Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-11, 07:13

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%
Smile Hello!!

Hi, I haven't been on for awhile. I'm Betsy...married.......5 kids.....and, #6 on the way.

I've been very successful with LC and want to learn all I can to stay on it while pregnant. My last pregnancy, in '09, I gained 50 pounds. I've lost it all, but have no desire to repeat that.

For whatever reason, (I'm hoping to figure it out) I don't lose weight while breastfeeding. Don't gain, don't lose. So, whatever weight I gain while pregnant, I'm stuck with 'til BF is over. Hopefully, I can change that this time around??

I'm looking forward to meeting you all!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-11, 20:29

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

Hi Betsy. Wow 5 kids plus a new one on the way!!! I have such new found respect for moms with lots of kids now that I have two under 3. So with both my pregnancies I had gestational diabetes and was on LC diets. I can say for sure that the less processed foods you eat the better for weight gain and recovery. My first pregnancy I did "the best I could" with my diet and no exercise and gained 50-60 lbs! I learned my lesson as I had to use insulin to control my blood sugars and ended up with a c-section. If you watch the movie "the business of being born" you will see pretty much what happened to me and why I ended up with a non emergency c-section. The next time around I was determined to have a natural birth out of the hospital, which required I stay off insulin. This time I lifted weights and was very good with my diet and controlled my sugars much better. I only gained 35 lbs. Afterwards, I lost almost all the weight by 2 months postpartum then got a cold for 3 weeks and ate whatever and my weight started to go up! 4 lbs up! Not good. I got serious and began the Atkins Induction for the first time. I eat no processed food for the most part but do not calorie count and eat when hungry. I have lost 10 lbs and am doing very well. Milk supply is fine too. I would say from my experience I could have been more restrictive with my carbs but probably not induction levels during pregnancy. Perhaps 40-60g a day instead and eliminated flour and sugar. Good luck - I know how hard it is to lose a bunch of pregnancy weight. I am happy to say I am below my start weight but need to go down another 15-20 so have a road ahead. I feel great on induction and only have one more day but plan on staying restrictive till the new year or my goal is reached, which ever comes first. Probably going to keep away from flour and sugar going forward. They are just trouble if you tend to gain weight. Good luck in what ever you decide to do. I am sure you will do what is right for you and baby!