Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 17:00

Plan: CAD
Stats: 233/176/155
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default Are veggies necessary on CM?

I have a question that I hope someone can answer: Do we have to eat lc veggies with both of our CMs?

Usually I skip breakfast, then eat my RM at lunchtime (that's when DH wants his big meal). I'm usually not very hungry again until about 5:00, when I get the munchies. I usually just feel like eating some pork rinds or a piece of cheese then. Would that be acceptable? I then have my CM at about 7 or 8 PM - just a few eggs, or meat with some salad or radishes. I've been at a plateau for weeks, so I wonder if I'm doing something wrong

I would appreciate any input you all might have, especially about whether or not we have to have lc veggies with our CMs or if we can just eat protein. Thanks.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 18:49
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes, unless it's breakfast. You can get away without veggies if it's breakfast. A lot of CAs do.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 19:25

Stats: 233/176/155
BF:
Progress: 73%

Thanks, Zuleikaa, for the input. I wonder if the protein and the lc veggies produce some kind of chemical reaction that helps us to lose weight. Just wondering.

Karen

Last edited by Karen Fait : Fri, Jan-24-03 at 19:30.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 13:19

Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

We all need veggies, they are extremely important for our nutritional health. They are jam packed with nutrients that our body needs daily, so leaving them out is never good.

Most of them are also low in calories as well, so eating mostly veggies and protein gives you a combo of goodies to help you lose.

Protein raises metabolism and also contains fat to keep you from emptying your stomach early (like you would if you ate high carbs).. ie, it keeps you full. Veggies are low in calories, which helps to keep those down, and also are packed with vitamins and minerals.

Almost all low-carb diets are also lowcalorie in disguise. By keeping you fuller, longer, it is reducing the amount of food you eat, therefore reducing your calories. So while it is not important to really "count" calories, it happens automatically.

I'm not a scientist or anything, but from all the studies I've read on this and other woe's this would be my most educated guess at why proteins and veggies work well together to create weight loss.

Hope it helps!