Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (new)
Stats: 223/205/140 Female 5 feet six inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Ketosis

I lost about 20 lbs doing low carb a year and a half ago, but did not maintain the lifestyle or the weight loss. I have 50 lbs to lose and am back on the Atkins plan, in my second week of induction. I have a question I hope one of you can answer. I was back in ketosis on day three of induction this time. As was my experience the last time, I lost about six pounds the first three days, but gained five of them back and have now lost only a total of one pound. I was a slow loser then and apparently, I still am. I welcome any input you guys can give me. I have gone back on and off Atkins a few times in the last year and a half, but have almost made it through induction this time and plan to stick with it. It is frustrating to see friends lose so fast, but I am such a turtle. I started at 188, am now 187. I have had a few low carb ice creams so I guess I have not really stayed with induction. The Turkey Hill low carb Peanut Butter Paradise is out of this world. There are many more selections since I last did this plan, and much more support for it. Any other yo-yo dieters out there that can give me some inspiration? Thanks for the help. Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-27-04, 09:31

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 260/238.8/160 Female 5 ft 8 inches
BF:49%/48%/20%
Progress: 21%

If there is malitol in that ice cream, that could be your issue. I know that I was eating sugar alcohols and it was causing me to stall and sometimes gain. Try to be pretty clean with induction and you will see those pounds come off again. I can ingest other sweetners without issues, but sugar alcohols are absorbed by the body and can cause the gain (and more than likely it is water). I have found very few of the new low-carb foods out there that are actually low-carb friendly. Be weary of the "net" carb labels. Unless it is fiber, I wouldn't deduct it. I know that it is hard to hear, especially when you see all of the choices out there making it easier to stick with this WOL, but you will thank me in the end and you can always use those products once you hit goal to maintain.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 00:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I concur. I lost very easily on Atkins before and have found it much harder this time around. But it helps a lot to avoid that stuff and do a clean induction. Even now, several months in, I limit the LC ice cream to once a week at the most, and just one serving, and I stick to ones that are low in sugar alcohols (like Keto brand).

Also, so many things can affect your day-to-day weight. Is it your time of the month? That can cause a gain. Have you eaten more salt than usual or had less water? That can cause a gain. Have you started exercising? That causes your muscles to hang onto water and can cause a gain.

I'm obsessive about the scale, so I understand weighing every day, but you should also use a tape measure. Many times people lose inches while not losing pounds.

If none of this works, there's plenty more to try. For me, I had to adjust my calories (increase them) and add some supplements, along with limiting the sugar alcohols. But after being stuck for several months, I've finally moved down a few pounds AND a whole size. So hang in there!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 05:28
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach (new)
Stats: 223/205/140 Female 5 feet six inches
BF:
Progress: 22%
Talking losing finally!

Well, the scale is moving down......I have been on for two weeks now, and I have lost five pounds, so I guess that is pretty good! Especially since I have been indulging in the low carb ice cream. I have found that drinking all the water is essential, as is eating the veggies. If I don't do those, I don't seem to lose. Thanks for your response. Cheryl
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 09:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/268.5/145 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 12%

Congrads, I knew you could do it. You just have to find out what works for you. Peg
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-29-04, 13:47
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Good job!! And yeah, it's all very individual.

Aside from the calories, I'm finding that if I drop my carbs too low (by not getting my veggies in one day or something), I get stuck right away.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-22-04, 15:46
Registered Member

Stats: 183/183/125 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi everyone! I feel like I am losing slower that a turtle. I have been on Atkins for a month and lost ten pounds and then gained 2 back. I've been super strict and doing induction since day one. I'm beginngin to get a bit obsessive about it which is not healthy I could sure use some support!

Congratulations to you all!! It's amazing to be part of such a supportive and caring group
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-28-04, 11:40

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Smile Muscle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoJF
Hi everyone! I feel like I am losing slower that a turtle. I have been on Atkins for a month and lost ten pounds and then gained 2 back. I've been super strict and doing induction since day one. I'm beginngin to get a bit obsessive about it which is not healthy I could sure use some support!

Congratulations to you all!! It's amazing to be part of such a supportive and caring group

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you start exercising - it is sometimes seen as a gain on the scales. The benefit cannot be seen there. This is why taking measurements is good back up. Best of luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-05-04, 08:43

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Here is my input. Stop thinking of this as a weightloss diet. This isn't something that you go on and off.

I have not lost a pound in a year but I continue watching my carbs. I live the low carb lifestyle and continue to lose inches. I check my blood glucose and lipids which are exemplary. Eventually something will have to give. But, nothing will give if I jump off this way of eating.

Don't give the diet a few days and believe that you are stalled if nothing moves. During the time that you think that you are stalled, learn to make this your way of eating.