Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 09:22

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default horseradish sauce without seed oil

They make good mayo now (Primal Kitchen, Chosen Foods) without seed oils (soy, canola, corn, sunflower, etc.) How about horseradish sauce?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-20, 05:52

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

There's a couple of companies around here that make just plain "prepared horseradish" - no oils, just ground horseradish, vinegar, and salt. The last one I bought, the vinegar was overwhelming, but once I drained off the excess, it was fine.

I googled, and found a few recipes for horseradish sauce - seems like a quick mix of prepared horseradish, mayo, sour cream, and sometimes a couple of other ingredients, such as mustard.

If you can't find prepared horseradish to make your own sauce, I also found a couple recipes to make your own - apparently also a quick mix in a food processor, using small pieces of fresh horseradish, vinegar, and salt.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-07-20, 16:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Also easy to grow in many zones. It hardy like a weed. Lol
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 22:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
There's a couple of companies around here that make just plain "prepared horseradish" - no oils, just ground horseradish, vinegar, and salt. The last one I bought, the vinegar was overwhelming, but once I drained off the excess, it was fine.

I googled, and found a few recipes for horseradish sauce - seems like a quick mix of prepared horseradish, mayo, sour cream, and sometimes a couple of other ingredients, such as mustard.

If you can't find prepared horseradish to make your own sauce, I also found a couple recipes to make your own - apparently also a quick mix in a food processor, using small pieces of fresh horseradish, vinegar, and salt.
^ Thanks - that's what I'll do. I get Golds White Horseradish from Whole Foods and I can mix my own.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-20, 03:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ina Garten's recipe with two kinds of mustard is very popular, a good guide for proportions, but the recipe is very flexible. I use one grainy mustard and squeeze of lemon to "brighten" the taste. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...h-sauce-5458029
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-20, 14:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Ina Garten's recipe with two kinds of mustard is very popular, a good guide for proportions, but the recipe is very flexible. I use one grainy mustard and squeeze of lemon to "brighten" the taste. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes...h-sauce-5458029
^ Nice. Will try that one also.

#7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-20, 22:54

BF:

Tried finding some good ingredient (no sugar lol) whole-grain mustard and kept rolling snake eyes (translation sugar sugar everywhere!).

I did get some Annie's Organic Horseradish Mustard at Whole Foods:

Ingredients
Apple Cider Vinegar Water, Mustard Seed Sea Salt, Horseradish Root Garlic, Natural Horseradish Flavor, Clove.

Also got a couple bottles of Gold’s Prepared Horseradish:

INGREDIENTS:
Horseradish, Vinegar and Salt. Keep Refrigerated.

^ At least those last two could only have .5 or less sugar carb grams per serving that the f d a allows lol (not a laughing matter, but what are you going to do?).

_

Last edited by s93uv3h : Tue, Aug-11-20 at 23:37.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 08:45

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Tried finding some good ingredient (no sugar lol) whole-grain mustard and kept rolling snake eyes (translation sugar sugar everywhere!).

I did get some Annie's Organic Horseradish Mustard at Whole Foods:

Ingredients
Apple Cider Vinegar Water, Mustard Seed Sea Salt, Horseradish Root Garlic, Natural Horseradish Flavor, Clove.

Also got a couple bottles of Gold’s Prepared Horseradish:

INGREDIENTS:
Horseradish, Vinegar and Salt. Keep Refrigerated.

^ At least those last two could only have .5 or less sugar carb grams per serving that the f d a allows lol (not a laughing matter, but what are you going to do?).

_
Maybe just use a spicy brown mustard instead - You'll need to check the label of course, but they usually don't have any sugars added, and often have chunks of coarsely ground mustard seed in them.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 13:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I know Grey Poupon dijon mustard contains sugar. But I usually find it easy to find mustard without sugar. At least it was in the days when I still went to the grocery store and could check all the labels.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-20, 01:00

BF:

Yup - I've got a container full of good ingredient mustard. That horseradish mustard is very tasty on my left over prime rib.