Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 01:20
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 195/150/140
BF:
Progress: 82%
Talking

This is my absolute favorite bread recipe from the low carb supplied recipes here.

Gabi's
World-Famous Bread

Ingredients:
1 pkg dry yeast (Rapid Rise/Highly Active)
1/2 teaspoon sugar *
1 1/8 cup "baby bottle warm" water (90-100°F)
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon Splenda
1 cup Wheat Gluten Flour **
1/4 cup oat flour
3/4 cup soy flour
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup coarse unprocessed wheat bran

Pour yeast into bottom of bread machine pan. Add sugar and water. Stir, and let sit. (This is "proofing" your yeast to see if your yeast is alive. If it's not bubbling, it's dead and you can replace it without wasting all of the other ingredients).

In the meantime, mix all other dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add oil to bread machine pan. Add mixed dry ingredients. Set your machine to the basic cycle (3-4 hours) and bake.

Cool on a rack and enjoy.

SEE INSTRUCTIONS FOR MAKING BREAD WITHOUT A MACHINE AT BOTTOM OF PAGE

* The sugar is totally consumed by the yeast and does not contribute to the carb count. I keep a few packets of restaurant sugar on-hand for this purpose so I never have to have a supply of actual sugar in the house.

** "I've had best results using "Bob's Red Mill: Vital Wheat Gluten Flour". Whatever brand you use should be 6 grams (no fiber) per 1/4 cup on label and approx. 75% - 80% protein. It works great, keeps the taste and texture just like bakery bread, and keeps the carb count very low." - Lora

Makes 16 slices. 3.4 carbs per slice.

ADDITIONAL NOTE FROM LORA: The above basic instructions are Gabi Moeller's original ones. Please remember that your machine may require changes. Refer to the instructions that come with your bread machine - making note of any special instructions for specialty or "gluten" breads. I own a West Bend Deluxe with horizontal baking pan. To get mine perfect, I add water and oil to bottom of pan, then dry ingredients, then yeast sprinkled evenly on top. After initial kneading cycle (about 40 minutes), I stop the machine's kneading paddles so as not to over-work the dough, then finish baking in bread machine. The loaf comes out picture perfect, high and traditionally bread-like. With low-carb bread, I definitely discovered that practice makes perfect.

TO MAKE BREAD WITHOUT A MACHINE:
Follow the recipe in the same order as for the bread machine.
After you mix and knead all of the ingredients together, put the dough in a clean bowl and set it into a warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes to an hour (one option is to turn on your oven for a pre-heat for a minute and a half to get it warm, then turn it completely off before setting the dough in to let it rise in the oven.) The dough should rise to about twice its original size. Afterward, knead slightly (do not over-knead - the gluten content will keep this bread from rising well the second time unlike "regular" bread! You'll want to be careful not to handle the dough too much after it rises the first time.) Put it in a loaf pan, cover and set in warm draft free place for another 30-45 minutes, and then bake at 380 degrees until done. (35-45 minutes - depending on your oven, you may have to shorten or lengthen the time.)

home welcome my story journal shopping smart tips & ideas product reviews recipes site faq articles
announcements books & more links in the news dining out guide contacting us newsletter guestbook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2001 low carb Luxury. All rights reserved.
Use of this site constitutes your acceptance of our Terms and Conditions.
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com Developer: Accent Design Studios.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 21:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default bread recipe

Thanks for sharing Gabi's Bread Recipe with those who may not have it.

I started a new thread rather than keeping the recipe in the Mock Danish Thread, this way more folks are apt. to find it again if they search for bread recipes.

Sharon
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-01, 17:56
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 195/150/140
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up

Good thinking Sharon....thanks

Marcie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 15:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/140
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Just made this recipe...

and even my kids like the taste!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 20:40

Plan: Maintenence-Atkins
Stats: 160/129/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 155%

This is the same bread I posted last week in this forum.....It's great!! I like to toast it and put my chicken salad on it!!
Keep it in the fridge though, because it molds easier and faster.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 20:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 240/220/170
BF:34%/29%/15%
Progress: 29%
Default bread

THANK YOU, bread, or my love for it was my worst "threat" thank you so much, now to try my baking skills.