Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 12:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/228.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Question flourless chocolate cake

I have a great recipe (Not low carb) for flourless chocolate cake. I want to make it for company and am trying to convert it to low carb. the only ingredient that is a problem is the semi sweet chocolate. It calls for 1lb. I am assuming that I can use unsweetened bakers chocolate in its place but don't know how much sweetener to add. I am assuming I need to add splenda because it gets baked. Anyone know? I hope so...........

thanks in advance,
stacey
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 12:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

There's a cake that's quite similar over at the Low Carb Luxury website. I would replace the water called for with whipping cream.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 14:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/228.5/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks Karen, that is so similar to the original recipe. I do them in small ramekins so they are like individual souffles. I hope they turn out good tomorrow so when they think I am off program with this decadent meal I am serving, I can educate them!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 12:50
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default good chocolate

Hi, Karen.

About that chocolate cake--and any other recipe that calls for unsweetened chocolate:

Can you/should you use less than the amount called for when you use a high-quality unsweetened chocolate like Callebaut? I picked some up at Galloway's and find it quite wonderfully INTENSE.

By the way, had first meal ever at Fish House on Saturday at lunch. The swordfish was divine and the German's chocolate cheesecake was great!

Thanks.
Anny
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 00:41
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Can you/should you use less than the amount called for when you use a high-quality unsweetened chocolate like Callebaut?
Yes, you can use 1/3 less and make up the difference with cocoa butter. Just cutting the amount won't work because you need the setting power of the chocolate and cocoa butter) to get the right texture in most recipes.
Quote:
By the way, had first meal ever at Fish House on Saturday at lunch. The swordfish was divine and the German's chocolate cheesecake was great!
Thanks so much for saying so. Next time you're in, ask for me!

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 00:42.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:53
WannaHaveFun

Plan: protvegfatprotvegfatprotv
Stats: 183/165/155 Female 67 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Thanks, Karen! I really wouldn't have thought of that aspect ("setting power"). Oooh, cocoa butter--sounds like another quest. If you have a chance, maybe you could give me tips on where to get it around Vanc.--probably not Safeway, eh? Maybe Gourmet Warehouse? Famous Foods?

Will definitely ask for you next time I'm at the Fish House (although staff looked incredibly BUSY!). Looking forward to meeting you at the dinner November 6th, anyway.

#7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 10:31
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
If you have a chance, maybe you could give me tips on where to get it around Vanc.
Give Galloway's a call. I think they carry it. And I might have seen it at Choices. A warning though, it's $$$.

I'm looking forward to the dinner too!

Karen