Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 17:31

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 225/138/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I found this recipe online yesterday and I'm giving it a try. I made note of my changes in red. The kitchen smells really good right now!

Quote:
1 strip of turkey bacon, diced (I don't like turkey bacon, so I'm using regular instead. I figure one slice for a whole pot of soup will be ok.)

1 onion, chopped

2 carrots chopped

3 cloves of garlic, chopped

1/2 teaspoon of rosemary (Leaving this out as I don't like rosemary.)

coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1 tablespoon of tomato paste

2 15-ounce cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (Using great northern beans since I have a bag on hand. Have to cook them first)

4 cups of chicken broth (reduced sodium)

1 cup of elbow macaroni (Leaving this out, obviously)

1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

grated soy parmesan (optional) (Soy parm? Ewww...I'll use regular!)

In a stockpot, cook the bacon until browned and crisp. Add the onions and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are softened. Add the garlic and rosemary, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Season with the salt and pepper.

Stir in the tomato paste, beans, broth, and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, for about 10 minutes.

With a potato masher, mash some of the beans, still in the pot, to thicken the soup. This is a great touch.

Add the pasta and cook until al dente (about 10 minutes).

Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle parsley and optional parmesan. Makes 6 servings.

Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 17:54
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

That sounds good Renee....bean soup ...hmmmm maybe some kale wilted into too?

I'm looking to find ways to add the dark green leafy veggies into my food as they are packed with the good stuff!

Collard greens
Kale
swiss chard

I saw an episode of Alton Brown about this....Food Network will have the recipes.
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 18:03

BF:

I love collard greens with hot pepper vinegar. I have a ton of them in my freezer that mom gave me from her garden. I'm the only one who eats them though, so I don't make them that often. I may have to just pull out a pack for dinner tomorrow!
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Mar-11-08, 06:37
Registered Member

Stats: 217/192/160 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Veggie Souffle

I made this great dish on Sunday and I am eating it every day and luvvvvving it!!!

Bag of frozen spinach
Ricotta (ff or part-skim - I used part-skim)
Parmesan Sprinkles (low-fat)
Can of Muir Glen Fire-Roasted Diced Tomatoes
Garlic Powder
Eggplant (roast with EVOO until very tender)

Layer all as you would a lasagna. End with a top layer of ricotta. Use portions as you feel comfortable.

This fit in a regular lasagna pan and you can freeze portions ahead or eat as you wish. I used a lot of garlic, with touches of salt and pepper.

(I would think you can add any protein you like to it, as well - get creative!)

This is sooooo yummy! Happy cooking!

Lisa
  #95   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-08, 17:08
Attitude is a Choice

Mashed turnips and parsnips

Oh my...what a lovely dish!! I've been making a root veggie mashe for Honey since this past October and it never occured to me to make the mash with turnip/parsnip for me!

I had looked them up to see how high the carbs were and its actually kinda on the lowish side. I still treat this as a starchy veggie.

turnips cooked 1 cup= 6 carbs -2 grams fiber
parsnips cooked 1 cup= 30 carbs -6grams fiber

I peeled and cut up about 1 lb of each and boiled it in salted water until tender. Then I mashed it with a potato masher and pureed it with my hand blender w/ 1 tbs Smart Balance.

Thats going to be dinner with a steak.
  #96   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 10:59
Registered Member

Stats: 238/238/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm making a big pot of lean beef chili tonight
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 14:01

Stats: 240/197.5/160 Female 66 inches
BF:

I am making grilled chicken breasts with cayenne and an avocado salsa with lime juice and red onion. Also having some snap peas with garlic on the side. Can't wait!
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Mar-19-08, 17:16

Plan: controled low carb
Stats: 250.4/222/165 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:

crockpot chicken paprika w/zuchini onion mushroom
and browned califlower with spinach
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 19:52

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Spring is on the way its time to start watching for fresh veggies. I just love eating in season foods. Our first to hit the farmers market is Asparagus. Some of our larger grocery stores have been having asparagus on sale.
But I'm so looking forward to getting at our farmers market its soooo fresh.

I love asparagus broiled with just a little sprinkle of evoo, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.

I use left over asparagus in omletts for breaky.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-08, 07:55
Attitude is a Choice

I've had a few yummy things that I made this past weekend.

Chili with ground pork and veal. I also like to use the black soy beans that I am able to find at my local health food store. My chili is spicy!!

I marinated wild caught shrimp and then sauteed them. They came out fabulous!! I ate them in salads over the weekend.

Last night I had arctic charr filet poached in fajita veggies. OMG...this is soooo good!! I saved some of the veggies to put inside an omelet.
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 06:44
Registered Member

Stats: 238/238/165 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

That taco skillet looks SO good! I think I will make it this weekend I made some baked buffalo chicken last night. yum
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-08, 07:47
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris29
That taco skillet looks SO good! I think I will make it this weekend I made some baked buffalo chicken last night. yum

Its amazing!! Thanks for reminding me about it!!
  #103   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-08, 10:46
Registered Member

Stats: 217/192/160 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default White Chicken Chili

Made this last weekend AND just posted on SB Recipe Thread:

White Chicken Chili

Adjust the heat in this dish by adding the minced ribs and seeds from the jalapeņo as directed in step 6. If Anaheim chiles cannot be found, add an additional poblano and jalapeņo to the chili. This dish can also be successfully made by substituting chicken thighs for the chicken breasts. If using thighs, increase the cooking time in step 4 to about 40 minutes. Serve chili with sour cream, tortilla chips (NOT for SBD!!!!!), and lime wedges.

Serves 6 to 8
3 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves , trimmed of excess fat and skin
Table salt and ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 medium jalapeņo chiles
3 poblano chiles (medium), stemmed, seeded, and cut into large pieces
3 Anaheim chile peppers (medium), stemmed, seeded, and cut into large pieces
2 medium onions , cut into large pieces (2 cups)
6 medium cloves garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 tablespoons)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
2 (14.5-ounce) cans cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes)
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
4 scallions , white and light green parts sliced thin

1. Season chicken liberally with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add chicken, skin side down, and cook without moving until skin is golden brown, about 4 minutes. Using tongs, turn chicken and lightly brown on other side, about 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate; remove and discard skin.

2. While chicken is browning, remove and discard ribs and seeds from 2 jalapeņos; mince flesh. In food processor, process half of poblano chiles, Anaheim chiles, and onions until consistency of chunky salsa, ten to twelve 1-second pulses, scraping down sides of workbowl halfway through. Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Repeat with remaining poblano chiles, Anaheim chiles, and onions; combine with first batch (do not wash food processor blade or workbowl).

3. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat from Dutch oven (adding additional vegetable oil if necessary) and reduce heat to medium. Add minced jalapeņos, chile-onion mixture, garlic, cumin, coriander, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat.

4. Transfer 1 cup cooked vegetable mixture to now-empty food processor workbowl. Add 1 cup beans and 1 cup broth and process until smooth, about 20 seconds. Add vegetable-bean mixture, remaining 2 cups broth, and chicken breasts to Dutch oven and bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until chicken registers 160 degrees (175 degrees if using thighs) on instant-read thermometer, 15 to 20 minutes (40 minutes if using thighs).

5. Using tongs, transfer chicken to large plate. Stir in remaining beans and continue to simmer, uncovered, until beans are heated through and chili has thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.

6. Mince remaining jalapeņo, reserving and mincing ribs and seeds (see note above), and set aside. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken into bite-sized pieces, discarding bones. Stir shredded chicken, lime juice, cilantro, scallions, and remaining minced jalapeņo (with seeds if desired) into chili and return to simmer. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve.

Per Serving:
Cal 370; Fat 6 g; Sat fat 1 g; Chol 115 mg; Carb 25 g; Protein 52 g; Fiber 7 g; Sodium 710 mg
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 12:36

BF:

I made my own flax crackers today. Not too bad. A little less crisp than I'd like, but I was afraid of burning the edges, so didn't cook them quite as long as it said to. I'm going to have a few of them tonight w/ some babaganoush.

I didn't have any parchment paper so I just sprayed my baking sheet with Pam and spread the mixture out using a small rolling pin directly on the pan.

Quote:
Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup flax seed meal
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup water
Preparation:

Heat oven to 400 F.

1) Mix all ingredients together.

2) Spoon onto sheet pan which is covered with greased parchment paper.

3) Cover the mixture with a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Even out the mixture to about 1/8 inch. I find a straight edge, like a ruler, works well, though you can use a rolling pin or wine bottle too. The important thing is not to let it be too thin around the edges or that part will overcook before the center firms up. So after you spread it out, go around the edges with your finger and push the thin part inwards to even it up.

4) Bake until the center is no longer soft, about 15-18 minutes. If it starts to get more than a little brown around the edges, remove from oven. Let cool completely - it will continue to crisp up.

5) Break into pieces.