Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 08:09

Plan: starting Bernstein
Stats: 160/147/125 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default "Just Like Sugar" sweetener product

Has anyone tried this yet? It's supposed to be a healthy alternative to artificial sweeteners with no bad effects for diabetics. Here is their web site:

http://www.justlikesugarinc.com/

I don't mind using stevia, but my husband objects to the taste, and I don't like using chemical sweeteners. This might be the answer. The low carb coconut cake recipe from NancyLC sounds so good, it has me motivated to try it with this new product (new to me, anyway). NancyLC gives the link to the recipe in her comments on this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...threadid=408092
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 08:12

BF:

Sorry, correction! Even though it has lots of coconut product in it, NancyLC's recipe is entitled "Cranberry Walnut Bread." I saw the coconut ingredients and immediately had an affinity because I love coconut anything. At any rate, I am eager to try it. The other recipes she has posted look great, too.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 08:50

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

That is interesting as I'm always on the look out for new sugar substitutes.
I've not found the perfect one for baking and have still to try liquid sucralose.

Have you tried the product ? There is no information on their site for lists of stores or online sellers that sell the product.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 09:29

BF:

Here is the store list from the site, plus they do have online ordering, they say. I have not tasted it yet. I definitely will be trying one of the stores closest to me. I think I also read on their site that you could order a sample, but I don't remember where I saw it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 09:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina
Here is the store list from the site, plus they do have online ordering, they say. I have not tasted it yet. I definitely will be trying one of the stores closest to me. I think I also read on their site that you could order a sample, but I don't remember where I saw it.

I went onto the UK site and ordered a sample but couldn't find the store locater ?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 09:48

BF:

Maybe you can't buy it in stores in UK? I just found some good and some not-so-good reviews of the product online. I googled "just like sugar" reviews. I guess one has to see if it is tolerated well or not, according to the person. I live not too far from a Whole Foods, so I think I will buy a small jar of it and see how it goes.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 10:00

BF:

I'll get some from WF's when visiting the states.

Let me know what you think of it. It's strange that the company isn't doing more advertising to promote the product.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 10:21

BF:

I'll post back here on this thread after I get hold of some.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 10:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katerina
I'll post back here on this thread after I get hold of some.

Can't wait for your feedback.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 12:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

That link to "Just like sugar" just was annoying flash stuff. What's in it?

The Cranberry Walnut Bread isn't my recipe, I just liked it a whole lot. Splenda works very well in it. I would think xylitol/erythritol, Slimsweet, a lot of other sweeteners would work well too. I'm not a fan of Stevia, although I'm going to try out the new one that's Stevia and Ery. I think they process the stevia and get rid of the bitterness.

Erythritol and xylitol are both derived from plants and/or fermentation, as is Slimsweet (chinese lo han fruit). However Xylitol may cause gas but Ery won't. Usually mixing a couple of sweeteners together makes them work synergistically so you can use less and they mask each other's faults. So perhaps combining Stevia with another sweetener will make it taste better.

Anyway, those are all sweeteners I would consider "natural", or at least as natural as sugar is. You'll have to figure out how much to use yourself. E. is less sweet than sugar (70% as sweet). But combining it with another sweetener will make it stronger. I'd just guess and taste the raw batter and adjust as necessary.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 13:27

BF:

Here is what they say on the site:

Just Like SugarŪ contains no sugar alcohols and does not cause the laxative effects like other artficial sweetners on the market today.

Just Like SugarŪ enhanced composition is a source of natural dietary fiber obtained from Chicory Root and vitamin C, which should be essential ingredients in everyone's daily diet.

Just Like SugarŪ comprises a perfect blend of:
Chicory Root
Dietary Fiber
Vitamin C
Calcium
And all Natural Flavors from the peel of the Orange.

0 Calories
0 Sugar
0 Fat
0 Cholesterol
0 Sodium
0 Carbohydrates
0 Protein

It does not contain any soy, yeast, animal derivatives, No “MSG”, No L-Glutamic Acid, No D-Glutamic Acid, No Aspartic Acid or preservatives; it is not fermentable and will not promote tooth decay.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 13:56
Experimenter

BF:

Are you sure it's a sweetener? It sounds like it just replaces the bulk in sugar, not the actual sweetener. There isn't any ingredient listed there that is sweet. It's bizarre they don't list the ingredients, they just tell you what's not in it.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Feb-18-10 at 14:02.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 14:04
Experimenter

BF:

Oh here we go... http://www.livinlowcarbdiscussion.c...ad.php?tid=4159 It's inulin or ogliofruc... something.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 14:44

BF:

So where does that put us for diabetic concerns? Is it neutral, or should a pre-diabetic or diabetic not use it?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-18-10, 15:32

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I don't know, katerina. I was told by a diabetic person that fructose isn't a good idea for diabetics. OTOH, I'm imagining that the amount must be really tiny per use. I'm no purist but just giving a heads-up.