Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 09:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297.5/272.5/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default What multi-vitamin do YOU take?

Hello all,

I was going to take Centrum, but it has Iron in it (don't know why we can't have Iron...but that's what it said in DANDR).

I'm thinking about taking One A Day for Men...it is definitely not as complete as Centrum, but it doesn't include Iron.

What multi-vitamin do you take? Any suggestions on what I should take? Why can't we have Iron?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 10:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

Woah I didnt know we couldnt have iron!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:01
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm sure an expert will be along shortly to tell you why an excess of iron is a bad thing, but in the meantime I can tell you that Dr. Atkins said we're getting enough iron from all the protein we're eating. You don't need the iron in most multi-vitamins, although I'm not sure if it's actually harmful or not.

I take One-A-Day for people over 50 (I'm 23!) It contains no iron.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:06

Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

I take women One a day w/Iron...always have and probably will on my next purchase (I was boarderline anemic and told I needed more Iron) But that was before Atkins.

Curious to know if this is a very bad thing or not..have about 20 days left of pills and I will finish this bottle, but would love to here from anyone that knows why he says NO.

I read the book and they don't go into it.....

Thanks for posting this question..
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:30

Stats: 250/230/165 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 24%

I take:

2 - One A Day's Weight Smart Multi Vitamins
2 - 1,000 mg Calcium / Magnesium
2 - Vitamin C's 1,000 mg
1 - Vitamin E 1,000 IU
2 - 4 Omega 3 & 6 Fish Oils

I break these up and take 1/2 in the am and 1/2 in the PM. I feel sooo much better since I started doing this.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 11:33

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

In my whole hoggness I went out and bought those expensive Atkins vitamins!
I take :
2 Dieters Advantage 2x day
2 Essential Oils 1x
1 Basic 3 3x

AND just checked there is no iron in any of these.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/144/140 Female 5'7"
BF:36%/29%/whatever
Progress: 89%
Default anemia

this is a very interesting topic to me since i just had blood taken at the lab this morning primarily to test whether i am deficient in iron.

i initially thought, how can i be deficient in iron while doing atkins ... the idea seemed mutually exclusive to me, but really i don't eat all that much meat, and certainly not that much red meat - anyway... i look forward to getting the results - i want my energy back!

Penny
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:29

Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/

Penk, that is how i was feeling when I was told i was boarderline anemic and to add meats and take a multivitamin w/iron.

Please let us know what your results say.

Have a great weekend!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:

I actually e-mailed atkins.com to find out about this issue the other day. Still no reply at the moment though.

I have bought an all in one capsule that includes 100% RDA of most vitamins and minerals (and also unfortunaly iron). I am hoping that this wont damage my weight-loss. The pills are fookin huge !
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 13:54

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Dr. A maintained that TOO MUCH iron is harmful and that if you were doing Atkins you were getting a lot of iron from your food so that is the reason he said be careful of iron supplements. Of course as in everything, people are different and you have to do what works for you.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 11:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 180/151/125
BF:
Progress: 53%

I take

Quest super one a day ( 15 mcg ) of iron

Jamieson calcium

Jamieson Potassium

Swiss Zinc

Jamieson Vitamin C

Flax oil
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 11:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-Modified (TKD)
Stats: 263/245/210 Male 75 inches
BF:31%/25%/10%
Progress: 34%

I also take the Atkin's Supplements right now, but I am looking for a more affordable way to do this in the long run-

2 Dieters Advantage 2x day
2 Essential Oils 1x
1 Basic 3 3x
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 12:21

Stats: 196/150/135 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I take Centrum Complete with added ginsing and ginko. I figure I lose enough iron monthly that I'm not planning on worrying about it. Plus, I don't eat all that much red meat, so again, I'm not going to make too much of a fuss.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 12:24

Stats: 166/125.5/130 Female 66"
BF:24%
Progress: 113%

I worried about the iron subject when I started Atkins because I have well water which has trace metals, etc in it already, including iron! (If you could see the inside of my dishwasher, you'd know that!) So my glasses of water are adding iron to my diet right along with the meat and I didn't want to "overdose" on iron so I bought the Atkins supplements to be safe.

However, the Atkins supplements are pricey so I asked my pharmacist what she would recommend for next time around. I live in a small town and our pharmacist is great. I didn't know it but she follows Atkins too -- we had a really great conversation about it -- she was at 225 when she started and sure is looking great now although I didn't ask her current weight even though I wanted to!

She said any of the vitamins like Centrum Silver would be fine. Even though they are packaged as being specifically for older people, they are very similar to "regular" multi-vitamins and have no iron in them. So that'll be my next multi-vitamin purchase, although I'm still going to take the Atkins Essential Oils!

Julie
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-13, 08:50

Stats: 323/306/170 Female 81"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Looking for a vitamin

Ok. I'd like to resurrect this discussion.

I am looking for a vitamin. Centrum has iron, though you are right not the geriatric. I do note they do list cornstarch as an ingredient (of course how much it a tiny pill.. however). It's hard to shop on the net as you aren't sure what you are getting, and can't always check the back of the package. I'd like one without sugar as for some reason they are putting in a pill (who is tasting this thing anyways, maybe they are gluconate bound or what have you). I'd like one with omegas and D included, but can take separately as I try and take them anyway to up my fat content for the day as I'm not a skin or fat junkie. I do use olive oil for omega 9, but supplement 3 and 6. Though I do try and get as many "good" fats as I can though avacados etc. I also take a fiber supplement, as the low roughage (fruit/veg) diet can be hard on the colon.. and to reduce colon cancer risks, reduce cholesterol, prevent constipation and help out reduce gallstones, I try and take about 10-25mg a day or psyllium husk.

I also wanted to go over some of the other comments in this post that I can answer Yeah iron can be toxic and build up in several organs which is why overdosing is bad. If you want the full list : http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...icle/002659.htm
You can get your iron levels checked if you are concerned due to the water or your cookware etc. There is no reason to use cast iron cookware if you don't need the iron. : / If you like scrubbing the crap out of pans and pots instead you can use a nice set without the nonstick (with all of the concerns about those coming out and the government restricting so many of the materials that were once safe... ugg). Nonstick may be thing of the past.

Free radicals are (as basic as I can) things that float around and stick to your DNA (and other stuff), then when the DNA goes to make another cell it copies wrong and gives an error, some of which become cancer. Your body is correcting these errors all the time, when it can. So getting less would be lovely. And it's one of the reasons you are taking your multivitamin and not just eating ground beef alone for every meal You need those other vitamins not just to do different things in the body, but some.. their soul purpose (that humanity knows of) is removing these radicals. And given any American diet or Atkins diet has many supplemented chemicals, the cookware does, burnt meat does, and animal products collect chemicals and then pass them on to the ingestors (circle of life blah blah), it's good to get these into your body to reduce your risks. Since the low carb diets often are low in these free radical absorbers (aka binders, or stick to ers) which stick to free radicals before they stick to "you" and cause problems you take vitamins. You try to get nice amounts of your flavonoids, phytochemicals, polyphenols, catechins, minerals, vitamins from dense foods and look for the ORAC recipes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxygen...rbance_capacity
Yay!

To get rid of excess iron, you are right bleeding is the way to go. Blood donation being one of the best ways. Most cities even have a frequent doner program that gives you a nice gift certificate, just bring your own snack and really push some salty broth the day or two before and the day or too after, the low fluid state is a killer on atkins. After that ladies have periods. And then random blood losses. Your doc can check if you have too much iron with a blood test. A few medical problems it can make it serious. So can low iron so don't just cut yourself to remove (gross). Everyone is different.

Vitamins ADEK are all ones that taking too much can hurt (like eating too much liver gives an O.D. of sorts), but many minerals like iron overdose are also problematic. From the last few years I think E and K have had no reported ODs and they think that maybe there are more things removing them. I think the current recommended amount for this antioxidant is 300mg/d. And that is of the nonsynthetic d-alpha tocopherol rather than the 50% less effective dl-alpha-tocopherol (no way around those chemistry words).

So back to the first paragraph... I need a vitamin. Who is using what? Mine currently has iron, I'm just getting through the last part of the prenatal vitamins I had left over while breast feeding. Now that I'm off I'm looking for one as my low carb diet restarts.

Anyone read anything they want to link about CoQ10 from a reputable source? Discuss plant sterols supplementation in butter? Correct something I said? Add?

Last edited by krystrandy : Mon, Nov-04-13 at 09:41.