice bran! I don't recall my rice bran having an off smell. I found it at Netrition.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Oct-27-07, 19:31

Plan: urban hunter gatherer :)
Stats: 20/12/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

agar jells coconut milk dishes so beautifully you could make one in the mold of a cake and then decorate it some brilliant garnish ...light a coconut scented candle and pretend
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-07, 17:51

Plan: paleo
Stats: 150/150/150 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I'm literally drooling. Thanks to everyone who posted these
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-31-07, 06:25
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Honey Nut Muffins

3 eggs
2 tb butter, melted
2 tb coconut milk
3 tb honey (or sub sweetener)
1/4 t salt
1/4 t vanilla
1/4 cup sifted coconut flour
1/4 t baking powder
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Mix eggs, butter, coconut milk, honey, salt and vanilla.

Mix flour and baking powder and add to batter - mix til there are no lumps. Fold in nuts.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes - makes 6 muffins. I imagine you could double this and make a loaf/cake?
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 07:27

BF:

I have discovered a new near-paleo baking ingredient that works really, really well. Powdered egg whites.

My new favorite treat is a biscuit. I started with this recipe and adjusted it some to fit my criteria.

2 1/4 c almond flour
4T cold solid fat. I've been using lard, but plan to try palm oil soon.
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c powdered egg whites
1T liquid fat- I like macadamia nut oil
sweetener- I like 2 drops sweetzfree for an average batch
water

Cut the cold fat into the almond flour (well what do you know, my pastry blender is good for more than making egg salad!), then add the rest of the dry ingredients, mix. Add the 1T liquid fat, sweetener, and just a little water and start mixing, keep adding water in small amounts until you get a nice gloppy mixture that will make a good drop biscuit. Bake at 400 for 10-ish minutes.

I made some very thin ones and used them to make a really nice sandwich with uncured sliced ham.
I made some savory ones using olive oil and chicken stock instead of water and used them as a not-stuffing at Thanksgiving. They were excellent with gravy on them.
I made a sweet one using 5 drops of sweetzfree and cinnamon and used that as a 'shortcake' with berry puree and coconut milk.

I fixed my pumpkin muffin recipe by making that 1/4 cup 'other' flour into a scant 1/4 cup of powdered egg whites. Worked great.

Now I can give all my 'alternative' flours to my celiac friend, since my body doesn't like any of them.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 12:42
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Where oh where did you find powdered egg whites? Sounds fantastic!! I don't like most of the alt flours either, just bc they're usually way carby or made of stuff I don't want to eat much of (legumes, etc). Nut flours and egg flour...awesome. Bicuits...even awesomer.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-07, 13:49

BF:

I can get powdered egg whites at my Safeway, in the baking aisle near the alternative flowers and the baking soda.

My King Sooper doesn't carry them. So, I'd just check a selection of your local supermarkets. A quick google shows that some people use them for protein shakes, so a local HFS or vitamin type store might have them also.

They do give the end product a certain texture, but the DH didn't notice at all, and it doesn't bother me a bit.