Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:07

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Question Sunbathing

Do any of you sunbathe like they recommend in Protein Power LifePlan? I've been reading a lot about Americans lacking Vitamin D because they stay mostly indoors and wear sunscreen most of the time. They recommend 5-30 mintues of sun exposure a day with no protection.
What do you guys think??
Carole
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 15:32

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Honestly?

I just cannot recommend unprotected sun exposure.

There are 2 types of ultraviolet radiation (well, 3, but the UVC rays don't make it through out atmosphere): UVA and UVB.

Although UVA rays are not as powerful as UVB, they penetrate deeper into the skin. They are responsible for (1) wrinkling of the skin, (2) premature aging, and (3) CANCER.

UVB rays are shorter but stronger. They are the primary cause of (1) sunburn, (2) skin aging, and (3) CANCER.

Many people think that if they don't burn easily, they are better protected. Nope. UVA rays are still doing their damage as well. Most tanning salons up the UVA rays to make it less likely to burn. But the DAMAGE is still there.

Also, with higher altitude, the effects increase. (There's less atmosphere, so less natural protection.)

I'd go for the Vitamin D suppliment - or even better - foods high in Vitamin D.

With skin cancer #1 (or at least up there) in the ranks of cancers, I wouldn't play around with it at all...not if there was another way.

If you feel that you need the unprotected exposure, please keep it short!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Talking

I like the sun. I love being outdoors but I'm not foolish about it (like I was in school). I wear sunscreen when I know I'll be out for extensive lengths of time, but I don't think short soaks (5 mins or so) will hurt more than help.

But then again...I live in San Antonio and I think I'm a perfect candidate for SAD...too many days without some sunshine and I get very blah and unmotivated..usually my WORST days staying on the wagon.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 16:26
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

For a few weeks in January, I was able to sit in my utility room, prop the door open, and soak up a few rays. (Remember, I'm in Canada. That winter sun is pretty weak. ) I felt great. Then, it got unbearably cold and miserable, and stayed that way. As soon as the weather warms up above freezing again, and if we actually get some sun , I'll soak up some rays again. In terms of my winter depression, the benefits greatly outweigh the minimal risk.

In summer, I don't deliberately tan, just go about my daily business and try to stay in the shade most of the time. I walk everywhere 'cause I have no car. By the end of the summer, I usually get barely-visible marks from my watch and my sandals. Just barely.

lpioch - I felt the way you did until I read the chapter on sun exposure in Protein Power Lifeplan. It's rather long, but I'll sum it up with this question: how can it be that we evolved as outdoor creatures, and yet it's only in the last few generations that we have a serious skin cancer problem? Just as I don't believe it when "they" tell us that we're fat because there's too much fat in our diet - never mind the fact that there's been loads of fat in our diet for *millenia* - I don't believe "them" when they tell me that I'll get skin cancer if I don't slather chemicals all over my skin. I only wear sunscreen if I know I won't be able to get out of the sun. Other than that, I don't worry about it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 17:37
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Ya, I'd sure like to know how I'm supposed to sit outside on my freezing cold deck and sunbathe. I couldn't figure that one out when I read PPLP. Like, just expose your face to the sun while everything else is bundled? That even seemed like a good idea at the time when I was reading the book in 95 degree weather.....

Wanda
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:06
Registered Member

Wink right!

Kristine...I was going to add that my grandfather lived in Galveston (a coastal area) for the last 30 of his 86 years and I don't think he EVER wore sunscreen or t-shirt when working in the yard! His back was the color of tanned leather and he never once got any form of skin cancer. Then I have a friend who slathers on the sunscreen and staysout of the sun religiously but she has to visit a dermatologist every 4 months because of "suspicious" spots on her back.

I truly believe that each person is different and there are just some people who, on a cellular level, react adversly to UV rays (like Jenn) and others (like my grandpa) who don't. It's still a good idea to protect yourself when you know you'll be out for a very long time...because it's just smart...I really think that if you're going to get cancer...you're going to get cancer.

....sending ya'll some beautiful sunshine
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 08:40

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Hard to tell where the truth lies...

I agree...it's hard to tell where the truth lies. And I definitely agree that this type of thing differs from person to person.

I approach it from my background (in physics and EE). Studying effects of radiation in general, I know that it can be used to alter cellular composition. And everytime I think of this topic, the images of radiation on ANY surface comes to mind. When I think of that surface as my skin, I get nervous.

I'm also the type of person who can turn just a little pink in 10 to 20 minutes time in the sun. Signs of UVB damage...which also means I've had UVA damage (although that's not immediately visible).

As for our ancesters, I agree. They were not protected with the chemicals and whatnot that we have today.
But they also didn't live nearly as long as we do either, and who knows how many of them did die from skin cancer. It just wan't something known.
To some extent, maybe we evolved less hairy because we evolved to seek more shade/shelter. Who knows.

Also, it's been only the last few generations that tanning and being "dark" toned was "in". In the years and centuries before, it was fair, creamy white skin that was desired - because it was a sign that you were rich enough not to have to labor in the fields.

I don't know about the rate of skin cancer in caucasions versus other skin tones. I suspect we whiteies have the least natural protection in our skin. And we do have some...And I know I don't have much of it! ('cause I do pink so easily)

But I do know that skin cancer is HUGE and FREQUENT. And, although it can be caught and eliminated at early stages, that's one sucker I don't want to even come near if I don't have to.

-- Loretta
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 11:25
Registered Member

Stats: 307/168/155
BF:
Progress: 91%

Good points, also location as mentioned will determine your length of exposure. The closer you go to the equator the more intense it gets. Where I lived before in northern Cal I'd see a sunburn if out for 30 minutes, here in AZ where I moved I can see a burn in as little as 15 minutes, thats with a latitude change of about 600 miles further south. I guess you have to use common sense of course. Sorry to hear about all the bad weather further north, we're in the low 80's right now... (don't worry we get paid back in a month or two where it never drops below 80 even at night...)

Kindest Regards,

LoneInAz
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 20:49

Plan: Schwarzbein and Zone (love Dr. Weil too!)
Stats: 155/146/145
BF:???
Progress: 90%
Thumbs up

I did about 20 minutes of "sunbathing" today. It was 75 degrees, which is really warm for this time of year in Nebraska. It felt great. I'm looking forward to getting a little color this year, I've been pale for years. I've decided it's okay to get 20-45 minutes of sun per day, working up gradually. Then, I'll wear SPF the rest of the time.
Carole
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:32
Registered Member

Talking

Carole...glad you got some of my sun!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-03, 14:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I got some sun yesterday, too. I sat outside and read the newspaper, just face and arms exposed. It was only 20 minutes or so. Man, it felt good! I hope spring has finally sprung!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 02:42

Stats: 220/186/175
BF:
Progress: 76%

There was a rather long discussion about this topic here >>> http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=38328
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:25

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 276/269/125 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

The problem that I have with the "our ancestors" argument is the our ancestors also didn't have such a large damage to the enviroment as we do. The earth's atmosphere has been changed by humans.

I don't know which is right, which is wrong, but I try to stay out of the sun. For one, I don't like it much, and two... as a redhead, I burn easy.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:04

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Cool The truth is easy!

UV radiatian is harmful to everybody. Yes depending on your genes some people don't have any problem say with skin cancer. But the sun exposure is responsible for 95% of your wrinkles as you get older. So if you are a women who wants to have beautiful skin for as long as possible then protect yourself (don't go in the sun and don't smoke) even if you tan. Strangely enough UV radiation was just added to the government list of carcinogens along with wood dust. It took long enough! People who tan easy and have dark to black skin are least likely to get skin cancer. People who are fair skinned are most likely to have problems. There is a theory of the evolution of skin color that involves absorption of UV radiation. People near the equator have dark skin - black blocks the absorption of UV. People in the north need more UV so they have fair skin. If you are fairskinned and have gone in the sun as a kid - you have enough sun exposure by the time you are 18 to have cancer later in life. The sun does damage to your cells and then it takes a number of years - say 20 to slowly change into cancer. So you have little time bombs in your skin. My doctor can look at your skin with a special camera and it shows all the sun damaged skin that you can not see with the eye. If you are fair skinned and have moles please go to a dermatologist and get a screening for potential skin cancer. If you have a bad cancerous mole (melanoma) that goes deep - little pieces can break off and start cancer all over your body - you will only have 3 years max to live - very deadly. I am a walking talking cash cow for my dermatologist - have had about a dozen basil cell cancers removed from my face and arms plus about 25 slightly abnormal moles. The sun is poison for me now! Unfortunately not every thing Doctors say is good advice. I heard at one time Doctors mistakes kill 50,000 people a year. So Eades may have many good points but their sun advice is just plain uninformed and contrary to the scientific evidence and what Dermatologists know. Anybody who is pale and thinks they can work up a tan is fooling themselves they are only damaging their skin. Unfortunately you don't find out until 20 years later.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 08:37
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I don't tan, I blister and turn into a lobster. A lobster AFTER he's been boiled!
But I would think that just driving without tinted windows would be enough, wouldn't it?
I drive 45 minutes to get to work (night shift, but I drive in the daylight)
BTW, I live in Central Florida!

Last edited by Quinadal : Thu, May-01-03 at 08:38.