Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-09-04, 19:55
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Dreamfields Pasta with low digestible carbs

There's a new low carb pasta on the market, Dreamfields that I've seen at Winn Dixie and Wal-Mart Superstore. Its primary ingredient is wheat semolina flour (not soy like most low carb pastas). While a serving of the pasta has 42 g carbs and only 4 g fiber (for 38 g net carbs), only 5 g of carbs are believed to be digestible. The reason is also a synergistic effect in which the pasta's particular blend of protein and fiber keeps most of the carbs from being digested.

I'm a type II diabetic and my blood sugar would rise dramatically if I ate 42 g carbs in a setting. I've tried the Dreamfield's pasta twice and it rises my blood sugar very little. For example, yesterday I ate the pasta with tomato sauce, ground beef, and some vegetables. Assuming my pasta serving had only 5 g carbs, I ate 12 g digestible carbs in the meal. My blood sugar 30 minutes and 60 minutes after eating was 60 mg/dl higher than before I ate. I normally see a blood sugar rise of about 5 mg/dl per 1 g carb eaten, so this is consistent with my eating 12 g digestible carbs. 2 hours after eating, my blood sugar was back down to its pre-prandial level. This definitely would not have happened if I had really eaten 42 g of digestible carbs. My blood sugar readings are consistent with a serving of the pasta having only 5 g digestible carbs.

By the way, the pasta tastes great--just like regular pasta as far as I can tell. (Not that I'm a pasta expert and I haven't had regular pasta in 2 years.)

Has anyone else had experience with the Dreamfields pasta?

Last edited by CarolynC : Sat, Apr-10-04 at 17:40.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 08:27

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I haven't had any experience with the Dreamfields pasta, but just wanted to comment on my own situation with "net" carbs. I'm one of those people who can't subtract fiber grams from anything. Whatever the carb content is of something, I have to count it all, as it really affects my blood sugar. I wish I was able to eat many of the low carb products, however, it is a no go with me!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 21:15
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%

I bought muellers low carb pasta today, and am making a pasta salad to take to my sisters tomorrow..will be my first foray into the l/c pastas..I will remember to bring along my bg test kit, so I can monitor it.. I should have put some aside, and just had them alone..just for testing sakes, but this brand seems to have the same' numbers' as the brand you described.. thanks..
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 17:27
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein/4 Corners Diet
Stats: 134/106/105 Female 5'0"
BF:31/23/22
Progress: 97%

Hi-

I'm new here and just bought Dreamfields. I was a little afraid to give it a try but after reading your post I'm going to forge ahead. Bella Vita pasta- which is pretty bland and mostly soy flour actually gives me a lower BG after 2 hours. Go figger. I read all about this in Rick Mendosa's site. http://www.mendosa.com/dreamfields_pasta.htm

-Deb
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 11:07
Registered Member

Unhappy

Well I tried Dreamfields, and got some pretty weird results. An hour and a half after eating it, my BG was 84. I ate it with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. At 3 hours it was 158! Jeez......what was that all about? I didn't have enough fat in there to delay a spike like that- must be that coating. So if you try it, don't only take a 2 hour reading- take another one a few hours later.

-Deb
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 14:54
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've taken 3 hr readings after eating the Dreamfields and they've been low, at the pre-prandial level. Any spike I get in eating it seems to be within the first hour and then its consistent with a low level of carbs, not a high level.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-24-04, 18:18
Registered Member

Default BG with Dreamfields- 3 hours

Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to try it again and this time eat it with a more balanced meal I kind of grazed through it and maybe got caught up in a spike from a previous higher fat snack combined with it. I'll do a 2 hour and then a 3 hour reading.

-Deb
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 13:12
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 180/165/155 Female 5' 11''
BF:
Progress:

I bought a box of the macaroni at Shoprite and made a single serving of mac and cheese. It was wonderful. Tasted just like regular pasta. No stomach "problems" with it. I do not like WW pasta and will be using this as my occassional pasta from now on.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-04, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Thumbs up

I've read about Dreamfiled on Diabetes forum, and was looking for it in different supermarkets with no success, but it was right under my nose in ouw local Safeway, just where the regular pasta is, LOL.
I've tried elbow and spagetti, and both times no impact on BGs whatsoever, i've checked pp BGs at 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours. i wasn't a big of fan of pasta before but now it's such a great way to get a variety in my diet and the family loved it too. it actually tastes better than regular pasta, and even whole wheat, which I've been cooking for my family lately. i've tried different low carb pastas made mostly from soy, and they all tasted like plastic, not to mention horrific indigestion after all. but Dreamfiled is great, now we can have pasta for dinner once in a while. i usually add some chopped vegetables when the pasta is almost cooked, and then toss it with a little bit of olive oil, or either home made pesto or tomatoe sauce. Yum!
I hope they will come up with the same technology for other grain product, so we could finally can live it up a little bit.
Cheers,
Dina
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 22:47

Plan: Personally designed
Stats: 230/208/205 Male 6' 3''
BF:
Progress:
Default Dreamfields

Hi there
Since my diagnosis of type II Diabetes in September 2004 I have been avoiding pasta completely. I came across Dreamfields products in a specialty store and was impressed by the taste. Even more, I was impressed by the blood sugar readings I got after enjoying the pasta. A fantastic product, delicious in every way, and my blood sugar seems totally unaffected by it.

Two hours after eating a large portion (at least 2 cups) of this pasta my blood sugar had risen from 6.8 to 7.7. This is a very modest change and is in keeping with the claims made by Dreamfields.

My entire meal consisted of 2 cups of penne in cream sauce with mushrooms and lobster, 2 cups of brussel sprouts, 2 glasses of red wine.

Nathan
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 09:50

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 115/115/115 Female 5'7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Type 1 tested dreamfields?

158 after a pasta meal- sounds amazing to me! any pasta screws me up- i end up having to give an extended bolus to cover its long lasting effects. that said- has any type 1 tested out dreamfields? id like to try it, but I'd prefer to do so after hearing that someone else had a successful experience with it.

thanks!
v.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 17:34

Plan: LC
Stats: 200/000/000 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 100%

..........NA.....Test really-really bad.......sorry........tumb down - for this product (I dont like anything that have soy flour in it - test really bad)
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 17:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by picaboo
..........NA.....Test really-really bad.......sorry........tumb down - for this product (I dont like anything that have soy flour in it - test really bad)

Ummm...picaboo, Dreamfields doesn't have any soy flour in it. I'm a little confused as to whether you're saying that Dreamfields made you spike or whether you just test bad for soy pasta?
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 01:11

Plan: Free-range
Stats: 161/154/140 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

has any Type 1 tested out Dreamfields?
I did, and found it made next to no difference to my bGs....BUT...I only use like 6-8 pieces broken into 1" long bits, and added to a meal-for-one homemade curry or casserole type dish. This helps to 'thicken' the liquid too.

I do not ever use it as a base for a pre-low-carb-type meat sauce and pasta dish.

I am quite sure it would likely contribute to after-meal spikes if eaten ad lib.

........Eve
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 16:08

Plan: my own
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress:

I have tried it, it is very good, others have tried it also with no noticeable increase in bg,s. However I was told that the 5 gram serving is 2 oz. and preferably not to overcook it, it might not work for all, but from all I have read, it works for many, I just found mine in my local Jewel.
Sharon