Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-06-03, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 230/225/170 Female 5'3"
BF:48%/43%/30%
Progress: 8%
Default French Onion Soup

taken from The Low-Carb Comfort Cookbook by Eades
(with a minor alteration)

1 1/2 C thinly sliced onion (sweet)
4 TBLS butter
1 TBLS Wondra flour
3 1/2 C low-carb beef or mushroom broth
salt and pepper to taste

Low carb bread or croutons or thinly sliced low carb rolls
1/2 C swiss cheese

After this soup has finished simmering, preheat oven to 375 F. Have ready lightly buttered ovenproof earthenware soup bowls or a deep casserole dish.

Heat butter in a heavy, medium saucepan. Add onions and cook until translucent. Add the flour and stir. Add the broth and stir. Simmer for about 30 min. Season with salt and pepper. Put the soup in a the prepared bowls.

Toast bread, or thinly slice rolls, discarding ends and toast slices in toaster oven. Place on top of soup. Sprinkle cheese on top. Do not cover. Put the bowls in the oven for about 15 min until cheese and bread look crusted and slightly browned. Serve at once.

Makes 5 or 6 servings.
Approximately 32g carb and 4g fiber for a net total carb of 28g. (Before bread counts as that may vary but it does include cheese)
So 5.6g (at 5 servings) or 4.67g (at 6 servings). (Again before bread)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 04:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/229/172 Male 5'11"
BF: Yes-VERY! %-)
Progress: 53%

Thanks for posting this...I've been missing French Onion Soup for weeks now, and I knew it was just going to get worse when we got to the cool nights of Fall. My standard recipe calls for port wine, and was resisting my best efforts to LC modify it...this sounds like it may do the trick!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 17:04
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
My standard recipe calls for port wine, and was resisting my best efforts to LC modify it...this sounds like it may do the trick!

Not as good as port wine, but I like to make it with a combo of cognac and red wine. It gives it a deep rich flavor. I also cook mine for about 5 hours. I havent made a LC version of it, but most alcohols arent high carb (port is :-(... and I love it too) but eventually when I am in the mood I will experiment with it. I have yet to find low carb broth though. Everything I find is 3g per cup, so I might need to make my own from scratch.