Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 14:50

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

You hit the nail on the head, Meme, it IS her choice. She is human, and humans make bad choices on a daily basis.

Addiction can cloud those choices. It is what it is. Perhaps - someday - as the idea that sugar is addictive becomes more prevalent - she will see the light. Until then she will continue to do what she thinks is right.

I disagree with her choice and I know you do as well, but I respect her right to make that choice based on the information available to her.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 15:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
In her new commercial which I just saw last night, she announces she has now lost xxx (fill in the blank) amount of weight.
But, as I thought before, I wonder how much meds she has to take to control diabetes, blood pressure and also the stantons....but she loves her bread! And so- that's her choice, bread with drugs.
I just saw that same commercial where she yells i LUV MY BREAD and I thought have at 'er, big Mama. We'll keep low-carbing and compare notes later ...
  #183   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 16:40

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Oprah keeps regaining her weight because she just can't fathom that she has to make a lifetime change to eat a certain way. So, she looses, regains, looses, regains.
In her new commercial which I just saw last night, she announces she has now lost xxx (fill in the blank) amount of weight.
But, as I thought before, I wonder how much meds she has to take to control diabetes, blood pressure and also the stantons....but she loves her bread! And so- that's her choice, bread with drugs.

I left Oprah's name out of the bolded part, simply because this is how it seems that the vast majority of people view dieting. They do whatever necessary to lose the weight (including starving the weight off on some clearly unsustainable crash diet), then go back to their usual way of eating and regain it. Oprah is not the only person to do the same diet over and over, going off, regaining, and going back on the diet again. For most people who do WW, that's also the way they do WW too - they join and go to the meetings long enough to lose the weight, then go off the diet, and gain it back. Then they rejoin, to lose the weight again - over and over and over.

This holds true for LCers too. Despite the efforts of regulars on here trying to help them understand that this is a lifetime way of eating, how many people join this site, lose a significant amount of weight on LC, disappear for a number of months or years, then come back and admit that they went off the diet and regained the weight?

It's the old saying holding true - the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. In the case of dieting, that saying goes two ways - if you go on the diet that helped you lose before, you know you'll lose again - you're expecting the same results. What they aren't taking into account is that they'll get the same results as before when they go off the diet - regaining the weight. Or maybe they are taking it into account, and figure oh well when I gain X number of pounds, I can just go back on the diet again, and lose it again.

As far as Oprah is concerned, no idea what medical conditions she may be dealing with or drugs she may be taking as a result of the high carb diet - maybe none so far. She may be controlling borderline diabetes (just barely), and/or a whole host of other medical problems with WW. That may continue to work for her as long as she stays on WW, or any problems she has (or is on the verge of having) may continue to worsen despite the calorie restricted nature of WW.

Liz, you said it well:
Quote:
she will continue to do what she thinks is right.
And if she has/develops diabetes or other medical problems from continuing to eat the bread she loves, and what she feels is truly best is to take a mountain of drugs to control the problems, rather than altering her diet drastically enough to alleviate the problem, then that's what she'll do. That won't make her a bit different from the vast majority of those who have those problems - even the ones who announce to the entire party/table at the restaurant that "I shouldn't be eating this", and eat it anyway. There are so many people who are a lot more willing to take more meds, than than who are willing to change their diet in any significant way.
  #184   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 20:45

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
...Despite the efforts of regulars on here trying to help them understand that this is a lifetime way of eating, how many people join this site, lose a significant amount of weight on LC, disappear for a number of months or years, then come back and admit that they went off the diet and regained the weight?

Interesting to think about Calianna. I like to think about it in another way, how many people come here, loose a significant amount of weight, figure it out and move on. You'll never be able to count that number. The ones that come back support your observation.

An quick example of someone who is scarce I can think of is slmrickman http://forum.lowcarber.org/gallery/...catid=newimages

10 posts last year, most welcoming new comers (WTG slmrickman on that by the way!!!)

I guess we can agree that the rhetorical question you asked above has no answer. My hope is that the number that leave and regain health outnumber the ones that come back and need to try again. My hope is that Oprah and myself might become part of the the first group
  #185   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 04:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This speculation about diabetes and a celebrity prompted me to check up on Paula Deen. She was dropped by Novo not long after being hired to peddle Victoza because of a separate controversy about using racial slurs.
Put diabetes into her own website search bar...nothing. Nor any recent mention of it anywhere in the press with web search. She has apparently "moved beyond" her diabetes, as celebrities now do when don't want to discuss.
Her top ten recipes for 2016 are classic Deen, a sweet potato casserole so good it could be dessert (1 cup of both white and brown sugar), even #1 biscuits has a tsp of sugar with the flour. She may have regained a bit from the photos and no change in recipes.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-02-17 at 08:33.
  #186   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 07:45

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I too have noticed Oprah's new TV commercials. She really shouldn't use herself as a "success story." As usual, TV diet ads always feature breads, pastas and desert. As Oprah says, "I can eat anything I want." If that is true, why should I join WW? I can eat anything I want now.
  #187   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-17, 13:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
As Oprah says, "I can eat anything I want." If that is true, why should I join WW? I can eat anything I want now.
Oprah can eat what she wants as long as she has enough WW points. I caught a recent TV ad that mentioned she can save up points during the day to use on what she wants. That is a recipe for disaster for carb addicts, since it would most likely involve obsessing about points all day so that you can save them up to eat most of the day's carbs in one sitting, spiking insulin and causing more cravings so that you will be obsessing about food 24/7 for the next several days.

I can eat what I want now, too. But what I want is different (ketogenic) and the most freeing part of my grain,dairy,soy-free LCHF WOE is that I rarely think about food unless it has been >6 hrs since my last meal. And I crave nutritious foods, not junk carbs.
  #188   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 08:22

BF:

I'll have the CBS morning interview up momentarily (I have today off from work hehe) ...
  #189   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 09:09

BF:

I transcribed a little chunk that I liked. I think it applies to all, regardless of the stuff you decide to put in your mouth. Once you find out the stuff that damages you by eating it, this mindset and food you ingest moving forward can be in harmony with each other and conspire to possibly produce improving or stable heath as you move thru this life.

"...I happened to be passing by the mirror… (looks at body) I started to thank my body, my heart, that has done this (existed) for now soon will be 63 years. I started to look at myself from head to toe and appreciating what my knees had done, as shaky as the are sometimes - I can’t run as fast as I use to - but appreciating my body for what it is, and so operating from a place of being thankful and grateful for what you have then moving out into the world, becoming more conscious of what you are eating, balancing that food, which I love, we love food, balancing the with health has made me a happier person." - transcription is mine

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/2017misc/O-speaksWW.mp4

#190   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 13:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I find "Oprah, the diet and nutrition expert," reprehensible. This is a perfect example of why the issue of nutrition in today's society will not be solved any time soon. Her glib, uninformed, and inaccurate comments are dangerous. Everyone wants to hear they can eat what they want. Working out harder and keeping one's "balanced" diet while eating a bit less is idiotic. Unfortunately, many people listen to this pablum and follow this advice to rationalize a healthy WOE. Incredible, but I'm hardly surprised.
  #191   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 14:47

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
. . . Oprah says, "I can eat anything I want." If that is true, why should I join WW? I can eat anything I want now.
This struck me so funny. Good one and thanks Benay!
  #192   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 15:48

BF:

Quote:
...As Oprah says, "I can eat anything I want." If that is true, why should I join WW? I can eat anything I want now.

Because WW has a "point" system? I guess when you fill up your "points" you stop eating for the day. Maybe there's some other guide lines but I don't know much more about WW other than I pass an office each morning before I go to work. It looks kind of lonely in there.

Has anyone here actually used WW to try to correct their diet?
  #193   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-17, 22:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I did several years ago and the point system is a little ridiculous because you can't go through life only counting points. That and I began to wonder about the daily push to consume yoghurt with aspartame.
Then I also wondered how healthy it was to try to consume 25g of fiber daily when most of it was supposed to be in all carbs.
It just didn't seem like a good long term solution.

The place looks lonely because nobody is there except during the scheduled meetings when you come in to be weighed and pay your money while they try to sell you point counters, notebooks, scales and other gadgets they come up with, then there is a 30-40 minute meeting. The leaders are paid a pittance and are all x losers who have reached goal.
  #194   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 04:27

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

WW corrected weight for my wedding, but my diet was crap from then on. This was 1986, the height of rice cakes, bagels and Jane Brody at the NYT handing down advice in her column from our wise government on low fat diets. There is a special place in hell for her book, The Good Food Book, Living the HIGH-Carbohydrate Way. I blame that woman for many unhappy years of being overweight. But I still have the WW food scale, not digital so that works even if the diet doesn't.
  #195   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 06:18

BF:

Thank you Janet and Meme for the feedback. Meme, explains the vacant looking space. I never go by there except early and late.