Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-19, 07:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default Paleo wraps: recent research and a review!

This is the summer of sandwiches again. Not omelettes or salads, but an envelope of something to put my ketogenic sandwich stuff in which I normally make being off all forms of fake bread, too.

This low carb wrap is 4 net carbs and made entirely of coconut.

I love coconut. And it loves me.

And yes, we can all make sandwiches with big lettuce leaves. But when you are clumsy like me, a wrapper for that mess is more reliable. And delicious! Honest!

I am doubly pleased because there are a lot of contenders for low carb gluten free wraps, but ALL the others had something objectionable to my admittedly-at-the-strict-stage inflammation healing diet. Things like "other" grains, ancient grains, tapioca flour, rice flour, SOY in all its forms, etc.

So I went with the coconut. Which also soothes DH's concerns about fiber. This does not upset my stomach the way high fiber vegetables do. So I'm okay with that part, even though I no longer care about fiber and try to avoid it.

Check all the ingredients. Be careful out there.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-19, 11:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Interesting, I think I do OK with coconut also. In fact, when I was so sick with so much pain and weakness, I would put coconut oil in my coffee, it was like it was calling me when I was trying to figure out what was making me sick and then later I read that in fact it does have healing properties.

All of those "other" grains you mention are an issue, I have to be so careful not to consume any of them. I totally think soy is toxic. When it first came out in the 70s it was talked about by by friend who's college major was to be a dietician.
All I remember from what she told me at that time was her telling me it was a new way to feed protein to millions but she then said it was controversial because of some toxic factor which I can't remember the details of but fast forward 35 years and here we are, it's everywhere, in everything, including dog food to artificially raise the protein content.

Are you making or buying the coconut wraps?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-19, 12:14

BF:

Premade. Check out this product I found on iHerb.
NUCO, Organic Coconut Wraps, Original, 5 Wraps
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 01:27

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Premade. Check out this product I found on iHerb.
NUCO, Organic Coconut Wraps, Original, 5 Wraps
^ thanks for that post! i saw amazon has the ingredients list on the:

NUCO DUO Certified Organic, All Natural, Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegan Non-GMO, Kosher Raw Veggie NUCO Coconut Wraps. NO Salt Added Low Carb and Yeast Free 10 Count Various Quantities
by NUCO

ingredients: organic coconut meat, organic coconut water, organic extra virgin coconut oil

i hope trader joe's or whole foods has them.

#5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 01:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Nice find, thanks for the tip. I just searched and I can get these from Amazon. I might order some before my Prime membership expires next week.

If you feel like trying to make your own, and you can tolerate psyllium, I've had luck with this recipe.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 04:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Nice find, thanks for the tip. I just searched and I can get these from Amazon. I might order some before my Prime membership expires next week.

If you feel like trying to make your own, and you can tolerate psyllium, I've had luck with this recipe.

Thanks, might help someone else because I cannot handle that much fiber. And it’s the basis for so many such recipes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-29-19, 08:19

BF:

Quote:
I'm going to try that! Thank you.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-19, 06:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Thanks, might help someone else because I cannot handle that much fiber. And it’s the basis for so many such recipes.
I'm really curious now what the texture is like, and if it's good, how do they do that with only coconut?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-19, 14:46

BF:

It’s not like a real wrap because there’s no elasticity. It’s thinner and a bit tougher.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 08:59

BF:

Quote:
Got my ingredients together and made half a recipe - came out great, and they are goooood.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-19, 09:39

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im trying that one!!! Have everything.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 00:51

BF:

i used my fingers instead of a lid and they came out circular lol. used coconut oil, but want to try butter next time. i did use hot broth as we had some leftover from the Filipino restaurant where they give you free sebaw (broth) with your order. got the psyllium husk powder from amazon.

they just soaked up the olive oil while on the griddle, and came out crispy and golden brown - like pancakes!

#13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 07:05

BF:

I make pancakes with the pork rinds recipe. But it's not the right texture for a wrap.

I still can't figure out why I love roast beef sandwiches on these when I can eat roast beef sandwiches any number of ways. Maybe it's the novelty, or maybe it's the coconut.

This is fiber that makes my tummy happy.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-19, 10:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I make pancakes with the pork rinds recipe. But it's not the right texture for a wrap.

I still can't figure out why I love roast beef sandwiches on these when I can eat roast beef sandwiches any number of ways. Maybe it's the novelty, or maybe it's the coconut.

This is fiber that makes my tummy happy.

What flavor does it have?
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 02:02

BF:

Made a full recipe yesterday. Used butter, and Simple Girl dry bouillon. Had to break my TRE to taste test, so two tortillas and some scrambled eggs - verdict? Mmmmmmm good stuff. I use two bowls and put half recipes in each as it's easier for me to stir into a dough ball using just a large spoon. I made 10 just like the ^ recipe link did - 5 from each bowl. Still used my hands to make circular pancakes. I call them pancakes, you can call them tortillas lol.