Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-10, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: 235/220/210 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by klowcarb
I read through most of the 200 or so reviews on Amazon and most were very positive. It seemed the negative reviewers were not using it properly. I think I might order it. Do you think it is better than callipers? I think I would mess those up.

An expert with calipers is still my favorite method. I've gotten excellently repeatable results with my cheap plastic calipers for two decades (right up till they melted in the Station Fire).

But two different caliper wielders will often get wildly different results. That's why I like the cheap BIA (Bio Electrical Impedance) machines like the Omron. Simple, repeatable, inaccurate by the same amount over and over. It's not the absolute amount of fat that's important to track. It's to have a good relative figure that accurately tracks your body composition. RELATIVE versus absolute accuracy is what is most helpful. Have you gained muscle? Have you lost fat? These are important things to know. Repeatable BIA is a star in this regard.

BTW, when are squats and deadlifts going into high rotation for you? You're so cool. Puhleeeez squat and deadlift. The hottest, coolest girls squat and dead lift. Go for it! You'll be super stealth hot but strong and lithe at the same time. Spidey strong. Yeah...
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

Anyone like Plyometrics? I like this: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/plyometric.html
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jan-30-10, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: ZERO CARB
Stats: 167/145/120 Female 64
BF:25
Progress: 47%

Does anyone do pilates? I heard its good for core muscles.
If you do, any DVD's you can reccomend?

Thx
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Feb-04-10, 08:46

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 150/128/128 Female 63"
BF:21%
Progress: 100%

I do believe the squats and deadlifts twice a week are having a good impact on the power of my kicks in martial arts practice. I got a nice compliment to that effect yesterday from my master. And, my butt is really sore today after doing all 3 activities yesterday!
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 15:48
Registered Member

Plan: Dirty Carnivore/C Fast
Stats: 164/136.5/125 Female 67 inches
BF:39%/30%/20%
Progress: 71%

butt soreness = butt beauty
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustr
butt soreness = butt beauty

#67   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 17:31
Registered Member

Hey what do you guys reccomend for arm toning at home? I can't afford the gym right now and my arms are huge with lots of muscle from softball already but can use toning not gaining
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 19:06

Plan: Carnivorous
Stats: 183/131/138 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I've read that the handheld bodyfat measurers are biased toward your upper body, whereas the scale-based ones are biased toward the lower, and that it is not uncommon to get a difference of up to 10%age points, which is what I have experienced myself.
  #69   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 20:38

Plan: Marnivore
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:29%
Progress: 60%

Ugh toning. Let's just forget this word. It has no meaning. The only way to get thinner, more muscular looking arms is to lose weight.

Now if you want to build upper body strength not much is better than tricep dips, pushups, and pullups if you don't have a gym. Heck even if you do have a gym.
  #70   ^
Old Fri, Feb-05-10, 21:32
Registered Member

Plan: raw facultative carnivore
Stats: 128/140/150 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalmama
...I have a question though for you guru's - my knees make a terrible and very loud crunching/crackling sound whenever I bend them. It doesn't occur when walking but when walking up stairs or bending fully at the knees. It's quite the alarming sound but I don't feel any pain. ...
In my case I used to get that a lot, mainly in my left knee and left elbow. A chiropractor said it was subluxating (dislocating) joints (for the knee it was the kneecap popping out of place, which is called patellar subluxation) due to lax/weak connective tissues and malalignment. Going Paleo improved it and going carnivore further improved it. I was just noticing today that none of my joints have cracked less in recent weeks than they have since they started doing so when I was a teenager. My left elbow doesn't even pop when lifting weights any more.

Perhaps my connective tissues have tightened/strengthened some. I remember reading a student handout in college that said that cracking joints were "normal" in college-age people. How then explain that mine greatly improved in my 40's?

Last edited by PaleoPhil : Fri, Feb-05-10 at 21:55.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-10, 14:16
Registered Member

Thanks Marnee
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-10, 20:30

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satya13
I do believe the squats and deadlifts twice a week are having a good impact on the power of my kicks in martial arts practice. I got a nice compliment to that effect yesterday from my master. And, my butt is really sore today after doing all 3 activities yesterday!

Nice!
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-10, 20:37

And I am just now getting my butt back to normalcy, thank you very much, lol! Tomorrow is leg day, hahaha!