Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 06:56

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Another Vegan/Vegetarian conundrum

Denise Minger hasn't been blogging so much, so I missed this one.

Not only is it fascinating, it's aligned with her book, Death by Food Pyramid, which I loved. It's explains the diet variations in all of us, depending on the enzyme patterns our ancestors developed.

Which explains so much. Including why none of us does particularly well from a highly processed food diet. And why the right diet for us must be experimented with. There is no one-size-fits-most.

Why Do Some People Do Well as Vegans and Vegetarians? (Clues From the Magical World of Genetics) explains that otherwise inexplicable dilemma. The one where I know people who happily eat in a way that would give me a slow agonizing death.

Quote:
Luckily, science is nudging closer to an understanding of why people respond differently to low- or no-animal-food diets — with a great deal of the answer rooted in genetics and gut health.

No matter how nutritionally adequate a vegan diet looks on paper, metabolic variation can determine whether someone thrives or flounders when going meat-free and beyond.

Personally, this is part of the variation I'm doing, which has given me dramatic good results. But I had to pare down my diet to only those foods which DON'T make me me sick and fat. A year and a half later, that turns out to be a very short list

Specifically: meat, seafood, eggs, high fat dairy, and botanical fruit.

Here's the four she covers in the article:

1. Vitamin A conversion
2. Gut microbiome and vitamin K2
3. Amylase and starch tolerance
4. PEMT activity and choline

Though, of course, there are many many more. My experiment with vegetarianism including cheese and eggs was a failure, leading me to conclude I simply can't get enough protein from plant sources. And now, probably other things as well.

Most people would be freaked out by my near total elimination of plant foods, but if I don't make the enzymes to get protein and vitamins from them; I don't make the enzymes. Without proper digestion, such foods are bad for me, not good for me.

I found it a fascinating read. Though I still have no patience with vegans
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 07:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Though I still have no patience with vegans

I have no problem with anyone who chooses to eat vegan as long as they keep it to themselves. What I have a problem with is the fundamentalism of so many vegans and the holier than thou attitude. I just started reading the book "Sacred Cow" by Diana Rodgers and Robb Woolf. I suspect that it will help me understand better why veganism isn't the solution (or at least the solution for most of us) and why meat isn't the problem. Their focus is on nutrition, sustainability and ethics, the 3 sacred cows of vegans.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 07:46

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

If one diet was perfect for everybody, we'd only need one diet book.

I would never go vegan myself, as there are 7 essential nutrients that vegans can't get without taking supplements.

I figure I have the teeth of an omnivore, enzymes of an omnivore, digestive tract of an omnivore and dietary needs of an omnivore, so I should be an omnivore.

But for some experts, I don't eat near enough fruit and vegetables on my keto diet. But that's what works for me.

We are all different.

The only thing I dislike about vegans are the ones that preach and tell everyone else they should be eating the way they eat.

But I'm sure there are keto people who do the same.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 08:37

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I consume almost no plant foods - mostly herbs that I flavor with.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 15:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

When I read a diet book based on blood type, it was an eye opener. First, this was no about weight loss, rather it covered foods based on ancestral genes.

With a bit more sluthing, my rare AB blood type totally reflected the two population migrations, one from the far north and the second from southern Italy, that met up in Massachusetts.

No genes are independent , rather they move generation to generation via whole chromosomes.

That some foods agree with some bodies but not others may depend partly on our heritage. ( As well as the food intolerances that develop.)