Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 06:08

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Menopausal and needing some advice

Hey, I haven't been here in quite a while - used to read and post all the time.
I've been low carbing since August 10, 2004 so it's nearly my anniversary again.

I've had a bit of weight gain over the past 9 months or so - about 7 lbs which I am keen to get rid of. Started a new job, moved, officially menopausal all within the last 15 months so things were super stressy!

I started exercise 2 weeks ago, got through the initial soreness and feeling good now. Feel like I'm building some strength in a way that I'm not likely to injure myself. Energy up! Sleeping well. Scale is NOT moving! I expected that the first week due to inflammation and muscle fluid storage, but really thought the scale would move this week.

Still low carb - hungrier now, of course, and started eating breakfast which I did not do before.

Typical Day
2 eggs scrambled with sprinkle of shred cheese, black coffee

Salad with veg and ranch dressing, some meat 3-4 oz probably, Greek yogurt with about 1/3 cup berries

Might have an Atkins shake or a low-carb mug cake if super hungry for snack

Meat, veg at supper

SF popsicle or LC ice cream bar (portion control!) at supper

I used to have a BIG nut habit which I've curbed due to lack of self-control with portions. Cheese intake is way down, too.

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 10:01

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Losing weight after menopause is a b*&^%. I can't tell you it's going to be as easy as it was before. But congratulations on your earlier big loss and mainly keeping it off for so long--and for jumping on your small gain before it becomes a big one!!

One possibility is that you're building muscle which is replacing fat--so you might be getting smaller, but the scale isn't moving.

Also, you've started working out, but have added another meal, so it's possible you're still in the same caloric balance you were before and have shortened the window when you keep your insulin low. One thing that might help with that is shifting when you eat the extra food. You could go back to skipping breakfast and adding a little extra to lunch and dinner. Hopefully, that will keep you satiated while still giving you a long daily stretch (after dinner to lunch the next day) where you aren't eating and keeping your insulin very low.

Finally, I'd encourage you to review your protein intake. Sarcopenia (loss of muscle mass) is a very real issue in older adults and while it typically starts around 40, it really comes on with a bang in menopausal women. Increasing your protein intake to combat this is advisable. Plus you want to increase it to go along with your new exercise habit. From eyeballing your food list you're maybe getting somewhere between 65–80g of protein, depending on the size of your servings. I think you want to be closer to 100g. One easy rule of thumb is 1.5g per kilo of your goal weight. So 150 lbs => 68 kg * 1.5 = 102g Some people would go higher if they're working out really hard several days a week.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 10:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hey, I remember you! We've had countless members come and go, and it's usually assumed that they just gave up. It's really nice to see that a departed-but-returning member just didn't need to discuss it all the time anymore. You're just shy of 15 years - congratulations!

I would focus on the recent changes here: as CityGirl8 pointed out, you added an extra meal. Consider time-restricted eating again. I'm a huge believer in that for everyone, and it's not necessarily intermittent fasting (although that is a strategy to consider, too) : it just means, "eat a filling meal, don't snack in between, and don't eat again until you're good and hungry." For sure, there are other lifestyle issues that complicate that. I get it - I work shift, I don't have much choice on my break times, and it's important to me to enjoy a nice dinner with my husband. But consider tweaking the eating times.

Other changes you can try, but they're no fun: ditch the foods that aren't adding much to your meal, but might be contributing to weight gain: the ice cream/popsicles, the cheese on your eggs, etc. Maybe just have an extra egg instead. That kind of thing.

You and I are about the same height and weight, and I've decided that I'm not willing to give up the enjoyable foods and eating times to achieve a lower weight goal. Good on you if you are motivated to do so; I've tried and given up. At 44, I'm just peri-menopausal and my hormones have other plans for me. I wish you success and hope you'll come back and keep us posted.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 13:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi Mama! Post-meno weightloss is truly a b#$~! I gave up and decided that I need to focus on being healthy, happy and all that other stuff instead. I still eat low carb and paleo, but weight loss... forget it (for me)!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 13:18

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

How about exercise? Are you getting in a little walk now and then? I am 70, so I understand how difficult it is to lose, especially when you only have a little bit to lose. I know many here say you don't need to exercise, but I find we (DH76 and I) lose better and feel better if we take a daily 30-minute walk, and it's good for our arteries.

I'd ditch the nightly popsicles and ice cream bars--wild blueberries every night with FF whipped cream is what brought me back here--it comes back on so fast. Not fair. Maybe dairy is your nemesis?

Also, you could get your thyroid checked. Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 18:12

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Thanks for the responses so far...keep em coming!

Additional protein intake can be tough for me. When I leave the house in the morning I take all the food with me for the day...and I work in such a way that I'm not always sure I'll be able to use a microwave - or even sit down to eat!

Also, I'm an Orthodox Christian which means ideally I would be vegan every Wednesday and Friday, plus long periods of vegan eating at different times through the year. In all honesty I've not been able to stick with that well due to overwhelming hunger and - of course - the carbs!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-19, 21:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im on vaca and left a batch of reading books at home, so nothing to offer right now. The books covered womens hormones and how to manage them via co troling insulin and cortisol.

Otherwise, i added testosterone HRT again and allready feel the effects. Incontinence issues have dimished in short time. Other issues like muscle strenth will improve.

My blood test showed low levels, and a multitude of problems directly due to low levels, prompted endocrinologist to write a script.

Perhaps consider testing your estrogens, progesterone and testosterone. Then investigate how to get each to optimal levels. More than one way from what the books cover.

Will read and fill you in on the books covering this.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 05:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

In my extensive and torturous experience NATURAL hormone rebalancing is vital.

Those scary HRT findings? Done in women with ARTIFICIAL versions and years after the menopause. Thanks a bunch, bad science. I had to fight to get past the automatic Prozac scrip, which I refused to take.

Hit things at the source.

I recently lost 30 pounds on a very low carb Keto plan. It can be done. But you have to work all the levers.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-04-19, 08:30

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm post-menopausal (66) & t2 diabetic as well. I'm FINALLY losing weight (& controlling my bg better) by limiting protein. It's still slow, but I've lost 15 lbs in the past 6 months. I pulled out some clothes I wore before my last weight gain & I'm able to wear all but 1 blouse. It's so nice!