Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 14:11

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 174/163/105 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default "Expirary Date" to Induction?

I've got a lot of weight to lose and was wondering if I will keep losing it if I keep staying on induction. Will my body get used to it and will I stop losing weight if I'm on induction for over 6 months- 1 year?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 205/194.8/135 Female 5'3''
BF:49.5%/47%/28%
Progress: 15%

Hi mintyshiny,

We're on the same boat. I started two weeks ago. Since I want to lose 70lbs I already knew that I would stay on Induction for a while. How long? That depends on how I feel and how the weight is coming off. I don't believe there's a ''one size fits all'' plan, you have to go with the flow.

After two weeks I've lost 9.2lbs, was aiming 12... You always loose a lot in the beginning (most of it water). And for sure it will slow down as you go along. Me I'm waiting a bit before adding exercise to my program, trying to lose as much as I can without it, then add some to continue losing. Also I've decided to do intermittent fasting, IF, all this to make sure I my body doesn't get comfortable and stop losing...

I've heard people staying on Induction for 6 months and more, if you can hold on I say why not

I'm planning to stay in induction for at least one month, maybe two if the weight comes out fast!!

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 14:56

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

In DANDR the only instruction about how long to stay in induction is the mention that you should have completed the second phase of Atkins (ongoing weight loss/OWL) and be ready to move to the third phase (premaintenance) by the time you have between 5 and 10 pounds to lose (at the start of chapter 16).

However from what I have seen written around the support boards I visit it is easier to do OWL properly (and therefore know what foods you can use when at goal without problems) if you are at the "losing a few pounds a week" stage rather than the "losing maybe a pound a fortnight" stage we get to when we are near our goal weight, so don't overstay your induction.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 14:56
One Day At a Time

Plan: Mod. Atkins
Stats: 225/225/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good question! I am looking forward to the answers to this as I love induction and could stay on it forever, until I lost all my weight so I am looking forward to some experienced replies to this.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 17:16

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 174/163/105 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbjones
Also I've decided to do intermittent fasting, IF, all this to make sure I my body doesn't get comfortable and stop losing...

I've heard people staying on Induction for 6 months and more, if you can hold on I say why not

I'm planning to stay in induction for at least one month, maybe two if the weight comes out fast!!

Good luck!

Thanks newbjones!

I've also heard that if you increase your carb intake and then decrease it, it will give your body a change and so will help shed a couple of pounds? Maybe it's the same idea as the fast... how do you plan to fast?
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 17:55

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyshiny
I've got a lot of weight to lose and was wondering if I will keep losing it if I keep staying on induction. Will my body get used to it and will I stop losing weight if I'm on induction for over 6 months- 1 year?

You may, or you may not continue to lose if you stay on induction - some do, and some start losing faster if they move on to OWL. And why would you want to stay on induction? How will you ever learn how to keep it off when you get to goal? You won't know your CCLL (critical carb level for losing) nor your CCLM (level for maintaining), and you won't have learned what your trigger foods are. It's much more difficult to do this after you get to goal!

Also, you don't really have a lot of weight to lose -- there are many folks on here who have 100, 200, even 300 pounds to lose. They're the ones who often benefit by staying on induction for a lengthy time but even they benefit by slowly working their way up the carb ladder.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-13-11, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 205/194.8/135 Female 5'3''
BF:49.5%/47%/28%
Progress: 15%

Increase the carb?? Don't know about that one. The only time I've heard of raising carbs to reduce it again is right before an intense workout that would need you to have energy to sustain it properly, 'cause your body takes more time to transform fat into energy then carbs (don't quote me on that one

As for fasting: my last meal was last night around 6pm, so I didn't eat anything beside drink water until tonight at 6h30pm = 24h fast! That easy I plan on doing an other day on Wednesday. I fasted before, (not in the same context) so it was ok/easy for me to do 24h like that. If you are new to fasting it's best to just delay your breakfast of one hour every day until you fast for the number of hours you need. There's a lot of info about it on this forum...take a look.

I know fasting is good for the body, giving it a brake from digesting and boosting your growth hormones and ketones (we love ketones)... and much more. I personally is adding it to my program to make sure my weight loss doesn't slow down too much... When the weight slows down in the beginning it's a bit discouraging, but this time around I think I'll be more patient...