Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 12:50

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%
Thumbs up Good & Easy LC Dessert

Just wanted to share a good & easy low carb dessert idea with you, even non low carbers will like!
Vanilla Mousse 4 servings
1pkg vanilla sugar free pudding mix
1 pint (2cups) heavy cream
Mix on low speed for about 2 min, then divide into cups or bowls. Cover & refrigerate. Top with a few (2-3) of your favorite fresh berries- raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc.. Garnish w/ whipped cream if you like, just add to carb count. Can also be made w/chocolate pudding mix if you like.
4g carbs per serving, not OK while on Induction but fine for OWL
Does contain aspartame in pudding mix.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: akins
Stats: 187/183/145
BF:???
Progress: 10%

I thank you, unfortunatly, I will have to save for a couple of weeks, I am on day 7, and still need a big drop..
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 14:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Are you sure that's 4 grams of carb per serving? My sugar-free vanilla pudding mix (4 serving package) lists 6 grams of carb per serving and that's just for the mix. It's 12 grams per serving made with milk. If you add 2 cups of heavy cream, that's another 13 grams of carb.
What I come up with for a 4 serving package of sugar free vanilla pudding made with heavy cream is 24 grams of carb for the mix and 13 grams of carb for the cream for a total of 37 grams of carb. Divide that by 4 and you get 9.25 grams per serving. Divide by 6 and you still get over 6 grams per serving.
There is a way to cut the carbs further and that would be to use half cream and half water. That would drop the total carb count to 30.5, or 7.6 grams for 4 servings/5 grams for 6 servings.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:23
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I too was wondering about the carb count on this one. With out even checking the diet pudding package, I know there is 1 carb for every once of cream. So for the half of cup cream serving in one serving there would be 4 carbs. Then you add in the 6 carbs for 1/4 package and you have a total of 10 carbs running.

I use the Atkins powdered shake mix, 1/2 scoup of that only has 1/4 a carb, mixed with 3oz cream and 1 splenda you have a total of 4.25 carbs total! Whipped cream opt
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:26

BF:

My mix, not Jello Brand, says 1 serving of 1/2c when prepared w/ 2% milk contains 8g carbs. It only gives the prepared nutritional info on my package, not the mix info. I'm looking at it again now & it says "mix prepared w/ 2%" & is followed by the info. So thought it would be around 4g w/ heavy cream vs. milk. Maybe I'm wrong, if so sorry.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:36
& Dillion Doggie Do!

The way they put things on packages is very confusing, mine is a store brand pudding. It list both the MIX and PREPARED WITH SKIM MILK. Yet is only gives one carb count of 6g. And accoring to Fitday.com 1 cup of skim has 11+ carbs in it. So I think they are only listing the main carbs in the product. Whole milk also have 11 carbs in a cup. They like to lie to us I think, or as I call it when explaining to my DH how much I actually spent "creative book keeping"
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:41
& Dillion Doggie Do!

NOW my adding doesn't make sence either! Could it be 6 carbs total for the prepared 1/2 serving?!? That would mean that the pudding powder has no carbs in it at all. Maybe Karen will come along and answer this one!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:55

BF:

I'm totally confused! 2cups of 2% has 23.4g carbs, so divided by 4=5.85 which in theory leaves 2.15g of carbs for the mix to give the total of 8, right? So if that's the case then... 6.4 carbs in 2cups of heavy whipping cream(.8 per 2tbsp) divided by 4=1.6, then add back the mix at 2.15g leaving you with a total of 3.75g per serving? Maybe? I want to clear this up before eating a full serving; I just licked the spoon when making it to see how it would taste. Help!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 17:00
& Dillion Doggie Do!

I laughing here, at least you came up with a carb count for the pudding mix it self! Passed it off to the DH and now we are both wondering it the mix itself has a carb count at all!?! Just scratching my head over the ingedients listed. Maybe I should be eating more of this stuff!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 17:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I was looking at a box of sugar free Jello vanilla pudding mix.
It says: (as packaged)
Calories: 25
calories from fat: 0
Protein: 0
sugars: 0

It also lists the stats as 70 calories per serving prepared with skim milk with 0 of those calories coming from fat.

So from that, we have a little over 6 grams of carb just from the mix and anything you add would have to be counted into the total carb count whether it is milk or cream.

Amy...since yours gives the stats for pudding prepared with 2% milk let's see what we can work out from that.

1 cup of 2% milk has 13 grams of carb per 8 fluid ounces according to my carb book. That would be 6.5 grams of carb from the milk and would leave 1.5 grams from the mix (package lists 8 grams total). Add 3.25 grams for 1/2 cup of cream and it would be 4.75 grams of carb per serving (without berries, of course), so your math wasn't that far off. It's the brand that differs.

I guess that Jello sugar-free pudding, which is what I was using for reference, must be higher in carbs for the mix than your brand.

I agree that the way that they list the nutritional information is confusing and hard to figure out. It got me a few weeks ago on a can of black soybeans that I misread the label on (and didn't check the math) and it worked out to a lot more carbs per serving than I thought.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 17:11
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Lessons learned

Amy make a great dessert!
And some diet puddings have more carbs than others, look around

Boy am I glad that over
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 18:08

BF:

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all your help. I was going to be bummed out if it was really a high carb dessert & had to throw it away. Now that I know it's safe, I'll be eating it for dessert later.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 07:41

BF:

After eating a full serving size, I'd recommend dividing it into 6-8 serving sizes instead of 4. It's very good but very very rich & filling. Bonus- more servings means less carbs per serving too. Never before now have I had a hard time finishing my dessert, high or low carb! It also didn't knock me out of ketosis, so our calculations must be about right.
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne