Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 291/283.0/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Just from reading this thread I've found a bunch of things i'm doing wrong on induction. I am eating pork rinds, I've had sugar free jello, and yes I bought the chocolate Atkins bars - which are delicious but I do split them with my husband.

What a great thread - now I can adjust accordingly. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:46
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICountToo
Just from reading this thread I've found a bunch of things i'm doing wrong on induction. I am eating pork rinds, I've had sugar free jello, and yes I bought the chocolate Atkins bars - which are delicious but I do split them with my husband.

What a great thread - now I can adjust accordingly. Thanks!

I just don't see that eating pork rinds is wrong on induction, or sugarfree jello either, for that matter. Pork rinds are pork...just like the bacon we all love on induction!
  #123   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 21:58
Registered Member

Stats: 307/252.5/239 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:????
Progress: 80%

I agree too....jello is fine with HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM>>>>NO CANNED STUFF! Pork rinds, I don't like em, but I was under the impression they are okay too...I would just check the brand you are using to see what kind of oil was used...check the carbs...Love those bars! Sure does get me out of a sugar craving..and who said you have to eat the whole thing? Keep up the good work!
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 05:03

Plan: Atkins, Daily Cardio, Some weight training, Pillates & Yoga
Stats: // Female 5'8.5
BF:25.5%
Progress:

Thank you for speaking for me (us) Karen! That unfamiliar word MODERATION has NEVER been in my psyche ever. I don't do ANYTHING in moderation. Be it exercise, eating, loving, having fun. I just am not a moderation kindof gal. Which is a trait most people love in me but can get me in trouble in some areas!

The worst mistake I made on my new Dr. Atkins LCWOL was overdoing everything. I stayed on induction too long (8weeks) and (I've just recenlty learned) I've "overtrained" in my exercise routine. Getting my heart rate up too high for too long stops fat loss during exercise. Too much induction prohibits any kind of hunger so I ate too little, therefore being in starvation mode to boot. I'm loosening up and eating more veggies and other okay carbs as well as cutting back exercising about 35%. This behavior can lead to a lifetime of health as apposed to rapid weight loss or instant gratification.

I totally avoid scales by the way.....the way my clothes fit and my friends and family are better indicators of how well I'm doing!

Marg
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 23:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/197/165 Male 5 9
BF:38
Progress: 33%

I used to eat a half gallon of ice cream in two days. Luckly that carving is solved with a 2g chocolate bar. I have to watch out for bards made ti (sic) metitlol. After the second bar I had stomach cramps for four hours. good luck. I do see there is hope in losing my nine month old pregent stomach. I though men could not get pregeht. tom
  #126   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 01:39

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
I though men could not get pregeht. tom

*snickers* You shoulda seen my DH before starting Atkins! I declare! The man never tucks in a shirt, always wears t-shirts or polo-type-shirts, and the bottoms were hanging out away from his body! I was going to take a picture of him tonight (will get one later, though) and he asked, 'Why, so you could put it on the web?' And I said, 'Yeah, right beside that one of you sitting topless at your PC with the 'pregnant belly'! Before and after pictures, right? Anyway, he's sure looking a lot better and feeling so much better, too! It took him under two weeks to go down an entire pant size. Now, though, it's not coming off so fast, but he and I both know it will eventually.
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 01:45

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Mistakes
1. Having nuts in the house.
2. Taking NeoCitran (20g carbs).
3. Taking dizziness as a signal that I need more carbs.
4. Eating carbs so that I lose no more than 5# per week (chickened out after losing 5 for the week).
5. Accepting wheat bread, apple juice etc. when eating in restaurants: better to go without.

What I did right
1. Ate lots of vegetables.
2. Give preference to real foods.
3. Read tons of books.
4. Learned heaps about fat metabolism and nutrition.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:31

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Mistakes:
*Buying cashews. Which always leads to eating cashews. Telling myself a "small child's fistful" is the size of a small child...
*Not drinking enough water to compensate for coffee drinking.
*Falling into the sameoldsameold trap. I had to learn to cook.
*My cravings went away so quickly and easily I didn't realize they could start up again as quickly. "Tortilla" creep was a problem since so many of my favorite restaurants do wraps. I learned to just get them without the wrap.
  #129   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 10:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/136/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

Did your bars say 2 net carbs. and where do you find hidden carbs?
  #130   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 15:58

Stats: 290/238/185 Male 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

I looked at several of the LC bars at GNC and it looked like they all really had about 20g carbs per bar. I just read the label. Maybe I'll take another look at them after a while. The "reward" for all the carbs just didn't seem tempting.

One mistake I made was mistaking thirst for hunger. On day three I ate lunch, ate more, and ate some more and was still hungry. I decided that maybe I was just thirsty, drank a liter of water and felt fine. I had a lot of calories that day learning though :>)
  #131   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 20:37
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStix
Mistakes
1. Having nuts in the house.
2. Taking NeoCitran (20g carbs).
3. Taking dizziness as a signal that I need more carbs.
4. Eating carbs so that I lose no more than 5# per week (chickened out after losing 5 for the week).
5. Accepting wheat bread, apple juice etc. when eating in restaurants: better to go without.

What I did right
1. Ate lots of vegetables.
2. Give preference to real foods.
3. Read tons of books.
4. Learned heaps about fat metabolism and nutrition.

..but I thought dizziness WAS a sign you need a few more carbs? Also, losing more than 5 lbs a week is not only difficult but dangerous, IMHO... Everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  #132   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 09:59

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

This is my favorite thread and full of wisdom!

Here are mine:

1 - Weighing myself more than once a week.
2 - Nuts! Too hard to stop at the right time.
3 - The franken foods stop my weight loss everytime.
4 - Exercise does make a difference as much as I hate to admit it .
5- The biggest mistake of all was thinking I could stop this WOE at anytime and return. Nope.

Orchid
  #133   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 19:52

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

What a great thread to find! Originally, I came to this site in July 2003 when I tried Atkins. I did everything WRONG.

1. Read the book, understood the book, but never referenced the book again... especially when I needed the scientific evidence to keep me working the program.

2. Too many legal treats - my entire meal plan revolved around sweet treats. I was coming down hard from my sugar addiction and using 5-10 Splenda packets a day along with 1/2-1 cup Da Vinci syrup to ease the withdrawal.

3. Way toooo much dairy. See above.

4. Fear of fat. 'Nuff said.

5. Not dealing with the emotional/mental aspects of being a food addict.

6. Being too obsessed to the point of compulsion with counting carbs - like I used to count WW points.

I am a newbie on PPLP now, but I feel like I have such a better handle on this WOL!
  #134   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-04, 19:42

Stats: 298/295/150 Female 5feet 7 inches
BF:I don't know yet
Progress:

Hi karen I don't understand the problem with the sugar free jello and whipped cream problem, could you explain it to me please. I am using lite whipped cream, if this makes a difference.

Thanks Denise
  #135   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 01:18
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The problem is not with the Jell-o and whipped cream, it's with eating too much Jell-o and whipped cream and artificially sweetened foods. The fake stuff can make you think it's all fine because it's low-carb, but for a lot of people - like the ones posting about it in this 5 page thread - it's not.

Karen