Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 14:25

Plan: verylowcarb
Stats: 223/205/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Hi from Southern California!

Hi everyone,

Female, 49 years old, starting a very low carbs diet. I'm 5'8" and 1/2 and I hope to get to 150 lbs eventually. I was 207 lbs a few months ago.

I started recently with a modified Paleo Diet (with fruits rarely). Doing OK on it. I also incorporated working out 3-4 times/week. I Usually do cardio, Qi-Gong, Yoga or Pilates and then twice a week I lift weights. At home. I also like to walk or hike outside once/twice during the weekend.

Have a lovely transformation everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 14:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Welcome This is a wonderful place to learn and make friends on your journey of a new WOE. Lots of great information among the threads and posts.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 15:46

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Welcome, Meli!

You'll love it here.

The people are the best, and there is info on every aspect of LC living.

WELCOME!
Julie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 18:26

BF:

Thanks everyone, nice to be here!

Last edited by Melilotus : Sun, Jan-20-19 at 10:00.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-20-19, 19:26

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Welcome! This is a great place to be!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-19, 15:01

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:

Welcome, stay true to the WOE and don't let anything stop you from getting healthy. This is overall the best site to be on. very good help here.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-19, 18:26

BF:

The last few days have been great, I had a good diet, less carbs, clean eating. Less calories too. I also worked out every other day. I'm very happy about it. The only thing is that I gained 2-3 pounds! So...I'm not going to use the stupid scale anymore, at least not for a month or so. I'll take my measurements once or twice a month and that's it!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-19, 21:41

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilotus
The last few days have been great, I had a good diet, less carbs, clean eating. Less calories too. I also worked out every other day. I'm very happy about it. The only thing is that I gained 2-3 pounds! So...I'm not going to use the stupid scale anymore, at least not for a month or so. I'll take my measurements once or twice a month and that's it!

Working out can really lead to gain. I have a terrible time with that.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 09:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melilotus

I find that NSV is what is important too. How you’re cloths fit. I do both and weigh each day. It is a barometer for me. I reached my goal a few days back but now heading up. It’s ok. My body needs to find its way on this woe just like I’m doing.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 13:39

BF:

Yes, I lost one centimeter from my waist in the last week or so. Not bad!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 12:57

BF:

I didn't lose any more weight but maintained. Actually I went up and down but now I'm 205 again. I started to eat very little, something like 900 -1100 cal/day but could not sustain this too long. I got hungry and frustrated. So now I eat more and try to eat less only twice a week. Something like 5:2 diet but also low-carbs.

I was able to keep my workout routine so I'm happy about that. That cm. from my waist is still gone, didn't come back.

I'll continue with this WOE and hopefully I'll lose weight. I have to admit that I do have some hormonal problems and it's very hard for me to lose weight this time. But I'm optimistic, I'm doing all I can.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 15:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If you would like the members on this forum to comment on your diet, maybe you can share exactly what you are eating. You note your plan as Paleo, but then it is "modified". You did not read any Paleo books, so we don't even know what version of "paleo" you are doing. Answers about exactly how many carbs you eat, do you include nuts, alcohol, sweet potatoes, rice, etc. could help us give suggestions if wanted. Are you on any medications? Hormonal ones can hinder weight loss. Maybe check a Keto diet and see how your plan compares? All the best,
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 18:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
If you would like the members on this forum to comment on your diet, maybe you can share exactly what you are eating. You note your plan as Paleo, but then it is "modified". You did not read any Paleo books, so we don't even know what version of "paleo" you are doing. Answers about exactly how many carbs you eat, do you include nuts, alcohol, sweet potatoes, rice, etc. could help us give suggestions if wanted. Are you on any medications? Hormonal ones can hinder weight loss. Maybe check a Keto diet and see how your plan compares? All the best,

Hi and thanks for your comment.

I don't count my carbs. I just try not to eat too many. I eat nuts only once a week and maybe 100 cal a serving (very little), no alcohol (never), sweet potatoes once a month (backed), rice 1/2 portion once a week (brown rice) and fruit only one serving a day (usually: apples, berries, pears and peaces).

I think my diet is OK but the problem is that I'm on a certain medication (for sleep) that has weight gain as side effect. It's hard to lose weight being on this particular medication but not impossible. I did it in the past, a few years ago. I followed the same Paleo Diet (got the information from Mark's Daily Apple) and lost about 18 pounds in 3.5 months.

Now I try to follow the same diet and hopefully I'll be able to see some changes.

I can not follow a Keto Diet, I tried but I could not do it, too much meat and fat. I got sick of it after a few days.

I also eat only chicken, fish and turkey, no red meat. Dairy products rarely (once a month some hard cheese). And no sugar or processed food. I would have some dates (no sugar added) sometimes or raisins (no sugar added) or black chocolate but only a little and only a few times a month.

I might need to increase my fat intake. I'll buy more avocados. And I really need to drink more water but it's difficult to do it, have to make a greater effort.

Thank you again. Sure, if you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment.

(English is not my first language).
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 04:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Your English is perfect, I would never have guessed it is not your first language.
And your diet is quite perfect too. That is really quite low carb for a Paleo plan, some can over do the starches or nuts and you are not. So other than the medication...maybe talk to your doctor about an alternative? And being in peri-menopause, I am stumped for any suggestions to help weight loss, but DietDoctor had some to consider:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/top-tips...w-carb-women-40

Hope other members have suggestions for you.

Keto does not have to be meat heavy...you can even find Vegetarian plans easily. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/vegetarian If you don’t like the taste of meat fats, avocado, olive, etc oils are great. If you have weight to lose, your intake of dietary fat should just be enough to satisfy. Also check some of Maria Emmerich's cookbooks, our library has many of her Keto books with little dairy and meat.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-02-19 at 04:48.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-19, 08:48

BF:

Thank you for the information, you've been very helpful.