Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 07:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%
Smile My husband, slow but steady...

My husband started low carbing early in November, and a few days ago he had a doctor appointment. He's lost 15 pounds in 5 months.

Admittedly he is not strict about it. He has a chronic condition that makes him feel lousy sometimes, and at those times he'll have ice cream or donuts, but I think he probably averages around 100 grams a day, because other times he will be much better. He likes the food very much and has completely eliminated such things as sugared yogurt, cereal, and switched to low carb bread.

In our discussions of "half-assedKins" I'm sure he would qualify. Still, he has lost weight, something his condition makes very difficult, and this experience has renewed his resolve. Also, his blood pressure has gone from 140/98 to 128/78, which is great!

I offer this as my experience, which is that any carb cutting will be beneficial. Perhaps not fast, but it does have benefits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 07:40
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Well maybe there is hope for my husband too. He is a workaholic and even though he gets entirely free medical coverage, he does not like to go to the doctor and hasn't gone for a long long time. I personally think if he would he might be in for a shock as far as his cholesteral and other things are. Some guys have to get a wake up call from the doctor before they will change. He know he needs to lose weight and is trying but it is haphazard.

Best of luck to your husband. He is further along than mine. Hopefully mine will get more serious about losing weight and eating healthy as I lose weight.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 07:50

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I certainly see this myself. My partner is doing the half-asskidkins as you describe (love that term) and has lost 11 pounds in the process while I have lost 34. She eats off the plan everyday but overall has cut carbs at the same time. I think cutting back on carbs even somewhat is helpful to most people. Last time we were on Atkins (in 2002) we both were strict and lost about 40 pounds. I miss that! It was fun to do it together and now I am pretty much on my own. Oh well, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Orchid
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 09:00

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

Carb cutting is always great!! Sounds like he is doing awesome!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 19:10

Plan: the atkins diet
Stats: 210/139/115 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up hello

My finance' is the same way. He has decided to do a low carb low fat diet? and I was like okay cool, I'll do it with you. Well, he drinks sweetned tea, mt dew,and chips?!Hmmmm Anyway over rall he isn't eating those big greasy cheeseburgers(he used to eat like 2 huge hamburgers from hardees)He has been eating a lot of chicken in which he doesn't like too well,and more veggies,and water. I think it'll take him time to adjust to this plan,and not being able to eat like he used too,it's a little harder for men who went from eating lots of carbs, to eating hardly none.I'm proud of him and I wish him the best of luck. I asked him why he decided to go on a diet,and he said because he was tired of not being able to buckle his pants aren't we all

I'd say just be patiant with your husband, at least he is trying. It'll take him some time,and congrats to him on lowering his blood presure

Good luck with the two of you.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 22:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think that's how guys diet, isn't it? It's either that or they go meat-only. I don't think there's much use trying to interest them in good nutrition. :P Like one guy said, with his version of atkins he's eating so much meat if they autopsy him they'll find a full-size male puma in his intestines or something. Men think meat is manly and vegetables are womanly. And we can't put something womanly in the system, their buddies might hear about it!

I know I'm generalizing here, but that's kind of the stereotype anyway.

And the thing that pisses me off, is they still manage to lose weight 1000% faster than we do.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 02:20

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
"half-assedKins"

Oh yes! I love that--describes my hubby! And yes, he's lost more weight than I have! He was really good at first, but now he's gotten lazy. He'll come home for lunch and grab a chicken thigh out of the fridge, or a half-can of chili and a couple of wieners. Then at dinner time we need to stuff him full of veggies. I gave him a bad time today. He came in to grab his chicken thigh and I told him there was also salad in the fridge. He sort of ignored me. Then I said, 'Oh no! That would involve actually taking a bowl out of the cupboard, putting in the salad and adding dressing!' He ate the salad!

Even so, his now method of eating is much better than before because he's staying away from sugar completely, white flour not quite completely, and generally speaking away from high-glycemic foods.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 06:14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think that's how guys diet, isn't it? It's either that or they go meat-only. I don't think there's much use trying to interest them in good nutrition. :P Like one guy said, with his version of atkins he's eating so much meat if they autopsy him they'll find a full-size male puma in his intestines or something. Men think meat is manly and vegetables are womanly. And we can't put something womanly in the system, their buddies might hear about it!

I know I'm generalizing here, but that's kind of the stereotype anyway.

And the thing that pisses me off, is they still manage to lose weight 1000% faster than we do.
That is so true, my husband could live on nothing but Hoggy's BBQ or hot wings and be happy. The only other thing he HAS to have is huge glasses of sweetened iced tea which of course defeats a low carb diet.

Last edited by fluffybear : Sun, Apr-18-04 at 09:03.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 08:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
sweetened iced tea

Couldn't manage to convince him to use artificial sweeteners?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 09:01
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Couldn't manage to convince him to use artificial sweeteners?

I wish I could and I have tried every kind including Splenda which he barely tolerates, but he still insists on regular sugar. He says he gets headaches whenever he stops drinking sugared iced tea. I assume that is from a double whammy of sugar and caffiene withdrawal. HOWEVER, I just asked him today if he would consider just drinking water at meal time and he said he would try. So I am taking it one day at a time with him.