Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-21, 11:29

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Lose weight fast: High protein & fibre

Dr Seb Rushworth has a recent blog post suggesting increasing fibre as well as protein will likely maximise weight loss:
https://sebastianrushworth.com/2021...weight-rapidly/

If you've not come across him before, his blog is worth perusing for his take on health & diet topics.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-21, 12:03

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I checked this out. I liked a lot of what he says. Most people ARE interested in losing weight fast.

I'd just like to note that 50g is a whole lot of fiber! I start every day with a ground flaxseed muffin with a couple TBS (not sure the exact amount) of flaxseed. It only amounts to about 10g fiber. My normal daily menu totals about 20g fiber. I can't imagine eating enough vegetables, berries, and avocado to add up to 50g--although I do eat all those things regularly.

Might be some appetite difference between an old lady and an old (?) male doc?

For now, I'm going with a higher protein target. And, of course, very low carbs, which excludes sweet potatoes.

Thanks for posting the article.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-21, 12:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
I checked this out. I liked a lot of what he says. Most people ARE interested in losing weight fast.

I'd just like to note that 50g is a whole lot of fiber! I start every day with a ground flaxseed muffin with a couple TBS (not sure the exact amount) of flaxseed. It only amounts to about 10g fiber. My normal daily menu totals about 20g fiber. I can't imagine eating enough vegetables, berries, and avocado to add up to 50g--although I do eat all those things regularly.

Might be some appetite difference between an old lady and an old (?) male doc?

For now, I'm going with a higher protein target. And, of course, very low carbs, which excludes sweet potatoes.

Thanks for posting the article.

Me too. I eat about 25 gms of fiber a day which includes one very large salad every day. I can't imagine eating 50 gas of fiber every day.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-21, 12:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is exactly Dr Ted Naiman's Low Energy Diet, including the advice to eat 30-40% protein. https://www.lowenergydiet.com/WhatisaLED.html. The basic guidelines work well for quick, and also long lasting, weight loss.

Like Barb and Jean, I wonder about that fiber amount! Although I have wildly increased the amount of vegetables and fruits with the PE Diet from strict LC before, and like the feeling of fullness from having big stir-frys, snacking on carrots and snap peas…50 grams is a large amount of fiber! 3 cups of the Costco stir-fry mix I use is only 8 g fiber, a cup of berries is 4 g, I don’t use fiber supplements, and rarely have anything with flaxmeal, I just can’t imagine it. I’m looking at my foods, meals and days in Cronometer….not even close. And this young, male doctor starts his veg lists with 16g of fiber for 100 calories of cauliflower, OK …but that is 4 cups!

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-24-21 at 14:03.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-21, 18:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Does he differentiate between soluble fiber and insoluble??

He discusses this here. https://sebastianrushworth.com/2020...or-weight-loss/

Looks like a similar list to Atkins allowable list. Just heaps more.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Oct-24-21 at 19:31.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-21, 03:28

In his conclusion, beans and cereal are out due high carbs and gas. What does he eat that I don’t? Nuts….but 1/4 cup of chopped walnut pieces has only 2 g fiber, with almost 200 calories. Not exactly weight loss food.
Seems he has another food tracker that gives all his fiber suggestions more grams of fiber than Cronometer. I seriously would like to try to up my fiber intake, some magic vegetable I haven’t thought of, more low calorie and high fiber, but it is hard to even hit 20% carbs, without feeling my stomach expand.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-21, 05:51

I mix up stir-fries or a big salad for lunch too. Still hard to get that much fiber.

Quote:
Nutrient density is the icing on the cake of satiety and optimal nutrition. However, adequate protein without excess energy (from fat and carbs) is the cake.

Getting adequate protein without excess energy is the first fundamental step in optimising your nutrition and increasing satiety. If you read no further, this is the simple take-home message.

The message from a long, detailed article by Marty Kendall. https://optimisingnutrition.com/is-...-system-broken/

Eating more vegetable fiber was key to my being satisfied, good satiety per calorie. I don’t want to give the impression I disagree with this doctor…more power to him if he can eat that much
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-21, 10:39

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Just for yuks, I made a list of vegetables I might actually add in order to furnish the extraordinary number of fiber grams suggested. I know that spinach (love I!) and cabbage (also good, if gassy) and cauliflower cook down--so more veggie taking less space.

So far:
Spinach 4 cups 2.6 g
1/2 avocado. 5.8 g. (avocado is not a calorie bargain)
Cabbage 2c. 4.5
Cauliflower 2c. 5.0 (cooked and mashed)

Even "boiled down" in this or that recipe, this only adds up to approx. 18g. Still a long way from 50! Never mind. Pass me the Mashed Fauxtatoes (cauliflower).

Last edited by bkloots : Mon, Oct-25-21 at 10:44.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-21, 11:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Good grief, even the F-Plan diet (remember that one!) only recommends a daily fibre intake of between 25-30g.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-21, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/170/165 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I add chia seeds to my diet in yogurt and salads, that really increases fiber counts.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 02:21

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I take in 50+ g fiber/day; but I fell off the Paleo wagon and have been way overdoing grains. Additionally, I eat at least 2 big salads most days plus additional veggies (love veggies).
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-26-21, 08:34

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I tried eating half a large cauliflower for lunch. OMG. Uncomfortably stuffed to the gills. And not even close to 50.

The fiber load in mushrooms is abismal. 3. Just 3. That sauted mushrooms cooked to a crisp still retained it's shape gave hope for a higher fiber content. Nope.

Perhaps targeting probiotics and prebiotics is an option to maximize the microbe population on a lesser than 50g fiber diet.........