Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 19:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I too dont make my beloved mac n cheese any more. Its been soooo long my children have never had it. Trying to teach better food choices.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Tue, Jul-23-19 at 19:57.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 21:56

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Several years ago my DH, who doesn't eat cheese, went to visit his family in Europe for several weeks, Before he left he said "so now you can make macaroni & cheese as often as you want!", to which I responded that he knew perfectly well I wasn't eating macaroni anymore. Well then, says he, you've been making macaroni & cheese without cheese for me for years (family joke; macaroni casserole, but without cheese), so surely you can make it without macaroni! So I did a bit of looking, and indeed, found a recipe with cauliflower that hits all the right notes for me. I don't make it often - I don't need to for me, and he won't eat it, of course - but occasionally that is what I crave. Other noodle dishes, for me, are more about the sauce, so I might just do the sauce with a veggie side dish. I am experimenting with veggie noodles, but haven't quite hit my stride with that.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 13:44

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I would love to eat mac & cheese, but I wouldn't eat it with the cauliflower either

But my macaroni days are done. I still eat lots of cheese though.

Bob
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-19, 15:00

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I would love to eat mac & cheese, but I wouldn't eat it with the cauliflower either

But my macaroni days are done. I still eat lots of cheese though.

Bob

Being, so far as I know, predominantly of Irish & Scottish heritage, not Italian, I don't have a "pasta" gene letting me know that cauliflower "macaroni" is wrong. If anything, it is my "cauliflower" gene warning me away from the pasta
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 06:46

BF:

My grandparents were all born in Italy, so I must have macaroni genes.

Actually I can't stand cauliflower. I know it's supposed to be good for me, but like broccoli and cabbage, I can't get it past the gag reflex.

Shirataki noodles don't have the right texture. I used to get "Skinni Spaghetti" but as I drifted away from soy, especially GMO soy, it became a no-no.

Actually I have no problem with GMO foods except the reason they are modified. I the case of soy, so they can withstand massive doses of glyphosate (Round-up) which according to many scientists is a probable carcinogen, and it's banned in Europe because of the evidence of that.

So no more macaroni for me, it's either carbs, bad taste, or poison and neither of those appeal to me.

There are things I had go give up to go keto, but there are other things I get to eat.

My priorities: Health first, taste second.

Bob
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-19, 07:19

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Since going with my current WOE, my tastes have changed considerably. No longer do I crave carbs of any kind, and bakeries have no draw for me in the least. However, if I walk by a steak house or a Peruvian chicken place during meal time with delicious smells in the air, it's quite pleasant. Yes, health first, and the taste is pretty damn good as well.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jul-26-19, 17:34

BF:

The smell of fresh baked bread and popcorn still get to me. But if I'm in a place where either is being prepared I can enjoy the aroma without indulging.

Sometimes I get an urge for starch, but that's rare, and easy to ignore. I've been doing this for a long time.

Bob
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 06:39

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I no longer see some things as actual food. More like those wax lips or other non-foods from the candy aisle.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Jul-27-19, 13:56

BF:

I don't eat them, but they still smell good. And they don't make me crave them anymore, but I still enjoy the smell as I enjoy the smell of the Sabal Palm tree blooming out my window.

Bob
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jul-28-19, 02:23

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
My grandparents were all born in Italy, so I must have macaroni genes.
lol i work around my rice genes.