Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Reply  Back to story:  Bacon-Flavoured Coffee

View Article Article tools
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 20:05

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

What a wonderful story, LC I am so looking forward to hearing more over some broiled meat next month. Your are truly an inspiration.

Nat
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 21:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool LC Sponge!

Thank you for sharing your story... you are maahhvelous!

Do you think you could have reached your goal this past week without an on-line support group? The reason I ask is that any time I don't have access to the internet for a week or more, I seem to struggle and sometimes even feel discouraged. Having on-line buddies who are walking, running, even trudging *LOL* the same road as me helps more than I ever thought it would. All my previous attempts to lose weight foundered due to hunger, boredom, hunger and the feeling of being alone in what I was trying to change in my life. Can you (or anyone else reading this) relate to that? Have you been there, emotionally?

That's enough pondering for now, I'm so pleased you have reached your goal.

Ruth
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 21:32

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Wonderful You!

LC Sponge,
I'm so happy that you stuck with it and reached your goal! Thank you for sharing your story, you ARE an inspiration.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-01-01, 23:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/262/175
BF:
Progress: 24%

Your story gives me hope. Thank you for sharing it with me. I think that without support we all lose (and not in a good way)

Holly
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 02:42

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Hey LC

Thanx for sharing your story.

I have been paying attention to everything you've written since I first "noticed" you on the board.

I am especially glad that you are still here even though you have reached goal. I am looking forward to hearing how you work out your maintainence plan.

Can't wait to see the before and after pic. Hee hee .
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 05:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Quote:
Do you think you could have reached your goal this past week without an on-line support group?

Ruth - probably, but the journey would have been riddled with longer moments of sheer terror.

The internet was a way for someone I hardly knew living in Melbourne, or in Glasgow to tell me that my hair falling out was totally normal - oddly enough - I was reassured.

And the other thing is, I can't eat while I'm typing.

Homegirl, K and Holly - If I can stick with anything this long, and have it still be a success, YOU can all do it.

And if you laugh as much as you can, and make an occasional difference in other people's journeys as they walk along beside you for a bit, it won't matter how long it takes

I'll take the *before* pic under serious consideration.

Nat - *over some broiled meat*- you are WAY cool.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 10:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Wink or coffee-flavoured bacon??

What an inspiration you are, thankyou so much for sharing. And I look forward to sharing your continued success as your journey continues. Maintenance isn't the end of the road, it's a brand new beginning, and new challenges I'm sure. Just remember that as much as you give here to us, we're always here to give back to you. Yer a treasure

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 18:05

thanks Doreen -I get gobs from this board - your tips for one - about where to buy all these isolates and whey things.

I went to Bulk Barn the other day and had a FIELD DAY - my first visit there if you can believe it. Got all the ingredients for your flax revolution rolls and made a batch - excellent.

They even have the higher dosage Biotin - which is SO hard to find. I take about 1000 units a day of the stuff, and swallowing 20 - 50 unit pills is NOT something I ever wanted to do.

I do have a question:

What is the difference between soy protein and whey protein?

And What is the difference between the *proteins* and the *isolates*?

This is one thing I have NOT been good at.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 18:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
And What is the difference between the *proteins* and the *isolates*?

This one I think I can help with: soy isolate is made from soyabeans that have been processed to remove the fat, carbohydrates, fiber and some of the minerals. What remains is the protein. The protein composition of soy isolate is similiar to that of full-fat soy flour but since the other constituents have been removed and the protein content is more than 90% (as opposed to 40% for soy flour). Kinda like they've isolated the proteins

To my knowledge, whey protein is a high-quality protein that is derived from milk.

LC, did I imagine it or did you post somewhere that you noticed a pattern to weekly weight loss similar to what I mentioned in the "when do you weight" thread?

Nat
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 18:26

Thanks Nat - I'm going to have to start taking notes on these things so I appreciate the information - I'm keen to try some of the recipes that call for these ingredients, up until now I have managed to use only soy flour in a few choice recipes - I'm getting more daring now.

Yes - I have a weekly pattern. My high days are Mon & Tues and by Friday I'm low again.

It's all a change in activity and menu I think - I exercise more on weekends but I also deviate from my regular boring menu and enjoy more elaborate breakfasts - pancakes, etc. Sometimes I make a small loaf of 7 grain bread. It's water retention is what it is.

If need to REALLLY regroup. I will eat on the weekends, exactly the same way I eat during the week, and it won't happen. That's what I was doing when I was focused on losing.

Now with maintenance, I figure it's just one way to maintain.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-01, 19:06

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%
Default Another question for you

LC,

You mentioned that you were 135 lbs when you met DH.

You have lost the excess weight you gained after that and are now at goal after locarbing for well over a year.

What I wanted to ask: Can you wear the same size clothes as you did when at 135 lbs? Or, I guess I am trying to ask if you think (or know for sure) your body composition has changed so that you can be a higher weight but still fit into a particular size clothes?

I have noticed that as I have come back down the scale, clothes that fit me at the same weight last time around (in between having babies) are much bigger because this time I am losing fat instead of fat and muscle.

Spill the beans (the coffee beans), lady!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 06:21

Hi Homegirl

Yes I am in the same size (size 10) now as I was before. I was about 139 when I met dh - and that's a bit of an estimate - because I never had to weigh myself regularly.... never paid all that much attention.

I like to THINK that my un-flat belly area is *new*. However, that could be just gravity taking it's toll.

A range of weight will still fit into a particular size, especially if you gain weight without gaining inches.

I also think that if you are exercising more now than on other WOE's you are building muscle tone.... and since that's heavier than fat...
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 09:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by LC Sponge
and since that's heavier than fat...

Same weight, different volume; franklly I'll settle for weighing more if I still fit into the same size.

N
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 09:28

Quote:
Same weight, different volume

you mean like feathers and lead?
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 16:21

I'm sticking this before and after pic in here too - it's in my journal as well.

This is to serve as an inspiration to everybody who visits here. All you newbies, and die-hard low carbers this WOE works (AND it's healthy!!!)
Attached Images
File Type: gif threepics.gif (70.2 KB, 216 views)
  #16   ^
Old Sun, Nov-11-01, 21:37

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default YOU GO GIRL!

LC,
You just look like an entirely different person! You're a peach to stay on the boards and continue to encourge us like this. I'm so happy for you! You've got to be feeling so great each time you see those before and after shots! WTG
Sponsored Links